Install XP SP2 on a seperate HDD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phem0r, Apr 29, 2008.

1. phem0r macrumors newbie

Hello

I am going to be borrowing a MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 15" from a friend for a business trip.

I have a spare 160GB sata hdd that i could put it in and remove the drive with Mac OS on it (i really dont get on with mac os :()

Ive been reading around and ive seen alot of this Boot camp and stuff to do with partitioning the current drive.

My question is can you just install XP on a totally seperate hdd to the mac os hdd and if so is there a certain way to do it?

Thanks

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

People have tried and failed after heroic efforts. The first obstacle for a MacBook Pro user is that Windows XP can only be installed on an external drive if the computer used doesn't have an internal drive, so you'd need to remove the internal drive, install XP, put the internal drive back in. Not what I would like to try. And that is just the first problem.

As far as I know the final straw is that during the boot process, XP uses a USB driver from the Bios, then at some point finds a newer better USB driver in the Windows XP operating system, tries to switch to it and crashes because it just removed the USB driver that it used to read from its boot disk.

You might check if Parallels works for you.

3. phem0r thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh well thats that idea out the window.

I cant really install anything on there Mac HDD as they wouldn't be too pleased :( so i cant do this BootCamp lark or anything else.