Inside iOS 9: Apple News Delivers the Latest Stories to Your Device

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple News is an all-new app on iOS 9 that aggregates stories from several sources into one mobile-friendly format for reading on iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. The app is very similar to existing news apps such as Flipboard and Zine, displaying a list of news articles and personalized stories based on publications that interest you.

International readers should note that Apple News is currently available in the U.S. only.

Apple allows publishers of all sizes to sign up to be included on Apple News using News Publisher, ranging from traditional publications such as The New York Times, CNN, ESPN, The Atlantic, The Daily Mail and Slate to independent blogs such as MacRumors, TouchArcade and Daring Fireball.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: Inside iOS 9: Apple News Delivers the Latest Stories to Your Device

jmh600cbr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2012
this is the biggest highlight for me, someone that spends hours reading online everyday. i hope it comes to OS X

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
i played with this on the betas and while its not bad one thing stuck out. No categories. There are easily 100 sources that i might be looking at but I might not want them all jumbled up. but I can't separate my tech sources from my movies sources and so on.
real newspapers knew the power of separating front page from entertainment from sports etc

joej2

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2008
Are there any restrictions associated with the News app? Can parents limit this in any way for young readers?

BMacUC

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2009
So I already set up news app on my iPad while running iOS 9 public beta and I just recently updated my iPhone to iOS 9 today at work. Is there a way to transfer or sync my news sources from iPad to iPhone?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Is there a way to transfer or sync my news sources from iPad to iPhone?
I have not found a way to do that either, and this is big downside for me. I don't want to have to keep changing news sources on two devices so they are the same. At this point, I'm not seeing any compelling reason to move away from Flipboard.

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Nothing synced from my iPad, which I had setup earlier this summer. Honestly thought I haven't used it much but plan to now. So I set it up on my iPhone, and the first result it returns is NBA News. I never clicked on anything to do with the NBA. Seriously? Also I never clicked on any politics sections and it's showing me a bunch of political stuff. I actually want to avoid it in this news app as I read enough of it during the day on my computer as it is. I wanted to have a sanctuary during the next year of political hell leading up the presidential election. Guess not. Overall the app is cool but considering how many hundreds of boxes I clicked on it sure isn't giving me relevant results. What's weird is that the boxes were zeroing in on precisely the type of content I want, but the results just seem off?

tallyho

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2004
UK
It supposed to work in the UK, right? But it doesn't...
Um...yes it does. I've been using it for a few days now on the 9.1 public beta. All the British newspapers I'd usually skim through are pushing articles to the News app. I'm finding it pretty good, actually.

xPad

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2013
So basically this is what iGoogle used to be? Or what I use ustart.org for right now?
No.

What's the advantage to this being an app?
What do you mean? It's an app, just like any other. However you'd answer that for any generic app applies here.

It's also a built-in app, which has a very notable advantage over being a web page someone would have to seek out.

Shawn Llewellyn

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2015
Is it just me or does it never show a badge icon for unread stories?? I have been using it from beta till now and it still will not show badge count... o_O