Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MP 1,1-5,1 Install nvme ssd in HighSierra without Metal GC?

mohnumber7

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2020
Montréal
Hi,

I've updated my rom to MP51.0089.B00 in HighSierra 10.13.6, I've mac pro 5.1 (mi2010) Dual CPU.
I have an nvme ssd samsung 970 Evo plus installed in a Pcie port and is detected, I can format it easily, it has the last firmware 2B2QEXM7 already installed by Samsung.

My question: is it possible to boot the system with this nvme ssd without having to install the firmware 144.0.0.0.0, of a metal GC is imposed to get access to this last firmware? and I must install the rom 144.0.0.0.0 to get this nvme work. thanks

Brunk.Systems

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2020
I found a Page with all newest Firmwareversions listed for downloads.

Can you confirm or disconfirm that the newest Firmware will support nvme??
I can not find any Info regarding this question. It would be nice if you had a source of Info aswell. Thanks

It's realy weird. The page was up just a minute back and is now down.
I downoaded the MP51.007F.B03 (EFI 1.5) File for MacPro 5,1. If you need it let me know.

Also there is a way discribed in this Forum to get nvme Support running.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/...NU7m-mDBLAWWJipyM/edit#heading=h.l23937sx565e
Following these instructions i con not obtain the necessary "NVMe_DXE.ffs.zip" file described in this document.
If anyone has a source - that woud be highly appreciated.
Also maybe someone can enlighten. What is the difference between the following Files:
1 "NVMe_DXE.ffs.zip"
2 "Nvme.ffs.zip"
wich are mentiond in this paper.

Thanks

Last edited:

tsialex

macrumors G3
Jun 13, 2016
I found a Page with all newest Firmwareversions listed for downloads.

Can you confirm or disconfirm that the newest Firmware will support nvme??
I can not find any Info regarding this question. It would be nice if you had a source of Info aswell. Thanks

It's realy weird. The page was up just a minute back and is now down.
I downoaded the MP51.007F.B03 (EFI 1.5) File for MacPro 5,1. If you need it let me know.

Also there is a way discribed in this Forum to get nvme Support running.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/...NU7m-mDBLAWWJipyM/edit#heading=h.l23937sx565e
Following these instructions i con not obtain the necessary "NVMe_DXE.ffs.zip" file described in this document.
If anyone has a source - that woud be highly appreciated.
Also maybe someone can enlighten. What is the difference between the following Files:
1 "NVMe_DXE.ffs.zip"
2 "Nvme.ffs.zip"
wich are mentiond in this paper.

Thanks
This is totally and completely obsolete, anyone doing this today is gonna get in serious trouble.

I know you are a newbie, but please don't post wrong info.

Reactions: KeesMacPro
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.