Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Not to defend such guff as “we don’t have enough people” but I realised the other day that the resolution of the file that instagram uploads is pretty poor. Releasing an iPad version will only highlight the fact that billions of old posts aren’t high res enough for the screen.

Better to ignore the iPad platform than fix a fundamental flaw of the service.

edjusted

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2010
But c'mon...it's SUCH a complicated program...I mean you have to do ALL the programming to...err...show pictures...and then there's all that really advanced functionality, like...show more pictures...and ads...

Seriously though...I've been wanting to get off Instagram for the past year because Facebook...but there just don't seem to be good alternatives...sigh.
[automerge]1582694287[/automerge]
Not to defend such guff as “we don’t have enough people” but I realised the other day that the resolution of the file that instagram uploads is pretty poor. Releasing an iPad version will only highlight the fact that billions of old posts aren’t high res enough for the screen.

Better to ignore the iPad platform than fix a fundamental flaw of the service.

I actually think this is right on the nose.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I actually think this is right on the nose.

I'm looking at the web version of Instagram on a 27" iMac right now and the photos in my stream look fine. If they were worried about the resolution of old pictures it seems odd they would have developed a web version.

verysimple

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2017
New York
what's really bullsh*t about this excuse is that a few years ago, there were a variety of third-party apps that allowed you to at least browse instagram on your ipad in a more...native/intuitive way, and then instagram restricted their API specifically to kill access by all of these apps. So not only do they not want to take the time to develop an app, they don't want to let anyone else do it either.

kerr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
I've been thinking about getting my first iPad and only just found out that Instagram does not have an iPad app. Facebook really is a pathetic company. So no Instagram on a tablet, and the Instagram website in a browser is rather hopeless. The sooner Facebook dies the better. We need new and better social media apps, ideally ones based in Europe.

• Love
Reactions: CarlJ and jonnyb098
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.