Instagram Could Hide the Like Count on Photos

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 18, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Instagram has considered hiding the like count on images uploaded to the social network, which would prevent people from seeing how many people have tapped the "heart" icon on each photo.

The feature was found by Jane Manchun Wong, who often hunts down features in testing in Instagram and Twitter. As depicted in an image shown by Wong, the like count on a photo is hidden by default and visible only by the person who posted the photo.

[​IMG]

"We want your followers to focus on what you share, not how many likes your posts get. During this test, only the person who shared a post will see the total number of likes it gets," reads the description of the feature.

In a statement to The Verge, however, Instagram says that the feature is not being tested at the current time: "We're not testing this at the moment, but exploring ways to reduce pressure on Instagram is something we're always thinking about.

Hiding likes would fundamentally change the way Instagram works, as liking photos and garnering likes is one of the platform's main features.

Article Link: Instagram Could Hide the Like Count on Photos

2. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

Seems so pointless to change, but what do I know.

3. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

Facebook is killing Instagram more and more everyday :( this is ridiculous
    Instagram used to be amazing back in 2012-2016 but ever since 2017 it has gone to crap.

4. scrapesleon macrumors 6502a

scrapesleon

5. Intellectua1 Suspended

Intellectua1

There goes a lot of Instagram models careers, they should hide the followers count too, that'd be hilarious!

6. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Does something like this "kill" Instagram?

7. newyorksole macrumors 68040

I think this will be optional, so it won’t kill IG. If it was a permanent feature for everyone it would definitely hurt “influencers” and other people.

A lot of people thrive off of how many followers and likes they have. Take that away and they’ll feel terrible.

8. Saipher macrumors demi-god

Saipher

This would be great! I believe a lot of teens, and some adults too, feel pressured to receive likes as a measure of their social acceptance or status. This would alleviate the problem.

9. iBreatheApple macrumors 68030

iBreatheApple

I’m for it but people who use this as a monetary/business platform are gonna be piiiised. Likes and metrics are what get people (models, DJs, whoever) bookings.

10. JoEw macrumors 68000

JoEw

Strangely I think this would be good for the platform long term, the like thing is quickly becoming a poison on people’s minds. Instagram doesn’t want to be the next Facebook. They should double down on photos.

11. nfl46 macrumors 604

I like this idea! I know some people who lose their minds if their post doesn’t get x amount of likes. Yeah, I know, it’s beyond ridiculous!

Poor IG models, though. Lol.

12. viachicago22 macrumors 6502

viachicago22

Great call and exactly why it will never happen

13. dampfnudel, Apr 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019

dampfnudel macrumors 68040

I think that’s one of the main reasons they would consider doing this. It would also be a good step in the right direction to deal effectively with the glut of influencers and wannabe influencers who have made the service a bloated, meaningless shell of what it once was. They could create a separate app for influencers called Instafluencers (which they would charge a fee for) and keep the commercialization/influencer bloat out of Instagram. When you have too many influencers peeing in the same pool, people will begin to reconsider their decision to get into the pool.

14. squizzler macrumors member

squizzler

This will be so good for mental health of users. Way to go!

15. roblognick macrumors member

This is just going to lead to “influencers” posting screenshots of their like count. Absolutely pointless.

16. Zxxv macrumors 68040

In other news - macrumors to remove like button from posts following Instagram removal of feature

17. MichaelBarry macrumors member

It’s not like they’re removing likes, it might hurt influencers etc initially but fundamentally, the impressions and reach metrics are still there.

It’s smart on instagrams part because it funnels influencers and businesses into paying for influence

18. JayJohnPaul macrumors regular

JayJohnPaul

Excellent news for those peeps who get about 10 likes or less per post.

19. HacKage macrumors 6502

This is a good thing. Teens are having ever increasing levels of mental health issues, bullying and even suicide over what happens on social media. People who have their accounts disabled have breakdowns, or bullied over the amount of likes a post gets.

The sooner we get away from "influencers" and their ilk, the better for society as a whole. What started off as a nice way to share photos with some dated filters in hindsight has become poison for so many affected people.

20. JetTester macrumors 6502

If you like my post, I'll like yours. No, wait, who will know?

21. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

Holy moly! Imagine the uproar from all the selfie/butt thots if they take away the likes feature.

22. shadowbird423 macrumors 6502

shadowbird423

"'During this test, only the person who shared a post will see the total number of likes it gets,' reads the description of the feature."

This won't solve the problem unfortunately. The opposite of the way they're implementing this would be great.

23. Saipher macrumors demi-god

Saipher

I completely agree. The whole Instagram influencer thing is completely out of hand. There are a couple of hashtags I follow on Instagram and they get completely spammed with things that have nothing to do with what the actual hashtag is about, and they are mostly from “influencers” trying to reach new followers. It’s super annoying! My feed gets inundated with all these things that I have no interest because of that, so what’s the point of following a hashtag? When that happens, I usually just flag the post as spam and move on.

24. RevTEG macrumors 6502a

RevTEG

What shall I do? Seeing the amount of likes I get is how I rate my self-esteem for the day... ;)

25. modul8tr macrumors regular

This is how it always should have been.

If your mind has been warped to the point that little hearts sent to you by strangers determine your sense of self/happiness...well, that’s on you and seek therapy. It’s INSANE, and I can’t believe we are living in a culture where we as a society accept it as normal.

There was never a reason to display likes to followers other than “look at me” narcissism.

26. michelb76 macrumors member

If they had a product vision they would just do this, instead of 'leaking' this through blogs to gauge impact and outcry.