Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Posting a link is not allowed under the forum rules (and the mods will remove it), so don't hold your breath.

i assume you mean posting torrent links - which makes sense and not something like cnn.com (which won't make sense).

pound4pound30

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2009
I am currently running 4.2 on the iPad as of 5 minutes ago without a dev account. Works perfect so far.

SteveKnobs

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
CMU
Finally got the beta working thanks to a nameless devel adding me to their account. So far so good. Multitasking is awesome and works great. Its an understatement to say this feature was looong overdue, but I'm glad it's finally here.

pjcforpres2020

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Doing a full restore (but you need your udid registered) minimizes most all problems... I have only had the WiFi issue one time in 4 days, and had one other freeze when I had multiple tabs open in Atomic browser and even more in Safari, plus had Docs2Go running as well.

I have theory that sticking to apps made both for the iPad and iPhone (which means 4.0 compatible) reduces tons of issues. Then again, I am not an app whore (yet) on my iPad.

BriZNiZ

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2010
Thanks!

Took me a few tries to get it figured out right but am now on 4.2 / worked like a charm thanks again!

ecko888

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2010
only drawbacks ive found are 'some' apps tend to be abit slower/glitchy, and wifi goes off now n then but i just go to settings and click connect n it usually works again, without having to restart the iPad etc,

can someone point out to me whats so good about the multitasking (may be a stupid question) i know bout the pressing home button twice brings it up but whats so good about that? you could just press home and then click whatever app u needed on 3.2... not really a big improvement to be unless im doing something wrong / missing something, please point it out if i am !

SteveKnobs

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
CMU
only drawbacks ive found are 'some' apps tend to be abit slower/glitchy, and wifi goes off now n then but i just go to settings and click connect n it usually works again, without having to restart the iPad etc,

can someone point out to me whats so good about the multitasking (may be a stupid question) i know bout the pressing home button twice brings it up but whats so good about that? you could just press home and then click whatever app u needed on 3.2... not really a big improvement to be unless im doing something wrong / missing something, please point it out if i am !

What's so good about it is that we can now switch between open apps almost immediately. Say for instance if I am reading an etextbook and typing notes at the same time- I don't have to reopen the textbook app and wait for it to load if I switch to the note taking app. I can just seamlessly switch between the two apps. It's very handy.

ecko888

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2010
What's so good about it is that we can now switch between open apps almost immediately. Say for instance if I am reading an etextbook and typing notes at the same time- I don't have to reopen the textbook app and wait for it to load if I switch to the note taking app. I can just seamlessly switch between the two apps. It's very handy.

Ahh i see now, ive just attempted this and yeah you're right, its very useful, thanks for the input.

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
Definitely DO NOT need a developer account.

Just do an upgrade, not a restore. Works perfectly.

I went back to 3.2.1 though. Theres a bug in the iPod app. If you're listening to music using the EQ and you skip a song, it makes all sorts of screwed up sounds before skipping.

Edit: It's really freakin stupid that "Retina" apps don't run at native resolution on the iPad and are upscaled from 480x320. I would imagine its because Apple wants to keep on the good side of developers that love to rip us off with "HD" versions of the same app, and rake in more profits themselves.

pruppert

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
Now that it is Saturday and I have some free time, I think I'm gonna go ahead and try the beta. Before I do, has anyone noticed any major problems running any of the following 3rd party apps?

Reeder for iPad
Atomic browser
Netflix
AirVideo
Pandora

Thanks for feedback.

ecks618

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2006
NYC
A quick note to installing a Beta without a developer's account.

I had a dev account and it expired just after os 4 becoming available for the iPhone. I was able to do upgrade and decided to let my account expire. About 2 weeks after it expired I plugged the phone into the computer and iTunes bricked the phone.

My guess is that as long as you do not plug the iPad into a computer or make sure the wifi/lan is off when you do then it shouldn't be a problem. Don't assume that if it works now Apple won't find a way to disable it later.

pruppert

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
I just updated with no difficulty using the option click on check for updates method on a Mac without a developer id.

In response to my just previous post:

Reeder for iPad - works
Atomic browser - works
Netflix - works
AirVideo - app opens but does not stream video
Pandora - works and supports background audio

Another of my most frequently used apps, iTeleport (universal version), crashes every time upon opening the app.

Other small bugs already noticed, but no deal breakers as of yet.

Interestingly, airplay streams to airport express but will not even stream audio to current (old) Apple TV. USB printer is set up to share from Mac on the network but iPad cannot find it.

putterboy101

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2010
Tried this and it bricked my ipad anyone want to add me to their dev account or get me back to a working 3.2.2 ipad??

thanks

bafrad

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2010
I had been looking around for information on whether or not it was possible to update my iPad to iOS 4.2 without having to register my device with Apple (as I do not have a developer account).

I found a lot of discussions all saying that it is necessary to register your device's UDID with Apple and without it you would have to revert back to 3.1.3. There were also a few people who had claimed to have installed it without this requirement and given the benefits of multitasking etc I decided to take the plunge and go for it.

I'm happy to report that if you get hold of the iOS4.2 ipsw file you can update your iPad (using option-click on update in iTunes) and the OS installs with no problems and doesn't require registration. I just wanted to make this clear for all those who weren't sure and were looking for a definitive answer.

[I was running iTunes 9.2 on Mac OS (SL) and an iPad on 3.1.3 that had never been jail broken]

^ This is what worked for me.

MacRumoren

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
Tried this and it bricked my ipad anyone want to add me to their dev account or get me back to a working 3.2.2 ipad??
thanks

yup, same here. made the mistake of using "restore" instead of "update".

Now even though it's in DFU mode, itunes keeps saying "We're unable to complete your activation."

Can't downgrade, can't restore, can't change anything.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
yup, same here. made the mistake of using "restore" instead of "update".

Now even though it's in DFU mode, itunes keeps saying "We're unable to complete your activation."

Can't downgrade, can't restore, can't change anything.

Are you sure you have it in DFU? With Windows, when a connected device gets into DFU, Windows will pop a message saying it is updating the device driver. If you don't see the updating drivers message, you aren't in DFU. Not sure if there's any similar indicator on the Mac.

icemanzzz

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2010
I've read somewhere that after you have successfully installed iOS 4.2 it is not recommended that you restore from back-up. Instead set it up as a new iPad?

Has anyone encountered any problem after installing from back-up? I don't want to set it up as a new iPad since I don't wanna lose my settings/saved data on my apps..

SVT Amateur

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2006
Tyler, Texas
I've read somewhere that after you have successfully installed iOS 4.2 it is not recommended that you restore from back-up. Instead set it up as a new iPad?

Has anyone encountered any problem after installing from back-up? I don't want to set it up as a new iPad since I don't wanna lose my settings/saved data on my apps..

Apple says that because these betas are supposed to be on test machines. I installed and restored from my previous backup and have had no issues except for the occasional bug with a program unexpectedly closing - but this might also be because the program hasn't been updated to work with 4.2.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca

Are you on a Mac or PC?
Have you already installed 4.2?

their is a method to restore from a back-up, I've done it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.