Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How did your install go?

• Total voters

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 29, 2010
California
Just curious to see what the success/failure rate is. It always seems like there are a lot of issues being posted post-launch that make it seem like the release has a ton of problems, but the truth is probably that most people install successfully and don't bother posting.

How did you install ML?
How long did it take?
What issues, if any, did you run into?

Last edited:

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
tumblr_m1opajuXEU1qixcq1.jpg

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 29, 2010
California
I guess I should have mentioned that I installed from the Mac App Store and had no issues whatsoever. I even had FileVault enabled in Lion, which many folks said would be an issue pre-launch.

Overall things seem very stable and smooth so far.

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
I downloaded ML from the MAS and took 4 hours (slowwww internet). Burned to a dual layer DVD and clean installed it. Installed perfectly albeit a little slowly from a DVD.

LeeRod

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
Michigan
I started around just a little before 6pm EST yesterday, took me about 2 hours to DL and install. Other than taking a while (which I expected) everything went fine.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
but the truth is probably that most people install successfully and don't bother posting.

Why would you expect the forum to be cluttered with, "My boring installation worked liked it was designed to! The progress bar moved to the right!"

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 29, 2010
California
Why would you expect the forum to be cluttered with, "My boring installation worked liked it was designed to! The progress bar moved to the right!"

Certainly not, but I think the point is that things aren't as grim as the forum makes it appear.

KingArthurVI

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2011
Penang, Malaysia
I bought a rMBP and was wondering if any of you guys are having problem with upgrading from the MAS? I'm not sure if I should do a clean install or upgrade from the MAS with my redemption code. Clean install sounds pretty tedious to me as I'm a first time Mac user, and I don't currently have a spare external HDD for TM to backup to. My friend said since my Mac is still new there shouldn't be problems upgrading it from the MAS, can anyone advise me on what to do? :D

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Installed Mountain Lion on:

1. A mid-2010 15" Macbook Pro
2. A mid-2011 21" iMac
3. An early-2009 mac mini

All from the App Store. No problems on any of them, and I'm definitely preferring this to Lion.

alworta

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
install success, but

use icloud to find my mac/settin up icloud now going for over an hour! is this normal?

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Took 5 hours to download and about an hour to install, but the first boot took 15 minutes on the grey Apple logo. I got quite scared and almost did a hard reset when I heard the hard drive whirring, so I decided to let it do whatever it wants. Then, very very slowly, it booted up. Hope it won't do that at the next boot.

NetCatman

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2012
Success.

After waiting hours for code from Apple I gave up and paid the $20. Download went fine, although was actually faster downloading over aircard than wifi.

Installed with zero problems. 11 min from start to final restart! Very pleased!

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Success.

After waiting hours for code from Apple I gave up and paid the $20. Download went fine, although was actually faster downloading over aircard than wifi.

Installed with zero problems. 11 min from start to final restart! Very pleased!

I'm surprised Apple didn't tell people to do this and then refund the price back.

This would be a great boost to sales.

Catastrophe.

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2010
Wales
Everything went fine for me :) I downloaded it from the Mac App Store. It took about 2/3 hours to download (my download speed isn't the best) and took about 35 minutes to install.

It did take a while to boot up after installing the OS though.

I'm using the mid 2011 iMac.

v0dka

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
/dev/random
My install went well but it took 17 hours until it was finished. 35 minutes to download then I found out my usb stick for a clean install is too small but it was too late to drive into the City to get a bigger one - slept very well went into city to buy a much bigger stick (32GB) and install took I think only 45 minutes or less and everything went well - except one problem: Kaspersky isn't working anymore.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion upgrade via USB drive: Early 2009 Mac mini

The Mountain Lion download from the MAS to a cloned external FireWire drive took about an hour, creating and copying to a 16GB USB stick took maybe 15 minutes (thanks Macworld!), reboot, upgrade from Snow Leopard using the new USB stick installer to the external FireWire drive took maybe a half hour (wasn't paying attention) and probably another good hour and a half until Spotlight finished on the upgraded FireWire drive. It's now running as fast as Snow Leopard ever did, and all of my critical applications are working normally (Lightroom, Logic, my FireWire and USB audio interfaces, etc.).

I'm one happy camper. :)

Now that I'm convinced it's a smooth process I'll squirrel away my additional bootable Snow Leopard drive, and then either clone the external FireWire drive with Mountain Lion back to the internal drive, or (more likely) run the upgrade again against the internal Snow Leopard HDD tonight.

Good times! :cool:

jive turkey

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
I'm going to vote "success," but I think the installer had a few hiccups on my Pro, but it sorted them out. Twice I got down to 3 minutes left on the installer, and it froze for about 10 minutes, then kicked me back to 18 minutes left. I was worried for a second but in the end it all worked out.

Zero issues on the MBP.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Downloaded early this morning, took about 90 minutes for me.

Made a bootable USB installer, also backed up the Install app as well. Un-Apple-like hassle. Wish Apple still sold it on physical media.

Cloned my existing Lion disk (CCC) so I had a perfect back-up before doing anything.

Installed over my Lion disk, took about 35 minutes to install.

So far, so good. Or, so far, so much better than Lion!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.