Install Snow Leopard with Reboot DVD from MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by picaritos, Aug 2, 2011.

1. picaritos macrumors newbie

I'm wondering if I can install snow leopard on my MacBook 2007 (I have upgraded the ram to 4) with the MBP Mac OS X Install DVD that came with the laptop. Just wondering if I can avoid paying for the snow leopard upgrade. Thanks!!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No. Restore discs only work for the model of Mac they came with.

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Snow Leopard is a retail product - you'll need to buy the physical upgrade disc. It's not an extension of Leopard, but a separate major upgrade (10.5 to 10.6).

The version that shipped on the restore discs with the 2007 MB was either 10.4 (Tiger) or 10.5 (Leopard), depending on which 2007 model you have.

4. picaritos thread starter macrumors newbie

well the cd itself is labeled as mac osx install dvd, so I figured there would be a slim chance of it. (osx 10.6.7)
    I just got a MBP 13 and recently the upgrade to lion, so when i called apple they did suggest to upgrade to leapard and then sign on with my account and download lion at no extra cost on the white mac. I'm just wondering if I could go an even cheaper route and use these instal OS cds...

along with that there is also and applications instal cd, this one includes the iLife suite, would I be able to use these perhaps even if I get leapord from the store?

thanks guys