Inquiry about 2TB drives and testing for bad sectors etc

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ThirteenXIII, Oct 24, 2009.

1. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

Im looking at picking up a 2TB westerndigital green drive and wanted to know if there was a utility at testing the drives sectors prior to using it to put alot of my files on.
    I dont have access to Windows currently as i know there are a few apps for that.
    Just curious since i read quite few that had received them with bad sectors or eventually failed rather quickly

any tips or ideas?

thanks

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I've heard that Drive Genius is a handy app for the purpose. I used it to scan my Seagate 1.5 TB drive with no issues reported. I'm not sure if that's the result of a good drive or a bad app, but it does give me some peace of mind anyway.

3. ThirteenXIII thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

If you have AppleCare, you have TechTools, which can do a sector scan. It's available for download or (if I remember correctly) comes on the disc included with the AppleCare box.

(Of course, you can buy the full Pro version separately, too.)

5. ThirteenXIII thread starter macrumors 6502a

the last applecare i got was back in 2007...will that have any difference on version/abilities?

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

You can download the latest (v3.1.3) from Apple.

7. ThirteenXIII thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alright I got the latest Tech Tool Deluxe....but since i only have a MacBookPro to run tests on and i followed the steps outlined by Apple to boot from the DVD.

However it wouldnt read my external drive with the 2TB drive in it either via usb or firewire800.

Maybe I overlooked something and am suppose to run it under the OS and install it there?

thanks!