Install iWorks on MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by techiegirl, Oct 26, 2010.

1. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

We purchased a 13" MBA last night and want to install my iWorks family pack on the computer. I put the iWorks CD on a MBP and connected the MBA and MBP wirelessly. iWorks would not install because it said it could not be installed from the network.

We didn't buy a super drive and would rather not spend the extra money. Is it possible to install iWorks on the MBA without the super drive?

2. inf macrumors 6502

inf

I think you have to use the CD sharing feature found on the macs system preferences

3. techiegirl thread starter macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

Thanks. I'll give it a try tonight. I wonder if I used the wrong sharing. I went into sharing preferences and checked "file sharing".

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yep, file sharing shares files, CD/DVD sharing shares complete CD/DVDs and uses them as CD/DVDs, as file sharing doesn't recognise the CD/DVD as CD/DVD and will not allow any CD/DVD behaviour, thus the two links I provided.

[​IMG]

5. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I did this last night. Turn on CD/DVD sharing on the one with the drive, then on the MBA you should see a Remote Disc icon in a Finder window. Click on that and request the drive and install. Worked perfectly.

6. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

You can always image the DVD on another machine with a SuperDrive (Using Disk Utility) and copy that image file over to your Air to install iWork. This will not be as slow as installing the software through the network (slower than your hard drive).

7. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Just download the free trial from Apple and then register it with your serial number. That will work fine.

http://www.apple.com/iwork/

8. IscariotJ macrumors 6502a

I thought the CD version of iWork '09 didn't require a serial?

9. techiegirl thread starter macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

10. falconeight Guest

falconeight

That will not work and the CD version doesn't have a serial number. If you instal the trail then try to use the cd you will have trouble. You have to delete the trial and a bunch of hidden files.

11. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Just use your MBP and Disk Utility to put iWork on a USB flash drive, then install it on your MBAir from that.

-howard

12. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

I have a 2009 Mini assuming this will work on that. Might just buy a superdrive thou

13. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

Do yourself a favor and make DMg files out of your discs, then you have digital copies of them all!

14. MAcNIAC macrumors regular

oops - this is what i did ... i couldnt find my cd at first so thought i'd go with the trial and find my serial ... then i realised i dont have a serial ... so i foind the cd ... dragged the trial apps to the trash and emptied ... but now i cant use remote disc to install iWork ...

what are these hidden files i need to find and delete ???
    thanks in advance!

15. MAcNIAC macrumors regular

never mind incase anyone else needs it ... from apple support forum

Should the above not work...

First, the applications - Hard Drive > Applications - Delete the entire iWork folder (containing the Keynote & Pages applications).

Second, the preferences - Hard Drive > Users > your account > Library > Preferences - Delete com.apple.iWork.Keynote.plist, com.apple.iWork.Pages.plist & com.apple.iWork.Installer.plist. Then do a search for iWork in Spotlight & trash any files or folders.

Third, receipts - Hard Drive > Library > Receipts - Delete Pages.pkg & Keynote 2.pkg. If there are any other packages with Pages, Keynote or iWork in their names, delete these as well.

If you have created any templates, you may not want to delete them. They are located in Hard Drive > Users > your account > Library > Application Support > iWork > Pages/Keynote > Templates > My Templates. Just move that iWork folder to the Desktop & you can move it back later. It would be worthwhile to repair permissions before installing your purchased iWork. Don't forget to repair permissions after installing, too.

oh and i also opened installHistory.plist and removed the references to iwork