Install intel ssd 120gb and osx wont install!!!!help please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by travis64, Dec 2, 2010.

1. travis64 macrumors 6502a

travis64

Im not doing a back up hd i want a new install
    I install the drive without the screws in the hd,does that matter?

I start hold option and only the cd comes up,i click it wait 2 mins then says you have to restart
    Did this about 10 times,please help before i take this hd out and smash it

Thanks

2. travis64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

travis64

3. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

First put the screws from your old HDD onto your new one using a T6. Then when you boot your computer hold C. Select Disk Utility. You should see new SSD. Make sure its selected and find the option to erase. This formats(?) the new HD.After its finished make sure it says HFS + Journal or something like that. Should be smooth sailing from there.

4. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

I thought you had to hold the "C" key while booting up to boot to the install disk.

5. travis64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

travis64

I dont have a t6 or i would

I hold c after i hit power and noth happebs for 30-40secs i hold it

6. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

IDK. I thought you had to boot into the install disk to access disk utility. Installed my SSD yesterday and this what I was told to do. It worked. I was in a similar if the not the same situation as the OP.

7. joecool99 Suspended

joecool99

then go get one!

put in latest SL install disc, hold ALT/OPTION key - boot from the DVD.
    on the first screen - disk utility - partition, select 1 partition, check options make sure top option for apple INTEL is checked.

8. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

You said in earlier post that the CD comes up. I'm assuming that's the installer screen. If it is, go back there, and at the top select tab to open disk utility and proceed as I stated earlier. If this isn't what your issue is I'm sorry I don't know enough to be of any further help. Trying contacting Intel directly. They have support for these issues. I was on their site earlier today.

9. travis64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

travis64

I boot from the disc by holding option then the apple comes up and 30secs later it says u have to restart computer

Install dvd is 10.5.7

10. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

^^ I think he's referring to the optional boot up screen at the beginning when you have multiple bootable partitions (such as boot camp or with the cd drive). Have you thoroughly checked all the connections and made sure none of them are loose?

I'm not sure if intel drives come formatted NTFS but you could also try formatting it with HFS+ in an external enclosure. Also, do you have the original drive? Swap that in and see if you get two icons when holding down the option (one for hdd, one for cd) - that way you can make sure it's isolated down to the hard drive.

11. travis64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

travis64

Yea i see the cd when i hold option while starting it

How can i format it if it shows nothing there

12. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

perhaps another computer? have you tested with the old drive? does it see it if you plug in the older drive?

13. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

Just out of curiosity. I know the SSD has no moving parts so it shouldn't need much protection but the SATA cable thingamajig could snap/tear/damage if its allowed to wobble around under the weight of the SSD? Possible?

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Of course it does. While it may not be mechanical, you still could damage the drive by not securing the drive. T6 does not cost that much, just pick one up at your local lowes/home depot/ace hardware and secure that drive.

Why spend several hundred dollars on a drive that willing to risk damaging by not spending a couple of bucks for the proper tools

15. travis64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

travis64

Drive did not move at all

I took it out and my old hd works fine

Im sending it back to new egg unless som1 wants to buy it

16. TheBaconKing macrumors regular

TheBaconKing

If you have an external enclosure you could format it using Disk Utility then put it in, or you should be able to boot from CD and install OSX on the SSD via USB.

I know I can boot into OSX from my 160 GB HDD that came with my MBP. I accidentally messed up my system while attempting to do stuff in terminal. I just booted from USB and used carbon copy cloner to restore my SSD back to the pre-messing up state.

17. TexasAggie macrumors newbie

There is some glitch in either the Mac software or the SSD hardware, but I know what you're talking about. You cannot install OS X on an SSD drive if the SSD drive has been inserted into the mac computer's internal hard drive slot. But, you can install OS X on an SSD drive if the SSD drive is in an external enclosure connected to a USB port of the mac computer, and you can then insert the SSD drive into the mac computer's internal hard drive slot. At that point, it works fine.

18. travis64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

travis64

Ok thanks i will try the external 2mor this got me so stress right now
    Noth ever works for me computer wise

19. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

Go to the disk utility and format it from there.

20. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

my head spins reading this thread:

travis:

-what happens when you have power off,then power up and hold c down before grey screen (holding until you see spinning sun looking thing)??? does it boot dvd and ask you to start install? ....if it does

1. Select your preferred language. You will then see the Welcome to the Mac OS X Installer window.
    2. From the Installer Menu Bar, click Open Disk Utility. You will then see the Disk Utility window.
    3. In the left pane of the Disk Utility window, click the drive you want to erase.
    4. In the right pane of the Disk Utility window, click the Erase tab.
    5. From the Volume Format drop-down menu, select Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

apply and let it erase and partition drive...close down disk utility and proceed with install

21. TexasAggie, Dec 3, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2010

TexasAggie macrumors newbie

The problem is that Disk Utility likely isn't seeing the SSD drive at all. I had the same problem on both an iMac and a Macbook Pro. With the SSD drive inserted into the computer's internal slot, it couldn't be seen by either Disk Utility or the OS X installation software. When the SSD drive was in an external USB enclosure, both Disk Utility and the OS X installation software could see it. Once OS X was installed, I could place the SSD drive into the computer's internal hard drive slot, and it booted fine.

It may be that the SSD drive needs to be formatted a certain way before being inserted into the internal hard drive slot. Once formatted, it can then be seen by Disk Utility or the OS X installation software. But, I never took the time to try and figure it out.

22. travis64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

travis64

Well my friend could not find his external,hkw much do they cost?

Now when i turn on my laptop with old hd it shows a white screen for 20secs then the apple appers
    =[ any fixes for that?

23. nonlocal macrumors newbie

Are you stating the OP's case, or claiming that's the case in general? If it's the latter, I've never heard that before.
    If anyone has successfully installed the 120gb x25-m directly from the internal slot, please tell us about it.

24. TexasAggie, Dec 3, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2010

TexasAggie macrumors newbie

Just my own experience with two different SSD drives and two different computers, plus repeated posts here about people not being able to install OS X on an SSD drive.

25. Voondebah macrumors member

Not sure how relevant it is, but I just installed the same 120GB Intel SSD in my mac mini's (mid 2009) internal slot earlier this week without any issue.