Insomniac Games going multi-platform [RUMOR]

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by MRU, Mar 13, 2010.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Maybe it's a continuing sign of rising costs in production of games, especially considering the 'next' next gen must only be 18-24 months away commercially and hence sooner for devs (who may already be working on next gen projects).

http://ie.ps3.ign.com/articles/107/1077373p1.html

Although this is making front page news all over the internet, until confirmed (prob at E3) it's still rumor.

2. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

I'm sorry, IGN as the source?

What a Joke.

3. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

wouldnt be too suprised, everythings about profit now, so why only develop for 1 platform when you can for all, it's like square enix and FFXIII, the game probably would of been better if they'd only been dev'ing for playstation and not the xbox too

4. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

The 360 version already has noticeable limited graphics capability than the PS3 version.

5. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

we all knew that before the game had come out, the xbox is an inferior platform, how it's still competing with the PS3 as a Hi-Def gaming rig is only because people still aren't ready to shell out for a PS3 but they should, seeing how microsoft nickel and dime you for pretty much everything that comes as standard with a PS3

sorry for getting slightly off topic,

6. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

OK 2 points.

1) guys forgive me if I'm wrong, but clearly from the tone of these posts you are being a tad fanboi-ish here.

360 & PS3 hardware are pretty much the same. To say the 360 is weaker than the PS3 because FFXIII was the poorer port on the 360, is like saying Bayonetta proves the PS3 is weaker than 360 because it was much poorer.

Crap ports happen on either system. Time to get over it and lose the attitude.

Your patronage to BRAND™ doesn't give you access to an exclusive club, it does not win you points in the afterlife and neither does it prove anything about the size of your manhood.

In fact being so 'brand loyal' is bad for the industry as it leads to companies becoming complacent about the consumer (as it assumes that the silly consumer will rush out and buy anything @ any price as longs as BRAND™ stick their logo on the front and exalt the virtues of it over competitors, regardless of whether those exalted virtues are legitimate or not), and what actually happens is that we see the quality and choice suffers overall.

So please less of the FanBoi stuff. It's getting really old right now.

2)

This rumor if true, is simply economics. Ask yourself this question ? Am I willing to pay $100 for an insomniac or any other 'exclusive' game ? Developers & publishers can no longer take major gambles 'exclusively' as games development reached movie like budgets. For every one or two game that are successful for a publisher, there are 10-20 that fail at retail. When were talking $20,000,000 (or $40,000,000 in FFXIII's case) to make a game then it makes perfect business sense to make the game available on as many platforms as possible.

Sony & Microsoft are clearly unwilling to pay the extra $$$ development budgets of studios to off-set the reduced revenue from wider sales for an exclusive title.

It started with 'timed exclusives' disappearing. Now we have exclusive DLC that ends up being 'timed' too. Is it really any surprise in 2010 that a non first party company looks set to announce it is developing for the wider market. Not at all.

7. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

8. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

i'm not saying that as a fan boy, i've had playstations since the first one came out, and i've had xbox's two of the 360 and they both died, i've still got an original playstation ( the boxy one ) and it still works fine,

i realise that being brand loyal dont get me much, let alone anything that you stated ( are you for real? )
    but when i spend my money i want items that are gonna work for more then 5 minutes, my ps3 has, both xbox's failed in less then 6 months with only light usage due to me being aware of the overheating issues, but despite my best attempts they died, the ps3 came down in price, i bought it, it works, and it is better then the 360, hands down ;)

9. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Maybe for new IP I could see this, but Sorny owns the rights/IP to Resistance, R&C, as well as every other game published by Sorny for use on the Sorny Playstation platform. Those games will never go multiplat unless Insomnia decides to buy the IP from Sorny, which I highly doubt either party would agree to.

This is a far fetched rumor, MRU you should have known better ;)

10. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I dunno how far fetched it is for them to make new IP's for tree-sixty or Wii. They opened a second studio in North Carolina that hasn't released what they were working on.

11. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

They are good devs and I would want them to make the highest return on their work in the future. Ratchet/Resistance and that new ip(survival horror) belongs to Sony and I'm sure Sony will either let Insomniac continue the series or pass it on to one of their talented in-house teams.

More power and money to them and I wish them luck.

Bless

12. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I rank this with the Bungie rumors, does that put it in to perspective? Could It happen, sure, and I wouldn't blame them for trying to make more money for it. But I just think its far fetched for now.

13. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

What has sarcasm become a unfathomable concept lately ? ;)

Cheeky beggar :p

Though in all seriousness, I think we genuinely are going to see less and less exclusives even from studio's who we once associated with a particular company.

It maybe a way of Insomniac getting control over some of it's intellectual property instead of Sony rolling in the money from all the periphery merchandise (posters, books, comics, action figures) and realize more capital for itself and it's shareholders.

Were old enough to remember the old 'Sonic' will never be on a Nintendo platform blanket statements back in the day ;)
    Nothing in any industry is set in stone.

14. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

You still owe me a photo of you with your Captain Qwark action figure!

I will agree the days of platform specific titles are numbered, unless its a first party studio. It just costs too much to make a game now.

15. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It's just another sign of the time, Miss Jones,
    It's just another siiign of the tiiimes.

17. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Compare IGN's speculation based on rumors and wild guessing to words right from Ryan Schneider's mouth a mere 9 months ago:
    http://www.vg247.com/2009/07/21/insomniac-intends-to-stay-with-sony-for-the-forseeable-future/

Insomniac has the best of both worlds. They get funding and perks from Sony but they have the freedom to make a game without Kaz telling them what to do. I'd rather take Insomniac's wors for it instead of whatever IGN happens to overhear.

18. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Actually, the FF 13 port is worse because Microsoft chose to stay with DVDs. The Crystal Tools engine isnt exactly power hungry...

I saw a demo of Crystal Tools and they looked identical on both systems, but Square had to skimp on the quality with FF13 because they couldnt fit it. The game is already 3 DVDs with SD cutscenes and lower texture quality. I would say the DVD is a huge limiting factor for the Xbox. Just compare Mass Effect on PC and 360.

I owned 2 Xbox 360s. Both died. One was a Falcon Elite, the other was a launch. I also had a Wii and waited a very long time for Super Smash Brother Brawl - just to be very disappointed. I've also considered buying one of the Jasper Elites but the reliability trend is very repulsing.

---

I cant believe anything from IGN is post worthy. Its like watching fox and taking what they say to heart.

19. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

20. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Have a look at Insomniacs careers page. Nothing to suggest they are going multiplat.

21. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Lens of truth article doesn't mention sub HD res for ffxiii at all? In fact the main difference seems to be the compression in the cut scene cinematics.

Either way it doesn't prove anything regarding power of systems, it merely proves Square Enix love to fill up our games with OTT cinematics (not that that's a bad thing) :)

As for insomniacs website...

You can not expect insomniacs webpage to indicate anything unless or untill they make an official announcement.

The fact that they have not come out and denied the rumor at this point could indicate that there is in fact some varacity to the rumor. Also Sony's PR is also playing the silence game.

22. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

In business it's always about profit. No profit, no company, no games.

Lethal

23. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

http://www.product-reviews.net/2010...sion-is-not-hd-576p-confirmed/comment-page-2/

Insomniac would make an announcement after they start developing.

The 3 DVDs do prove something and its that the DVD is a limiting factor for the 360.

24. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Well, with them being "insomniacs" - they should have enough time to develop for all the platforms... ;)

25. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Not always,

I know a small indie crowd that think games are an Art Form and treat it as such. - And I agree.