iPad Pro Initial Pencil impressions, after SP3...(disappointed).

Discussion in 'iPad' started by David58117, Nov 18, 2015.

1. David58117, Nov 18, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2015

David58117 macrumors 65816

I'm coming from a SP3, and just picked up a Pencil. This may be a bit nitpicky, but...

The tip is very loud when writing on the glass. Much louder than the SP3, and I think I would actually be a bit nervous using this in a quiet environment. With the SP3, I took it to libraries, lecture halls, etc, and never had this issue.

Also - why is it so slippery to hold? The balance is ok, but I feel like my grip starts slipping.

Apparently, I got very accoustomed to having a button by your thumb that you use to erase. Having to stop writing, look for an erase button, click it, erase, then click it again - is a very unnecessary process, especially if you have to erase a lot like I do..

I'm giving the apps the benefit of the doubt that once updated and with more time, they will be amazing.

But argh, I'm slightly disappointed..

Build quality wise - absolutely not worth the $100 they're asking. It seems fragile and like you're holding plastic. With the SP3 pen, I had two and tossed one in my bag as a back up. I don't feel like the apple pencil would survive..

I'm also incredibly amazed that there's no area to hold the pencil on the iPad pro itself. Yes, there is a magnet on the iPad (Smart Cover?) , but it's clearly not for the pencil. If you turn the iPad vertical and even lightly move it - it falls off. And when it's resting horizontally on the iPad (why would this be needed?), it sticks out, and is literally physically on top of the iPad.

I thought the SP3 magnet was weak (it is), but at least it held the pen, and was on the side of the tablet. While it would fall off too if you weren't careful, at least it was secure enough for me to attach it, turn it around/any way I want, pass it around, etc - that's not happening with the pencil.

Instead we get "It won't roll off a table" - who cares? You're going to need a separate case or holder for it anyway, just put it in that, rather than somewhere loose on a table.

Am I wrong about any of the above, or are there solutions I'm missing?

Edit -

Also, is there a screen capture option? With the SP3, I could just double tap (or hold?) the top button, and it would take a screen shot of the screen, and allow you to crop whatever you want. It was very, very handy during some lectures..

Grr, I'm using Notability...if I lift the pencil off the screen and my hand touches the screen, it starts writing. This may be wrong, but I think I remember on the SP3 and OneNote, only the pen would write and grazing it would be picked up as a touch input...which all you had to do was lower the pen, and it (the keyboard) would automatically lower a disappear. That was across the OS. For some reason, I thought for sure apple would have that as well. It's small, but feels like such a step backwards..

2. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

This concerns me. I too need the eraser often. Hopefully the app developers will come up with alternatives such as using finger touch to erase.

3. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

Any one try to use the pencil on the iPad air 2 ?

4. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Already reported as not registering any input at all.

5. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

I suspect they were designed for different purposes. The Surface styluses are meant to be more general-purpose, while the Apple Pencil seems like it was designed for artists. They probably figured that most iPad Pros would be used in a less mobile fashion, and the Pencil was designed accordingly.

It's too bad, in a way... I was really hoping for a Surface-like solution, to have a proper stylus for writing with. The Pencil is a lot larger than I was expecting. It feels nice in the hand, but carrying it around seems like it'd be a chore...

6. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

iPad Air 3 w/ the new Apple Porta-Pencil with MagSafe 4 attachment & charging might be the ticket.

7. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

Those are all reasonable complaints I suppose, but as someone who intends to use the thing for art first I'd rank them so far below input quality that they don't register.

Apple should consider making more than one stylus type in the future. It doesn't sound like I'd want the stylus you want, and you clearly don't care for the one I want. Nothing wrong with that.

8. KPOM macrumors G5

The WSJ reviewer noticed it was louder than the Surface pen, but said that it was better for drawing than even the Wacom pens.

9. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I have a SP3 pen. The tip is very soft and therefore much quieter. But as a result of the softness, the tip is rather grippy to the screen, making writing feels funny. For that reason, I prefer using a HTC Scribe pen. The SP3 pen tip was also wearing out quickly, most noticeable at the demo units at bestbuy.

I have no experience with the SP4 pen, which may be better.

10. David58117 thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm not an artist, but - are the apps on iOS really that much better than full versions on something like the surface? Also with reports of the SP4 having the better, more accurate screen - what makes the iPad more viable than that?

I use it for sheet music, and the bigger size is nice for it..

11. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

I have a feeling we might get different tip styles in the future. They're really easy to replace. There is definitely a bit of a "tap tap tap" factor with the default tip and I can imagine it being irritating in a quiet study area, classroom, meeting, etc.

12. KPOM macrumors G5

The difference in screen quality in the DisplayMate tests are minuscule. The iPad mini 4, Surface Pro 4, iPad Pro and iPad Air 2 all have top notch screens.

13. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

No no no!
    Remember. Apple has "changed the game" with the iPad pro.
    Full amaze-balls, all new, Apple only ideas.

14. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

**EDIT: Oops, I thought you were talking about the digitizer accuracy, not display quality. As the post above me says, the difference in quality between those displays is within the margin of error between samples of the same display. That is to say, the rankings are so close that they could change if you got a second batch of units and ran the tests again. A display-focused site which tests displays with a single sample clearly has no idea how displays are manufactured (or more realistically doesn't have the budget to buy a bunch of SP4s and iPPs).

The SP4 has a slight improvement in linearity, but it's still worse than the Wacom Penabled tech from SP1/2, which itself has slightly worse linearity than the Pencil. People who are writing don't care about this, but artists don't necessarily always draw with fast strokes and will see a ton of wobble.

As for software... to be honest the software options for artists are not that great on ANY platform. You have Photoshop, obviously, which can be critical because of its depth of features, but it actually doesn't have a particularly great brush simulation and you'll often see people going to other places for the actual sketching/inking work.

iOS is even more limited on the software end, but it does have Procreate which is a surprisingly good pencil/ink/paint simulator with a crazy amount of customization. If you want to do pencil work or some painting it seems to be an excellent option, as good as what's available on desktop. It exports to PSD when you want to do final work in Photoshop (at a desktop on a Cintiq if we're talking about professional work).

15. Capt T macrumors 6502a

Press power and home button at the same time. It is a quick press.

16. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Those are reasonable points.

I too find it slippery and was worried at first it would scratch the iPad, expected the tip to be softer .

I'm not a huge user of the pencil as I am creative handicap, though for my purposes it's a fine first gen product.

This is the first generation iPad pro, the surface was kinda crap until surface 3. Though the surface 3 is a good product and matured well. iPad pro 3 will be a much better product.

17. David58117 thread starter macrumors 65816

That's a little different.

But I guess on the Surface, Microsoft was able to implement OneNote more into the OS.

I mean, you hold the button on the pen, it gets ready to take the shot and gives you lines to select what exactly you want. Then it pastes it in OneNote, and you just copy it where you want it.

I guess in effect they're the same, just..different.

18. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

Hey, hey. Hey now. Don't listen to them, Original Surface Pro.
    I really like my Surface Pro 1. From where I'm coming from it's a better device than the SP3 (doesn't thermal throttle nearly as much, better pen tech). Can't really defend that aspect ratio choice though.

Pencil is a bit slippery, depending on the state of your fingers (temperature, etc.). Still uncertain how I feel about that.

19. Farrellcollie macrumors 6502

This is a bit disappointing for me to hear because I plan on using it mostly to take notes and Mark up papers. I'm not an artist at all. But the idea of being able to write with a decent stylus was what I was hoping for

20. the future macrumors 6502a

Pencil feels quite solid and not "fragile" at all. Also "very loud" is so exaggerated; you can barely hear it.

21. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

How's the palm rejection? This is my number one concern since I couldn't disable the touch input on an iPad, like I could in Windows.

22. blackoutz macrumors member

blackoutz

23. blackoutz macrumors member

blackoutz

24. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

The writing experience is excellent, I'd really suggest trying it in person. Apple's Notes app in particular has entered the uncanny valley of pencil simulation (it's good enough that you have to stop and think about the fact that it's fake).

Excellent. Some apps actually allow you to completely disable writing with touch (OneNote), others rely on the OS-level palm rejection. Both versions seem to work really well.