Insane 320GB laptop hard drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by crazycat, Nov 5, 2007.

1. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I was looking at western digital site last night and saw that they were selling a 320GB 5400 2.5 hard drive. This would be perfect for my 15" MacBook Pro. Has anyone tried this drive yet or has any warning about it since i heard bad things about internal Western Digital hard drives. I would like to add that i am using an external western digital hard drive and its working great so far.

2. reflex macrumors 6502a

I have no idea if the drive is any good or not, but make sure you check the height. Only 9.5mm drives will fit into the MB/MBP. 12mm drives won't.

3. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

This drive and the Toshiba 320GB drive are both 9.5mm tall and should fit.

In regards to quality, don't listen to random people complaining about one manufacturer or another. All these complaints mean is that one person had one drive fail. No manufacturer will be able to have a 0% failure rate. Another source of complaints are the result of highly publicized drive issues. They have all had major issues at one time or another. After each of these issues people like to complain about that manufacturer for awhile. Maxtor, Hitachi (formerly IBM), Western Digital, Seagate, Toshiba, et al. are all about the same quality, have similar fail rates and similar warranties.

4. Mushrooshi macrumors regular

Nooby question, does the MB have space for 2 HDD?

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

No, it's only just got room for one :D

6. orionlogic macrumors newbie

newbie here planing to buy MB...

I want to upgrade 1 month later. So what i understand is any notebook 2.5" HD 9.5mm thick is fine for MB, am i right ?

Also there are 7200 rpm drives, will they work in my MB if i buy one ?

and last are 7200 rpm drives suck more battery than 5400 ? How about heat issue ?
    Thanks alot

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, any SATA, 2.5", 9.5mm drive is fine (but you cannot use a PATA drive).

7200RPM is fine, as is any other RPM.

In general, when people have tried to do systematic testing, I've never seen evidence that the 7200RPM drives use up a lot more or less battery power (both arguments have been made) or generate excessive heat.

8. reflex macrumors 6502a

Any 9.5mm thick 2.5" hd with s-ata connection.

9. orionlogic macrumors newbie

10. georgeoommen macrumors regular

has anyone been able to find this drive available at store? online or other? I'm in the UK and I've searched every store that WD list on their website as being their local distributors, but can't find it anyhwere. None of them have it listed even, let alone give a price.

Has anyone in the US seen this in stores yet? If so, could you please give the price quoted. If its reasonable I think i'll wait a month or two for this to be available in the UK and then get this instead of a 250GB right now.

11. hankolerd macrumors 6502

hankolerd

Toshiba announced a few weeks ago that by next year they would have a 240Gb 1.5"(iPod), and by early 2009 a 1Tb 2.5"(Laptop) as well as a 3Tb 2.5"(Desktop). I am holding off buying a laptop until they have at least 500Gb Hard drive space(plus I am in college and have no money).:apple:

12. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Only if you remove the CD/DVD drive. Only recommended if you are very adventurous. There are companies doing it for you at a price. Obviously you won't have a CD or DVD drive anymore.

13. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I just bought a 250GB internal drive, so the question was: Should I kick myself or not? The answer is no. I paid £88 for 250GB. This one is $199 in the US for 320GB, that is £97 plus 17.5% plus a few percent for getting it to the UK, so you will look at £125 to £130 at least. That's £37 to £42 more for 70GB.