Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Instagram still doesn't offer an app for the iPad, but the social networking company has expanded how users can upload content to the site, allowing for pictures to be posted from the desktop.

instagram-desktop.jpg

According to TechCrunch, Instagram is rolling out desktop posting support this week after testing the feature with a limited number of users over the summer.

Sharing a photo or a video under one minute on Instagram from the desktop can be done by navigating to the Instagram website and signing into an account. From there, click on the "+" button in the top right corner of the webpage and select photos from your computer. Filters, captions, and location tags can be added.

The desktop posting feature is still rolling out, so not all users will see it right away.

Article Link: Instagram Now Allows Users to Post From Desktop

iPads have been out for over a decade now; the fact that IG can't be bothered to make an iPad tailored app is unreal. Like, wtf?

What, you aren't ok with a scaled up app? Sheesh, people are picky! I mean it totally stands to reason that one of the largest social media platforms in the world isn't optimized for something as silly as a tablet. c'mon, let's not get crazy with expectations here. simmer down!

contacos

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Me too. It's such a simple and obvious thing that every other platform has.

because it pretty much makes the App redundant and actually allows you to block ads on the mobile view as well. I am actually surprised they made that change, even the chat feature works. In the past they would force the app on you to access the chat

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
I've been using Later to schedule posts to Instagram for a while. This would save me some money but it's nice to schedule a month of posts then not think about it for 4 weeks.

Sullivan0930

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2021
IG is nothing but ads at this point. I’m ready for the next social media application built off blockchain.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Didn’t Instagram start off as an iPhone-only app? It is surprising that they didn’t release an iPad app earlier, but even more surprising that they are investing more in the desktop experience.

Maybe with App Tranparency on iOS they think pushing the web version will bring them back the revenue they are losing?

What is usage for Instagram in mobile vs desktop? And is one increasing over the other?

jacobh101

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2014
Boston, MA
Why hasn't Instagram started incorporating PiP support on iOS? Infuriating that you can't keep videos going while sending messages and emails and other Muti-task features. TikTok offers it and it works great.

Reactions: DanteHicks79
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.