Initiating shutdown prompt from terminal

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Apocrathia, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Apocrathia macrumors 6502

That little prompt you get when you go through the apple menu at the top left and hit shut down. It gives you 60 seconds, etc...
    I want to know how to initiate that from the terminal. I keep apcupsd running on my mac mini server, and if the power goes out, i want it to tell my machines to shut down. I already have a growl message setup letting me know when the power goes out (forwarded to my iphone over prowl, etc etc). I can ssh into the systems via bash scripting and issue the command, that's np. I just have no idea wtf the command is to throw that prompt.
    Anyone have any ideas?

2. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

You can make an Applescript to do that. Just make sure to do a DisplayDialog and shell scripting. In Terminal.app you can type: shutdown -r now (restart), etc.

3. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

In linux I used to use halt but I didn't try it on os x.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

man "shutdown"

You can give a specific time or number of minutes prior to shutdown, or use "now".

5. Apocrathia thread starter macrumors 6502

halt and shutdown always work, but i want to find something that will display a message. The applescript idea seems to be a good route, the question is how do i execute applescript from within a bash script. I still haven't even really touched applescript before. I've heard it's a pretty simple language.