Install Snow Leopard from different computers setup disc

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jcdavies, Jul 19, 2010.

1. jcdavies macrumors member

Hey Guys

I have a Macbook running Mac OS 10.4.11 which i believe is Tiger.

I just purchased a refurb 2009 macmini which came with came with setup disc which includes snow leopard.

Am I able to use that disc to install snow leopard on me macbook???

If so how do i go about doing it.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No, you need to buy a retail copy of Snow Leopard for $169. Using the set-up disc will cause problems and is also not meant for that.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

No, as the restore DVDs are model specific. Just buy the 29 USD SL Upgrade DVD and use that on your Tiger Mac.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No...

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Technically the 29 USD Upgrade DVD can be used, legally the Mac Box Set is needed to install SL on a Tiger Mac.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Exactly... he should by the Set. Expensive as it is, it's the right thing to do.

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Why should s/he buy the set, if iLife and iWork is not needed? That's 40 USD for something one does not need.

8. pdjudd macrumors 601

Because that's how the software is licensed. It doesn't matter what is technically possible as long as the license doesn't permit it. Apple is very clear that if you have Tiger you must buy the box set.

Now there is no way for Apple to enforce it, but that's beside the point.

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What does iLife and iWork have to do with anything? The SL upgrade DVD includes neither iLife nor iWork. iLife is included with each new Mac. You must pay to upgrade iLife if you want to upgrade iLife. No version of iWork is free. If you want iWork on your new Mac, then you must pay for it.

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I'm not here to debate the legality on this subject, as it is done so often enough and it is also more often recommended to get the 29 USD upgrade DVD than the Mac Box Set for users of Tiger.

My point was/is, the OP wants to update to SL, but if no iLife and iWork is needed, one (here: OP) could just buy the SL Upgrade DVD instead of the Mac Box Set, as the SL Upgrade DVD technically works with Intel Macs, that came with Tiger, it is just not in agreement with the EULA.

In short: If the OP does not use iLife and/or iWork or does us it/them, but doesn't want to upgrade (an) existing copy/copies and only wants to upgrade Mac OS X 10.4.x to Mac OS X 10.6.x, the Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD technically works, but that procedure is not in agreement with the EULA. Therefore if the OP wants to agree with that un-printed document, s/he has to buy the Mac Box Set.

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Well then, you are the one without moral obligations, go ahead. Honesty is something rare to find these days. True Apple is a corporation, but hey, if you want to use something do it the right way. Don't cut corners. Don't want to agree to something? Don't buy it. Simple. Want it, buy what is legal for your situation.

Technically doesn't matter here. What matters is that the usage you plan to do is not allowed with in the software license of the update DVD.

You are just cleaning after yourself. Please don't it makes you look hypocritical.