Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chris1111

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
Montréal Canada
Esay update again :)
Screen Shot 2022-02-16 at 9.46.46 AM.png

smirk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Orange County, CA
Hi, just found this thread and it looks super interesting!

I have a "15-inch, Late 2013" MacBookPro11,2 (2 GHz Core i7, 8 GB RAM, Intel Iris Pro) that I'm now thinking about moving from Big Sur to Monterey.

I'm curious, how is the performance of Monterey on this or similar computers compared to Big Sur?

And, are there any odd issues to worry about? Xcode still runs and installs apps onto iOS devices, FaceTime/Zoom still work, etc?

Thank you!

macpro_mid2014

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2019
Toronto, Canada

I have a "15-inch, Late 2013" MacBookPro11,2 (2 GHz Core i7, 8 GB RAM, Intel Iris Pro) that I'm now thinking about moving from Big Sur to Monterey.

I'm curious, how is the performance of Monterey on this or similar computers compared to Big Sur?

And, are there any odd issues to worry about? Xcode still runs and installs apps onto iOS devices, FaceTime/Zoom still work, etc?

Thank you!
I don't regret updating. For me, Monterey is working at least the same as Big Sur if not better.

I have the internal SSD running Monterey and an external Thunderbolt SSD running Big Sur. I use the latter only for BootRom updates, but my main system is Monterey.

Because I use my MBP for work, I only install the release, not the beta versions.

I have an actual EFI partition zipped in post #175. It should work as-is for your case. If you have a spare SSD sitting around, you can clone your internal SSD, copy the EFI to the external SSD, boot Big Sur through OC, install the latest release of Monterey and give it a try ;)

Reactions: smirk

chris1111

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
Montréal Canada

Thank you!
@smirk Follow the guide Post N0 1 It will work for you
The EFI Folder and the config.plist inside EFI is made by me from OpenCore Repos, not from OCLP
This topic is completetly diferant of OCLP

My Opinion is The performace is exactly and maybe beter, Xcode Works, everethings work

Last edited:

myusernameissick

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2022
Hi, gotta say this worked perfectly and thanks to everyone! I can use it great and it works on my Late 2013 MacBook Pro Retina (MacBookPro 11,1) with the Intel Iris 1536 MB Graphics, but the only issue I'm having is the post install section from the first post:

Post Install ⬇︎
Mount the EFI Partition of the SSD then put the EFI Folder then unplug USB Install media

Done! Enjoy.
After everything is finished, you can remove the -v in the config.plist to have the apple at boot.

I mounted the Internal SSD EFI Partition and then I'm not 100% sure what I'm supposed to be doing with the EFI folders from either the USB Install Media or the Internal SSD EFI Partition. I tried the above, moving the entire contents of the EFI partition from USB to SSD and upon reboot without the USB, it would give me a blinking folder icon with a question mark.
I was able to boot into the Internal SSD "Macintosh SSD" where Monterey is installed doing OPT boot with the EFI on the USB, but I don't know how to boot without the USB, which is what I assume is the purpose of the first post install step
But I did a workaround by using the OpenCore Legacy Patcher ( which was linked in post #128 here by @macpro_mid2014 , thank you!) and just did Build and Install OpenCore, built it and then installed it to the Internal SSD EFI Partition. I was able to boot into Monterey without the USB drive! Not sure if that will affect anything or change any performance on my MacBook, thoughts?

Second, I couldn't find the -v in the config.plist, I must be too noob for this 😅 Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Again, thanks to all who provided input and tips on this thread, it's given some more life to my MacBook!! 😄

@chris1111 any input would really help this noob, lol

Reactions: macpro_mid2014

macpro_mid2014

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2019
Toronto, Canada
Hi, gotta say this worked perfectly and thanks to everyone! I can use it great and it works on my Late 2013 MacBook Pro Retina (MacBookPro 11,1) with the Intel Iris 1536 MB Graphics, but the only issue I'm having is the post install section from the first post:

I mounted the Internal SSD EFI Partition and then I'm not 100% sure what I'm supposed to be doing with the EFI folders from either the USB Install Media or the Internal SSD EFI Partition. I tried the above, moving the entire contents of the EFI partition from USB to SSD and upon reboot without the USB, it would give me a blinking folder icon with a question mark.
I was able to boot into the Internal SSD "Macintosh SSD" where Monterey is installed doing OPT boot with the EFI on the USB, but I don't know how to boot without the USB, which is what I assume is the purpose of the first post install step
But I did a workaround by using the OpenCore Legacy Patcher ( which was linked in post #128 here by @macpro_mid2014 , thank you!) and just did Build and Install OpenCore, built it and then installed it to the Internal SSD EFI Partition. I was able to boot into Monterey without the USB drive! Not sure if that will affect anything or change any performance on my MacBook, thoughts?

Second, I couldn't find the -v in the config.plist, I must be too noob for this 😅 Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Again, thanks to all who provided input and tips on this thread, it's given some more life to my MacBook!! 😄

@chris1111 any input would really help this noob, lol

To use @chris1111 solution:

~ % diskutil list

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *2.0 TB disk0
1: EFI ⁨EFI⁩ 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_APFS ⁨Container disk1⁩ 2.0 TB disk0s2

~ % sudo diskutil mount disk0s1

~ % ls -al /Volumes/EFI should show something like this:
drwxrwxrwx@ 1 marcos staff 1024 23 Feb 18:00 .
drwxr-xr-x 26 root wheel 832 28 Feb 07:31 ..
drwxrwxrwx 1 marcos staff 512 19 Aug 2021 .Spotlight-V100
drwxrwxrwx 1 marcos staff 512 28 Feb 07:31 .fseventsd

Download @chris1111 EFI https://github.com/chris1111/MacBookPro-retina-late-2013/blob/main/EFI\ Monterey\ 12.zip

Unzip EFI Monterey 12.zip

Inside the ZIP file, there is a folder named EFI. Copy this EFI folder (NOT ONLY THE CONTENT OF IT) to /Volumes/EFI.

~ % ls -al /Volumes/EFI should show something like this:
drwxrwxrwx@ 1 marcos staff 1024 23 Feb 18:00 .
drwxr-xr-x 26 root wheel 832 28 Feb 07:31 ..
drwxrwxrwx 1 marcos staff 512 19 Aug 2021 .Spotlight-V100
drwxrwxrwx 1 marcos staff 512 28 Feb 07:31 .fseventsd
drwxrwxrwx@ 1 marcos staff 512 7 Feb 16:57 EFI

Reboot with OPT key pressed, choose EFI option and then the disk where you have Monterey.

myusernameissick

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2022
Oh okay, cool! Followed all of that and now it boots fine without the USB drive plugged in. Thanks! I really appreciate it. 😁

But now it boots with a bunch of lines of code executing. And it also runs all the code and stuff when I log in. Is that okay?

Edit: Oh okay I see what I missed, I didn’t remove the -v in the config.plist that’s why all that code and stuff was running. Never mind 😅

And also, do I need to select the Macintosh HD every time I boot?

Last edited:

macpro_mid2014

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2019
Toronto, Canada
And also, do I need to select the Macintosh HD every time I boot?

No! While selecting EFI on the first boot screen, press the Control key. The arrow indicating the selection turns to a round arrow. Press Enter or click on the selection. Now EFI is the default boot option. If you have more than one bootable disk plugged in, do the same process on the second boot screen to select the disk you want to boot by default.

Reactions: myusernameissick

myusernameissick

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2022
No! While selecting EFI on the first boot screen, press the Control key. The arrow indicating the selection turns to a round arrow. Press Enter or click on the selection. Now EFI is the default boot option. If you have more than one bootable disk plugged in, do the same process on the second boot screen to select the disk you want to boot by default.
Oh awesome! Alright did that, and now can fully say it works as I want it to, thanks so much!!!

One last question is hibernation/sleep mode working properly? My MacBook seems to be still running with the lid closed.

macpro_mid2014

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2019
Toronto, Canada
One last question is hibernation/sleep mode working properly? My MacBook seems to be still running with the lid closed.

For me, yes!

Once in a while, I notice that the MBP is a little bit warmer in the morning meaning that it probably woke up to perform stuff such as Find My Mac communication, etc. Because I keep it plugged in 99.9% of the time, it never bothered me.

Reactions: myusernameissick

myusernameissick

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2022
Okay! After a few days of using it after installing using instructions from both @chris1111 and @macpro_mid2014 , it's working flawlessly and most things are working well! For the sleep mode/hibernation issue I found this post on reddit and one of the comments recommended checking the sleep setting and modifying it. And so far no issues, loss of battery time, or draining with the sleep or battery! Thanks again you guys!

Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 22.50.03.png

The only weird thing is that I can't fully zoom out to view all my photos, see attached, below. At that zoom level, my pictures don't appear at all, my screen just looks greyed out, any ideas?

Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 22.51.11.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 22.51.11.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 22.51.11.png
    90.7 KB · Views: 76

macpro_mid2014

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2019
Toronto, Canada
Okay! After a few days of using it after installing using instructions from both @chris1111 and @macpro_mid2014 , it's working flawlessly and most things are working well! For the sleep mode/hibernation issue I found this post on reddit and one of the comments recommended checking the sleep setting and modifying it. And so far no issues, loss of battery time, or draining with the sleep or battery! Thanks again you guys!

View attachment 1967694

The only weird thing is that I can't fully zoom out to view all my photos, see attached, below. At that zoom level, my pictures don't appear at all, my screen just looks greyed out, any ideas?

View attachment 1967696

Mine works well! Zoom In/Out without any issue.

smirk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Orange County, CA
@smirk Follow the guide Post N0 1 It will work for you
The EFI Folder and the config.plist inside EFI is made by me from OpenCore Repos, not from OCLP
This topic is completetly diferant of OCLP

Will your EFI folder and config.plist work with any Late-2013 MacBook Pro? I am still learning about OpenCore and still have a lot to understand. I'm not clear yet if I need to customize the contents of that EFI folder to my particular 15" Core i7 model or not.

Thanks!

chris1111

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
Montréal Canada
Will your EFI folder and config.plist work with any Late-2013 MacBook Pro? I am still learning about OpenCore and still have a lot to understand. I'm not clear yet if I need to customize the contents of that EFI folder to my particular 15" Core i7 model or not.

Thanks!
Its work without issue if you have only the Intel iris Graphics

Mostafa The Developer

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2022
I just want to say Thanks that this forum did the job done on mine's macbook pro late 2013 too.
i read all 8 pages til now the entire posts on this thread to find out what is going on.
because at fist i cant get it done of course by my miss understood.
i mistakenly copy the contents of EFI folder to EFI partition.
after 6 hours of trying with no success i so close to give it up.
but suddenly i understand i must copy the entire EFI folder into EFI partition.
so at last the the EFI partition also must have EFI folder on it to get it worked.
sorry its my bad maybe because when I'm doing this, i was too tired or in sleepy mood.
its around 3 to 9 am midnight to early morning without night sleep when I'm doing this. 😵‍💫
i created screenshot of files Tree that must in EFI Partition for those wacky nerds such me.
because it has the same folder name with the partition label i had confused with that.
when the software update detects 12.3.1 it has applies it without any problems too.
again want to thanks you all, @chris1111 @macpro_mid2014 and the OC community for this make it happened to us.
hope we also see it for after on and so next after next macOS releases too.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 4.59.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 4.59.09 AM.png
    328.1 KB · Views: 102
  • 2022-04-08 04.59.49.jpg
    2022-04-08 04.59.49.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 107
  • 2022-04-08 05.00.34.jpg
    2022-04-08 05.00.34.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 118
  • 2022-04-08 05.00.40.jpg
    2022-04-08 05.00.40.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 94
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 5.02.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 5.02.30 AM.png
    491.3 KB · Views: 196

BattleFreak

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2022
Hello,

I followed the guide here and installed Monterey on my MacBook Pro Late 2013. Now I might want to equip my MacBook with a new SSD. Can I also follow the instructions or do I have to pay attention to something?

LG

BattleFreak

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2022
MaiZoODXWGlPYQUB.full.jpeg

No problem. I looked up the picture in English. I did NVRAM reset. Start with CMD+ATL+P+R and SHIFT+CTRL+Power. Problem occurs with every restart or after shutdown.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.