Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

KIDROCKETZ

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2016
ITALY
ok,
let's review this,,,
One thing, i had MacBook 4.1 ,, i don't have it anymore, so, if you try all those things, and get a succesfull Boot OR NOT Please feedback, we'll try to find a way to get it,
Have fun,
step by step,
this worked for me, and i've installed Mavericks and Yosemite, plus Lion,
so, i've done 3/4 partitions,
first i've installed Lion,
then, get SFOOT scritp Beta, get Yosemite from Apple store
create your Usb SFOTT Install,
You have to patch you PlatformSuport.PList with your Mac Model and ID,, you will see ti when you run "SFOTT Script",, <<<Follow the video i've post >>>
If you don't now how to do it,,ask for,, if is not well done, you'll never get boot/install
copy the original Boot.EFI from dmg Yosemite to the Usb SFOTT ( you'll find one there too, you need to replace it )
Done?
reboot your Mac, pressing Option Key
Boot from Usb SFOTT,,
The installation will take a moment, go get a coffe,,
in the end, he will tell you " Successful Install " reboot,,
Here, You reboot pressing Option key
Chose your Lion Partition to Boot,
go to finder, chose your Yosemite Partition System/Library/CoreServices and delete
>>>>PlatformSupport.plist<<<<
Not anything else,,
Reboot pressing Option Key
Chose Yosemite,
the magic should start,,
You should get some extra stuff once you get it run,,to TuneUp your Mac,
have fun,,and good luck

I have done this several times !! mavericks are able to install Yosemite but no! a month that I try but nothing..ho also tried to make the key bootable alone .... install Yosemite but after restart when the screen comes out with the symbol of proihibition ... do not know anymore what to do !!!

Wolwerine

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
France
ok,, did you get " successful Install " Running SFOTT Beta? You Must get " Successfull Install "
If Yes,,
Do You have another Partition with another OS X Version running, you need,,you never boot up directly from Yosemite,
you "must" have another OS side by side with Yosemite, if you have done like that, don't worry, the final step is reboot your mac and boot from Lion ( Lion or any other,,in case you have it installed ) you must press Option key to chose Lion, other way, by default he will try to boot Yosemite, giving you 1 error,,
reboot, pressing Option Key, chose Lion
done?
when is open, go to finder, chose Yosemite partition, go to system/library/coreservives and " Delete " PlatformSupport.Plist File,, your system will create one in the next boot, other way will have that error and " Never will Boot ",,
If you don't have any other partition on Your HHD/SSD, but, you have another mac running, just take of your HHD/SSD, connect to the other mac go to Yosemite partition system/library/coreservices and delete PlatformSupport.Plist file, put back your HHD/SSD on your mac, boot Up
He should boot properly,,
good Luck

KIDROCKETZ

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2016
ITALY
ok,, did you get " successful Install " Running SFOTT Beta? You Must get " Successfull Install "
If Yes,,
Do You have another Partition with another OS X Version running, you need,,you never boot up directly from Yosemite,
you "must" have another OS side by side with Yosemite, if you have done like that, don't worry, the final step is reboot your mac and boot from Lion ( Lion or any other,,in case you have it installed ) you must press Option key to chose Lion, other way, by default he will try to boot Yosemite, giving you 1 error,,
reboot, pressing Option Key, chose Lion
done?
when is open, go to finder, chose Yosemite partition, go to system/library/coreservives and " Delete " PlatformSupport.Plist File,, your system will create one in the next boot, other way will have that error and " Never will Boot ",,
If you don't have any other partition on Your HHD/SSD, but, you have another mac running, just take of your HHD/SSD, connect to the other mac go to Yosemite partition system/library/coreservices and delete PlatformSupport.Plist file, put back your HHD/SSD on your mac, boot Up
He should boot properly,,
good Luck

I have another partition with lion ... I have done everything you say but nothing !!!

KIDROCKETZ

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2016
ITALY

Attachments

• Schermata 02-2457439 alle 19.49.20.png
    Schermata 02-2457439 alle 19.49.20.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 310
Last edited:

Wolwerine

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
France
don't be disappointed, they have made Yosemite run already on Macbook 3.1,
I've work hardly first making a real Macintosh with my Dell D620, running Snow Leopard original DVD from Apple Store, then i spend more than 1 month to be able to create a Good Usb Install,,then i found SFOTT and everything had run smoothly,,i've installed Mavericks and Yosemite, side by side with Lion,,, Yosemite run's better than Mavericks, and SFOTT Script have worked very well for me, i don't really now if the process is the same, but you can try, this web page, they have done it already,, good luck,,,,,https://www.thinkclassic.org/viewtopic.php?id=425
[doublepost=1455997411][/doublepost]I've done a video " exemple how to patch the PlatformSupport.plist,

KIDROCKETZ

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2016
ITALY
don't be disappointed, they have made Yosemite run already on Macbook 3.1,
I've work hardly first making a real Macintosh with my Dell D620, running Snow Leopard original DVD from Apple Store, then i spend more than 1 month to be able to create a Good Usb Install,,then i found SFOTT and everything had run smoothly,,i've installed Mavericks and Yosemite, side by side with Lion,,, Yosemite run's better than Mavericks, and SFOTT Script have worked very well for me, i don't really now if the process is the same, but you can try, this web page, they have done it already,, good luck,,,,,https://www.thinkclassic.org/viewtopic.php?id=425
[doublepost=1455997411][/doublepost]I've done a video " exemple how to patch the PlatformSupport.plist,

I thank you for your patience ... I tried everything and do not know anymore what to do !!! Now I try again to make a key with sfott..se does not do it alone once again !!! I'll get my news soon !!!

KIDROCKETZ

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2016
ITALY
I thank you for your patience ... I tried everything and do not know anymore what to do !!! Now I try again to make a key with sfott..se does not do it alone once again !!! I'll get my news soon !!!

here is what I did:
I tried it with sfott system but did not work

I made a usb alone so:

I opened the file installESD basesystem.dmg I found the file and I made a usb

I copied the packages folder

I modified OSinstall.mpkg

I modified the file installablemachines.plist

I modified the file platformsupport.plist

I copied the files BaseSystem.dmg and BaseSystem.chunklist

I added the kernels folder

I changed the boot files in the CoreServices folder in the i386 folder

I installed the system, I waited 20 minutes

I rebooted into the lion partition

I went on the partition where I installed Yosemite

I deleted the files platformsupport.plist

I rebooted

I chose the partition with Yosemite and leaves me with the usual symbol of the prohibition !!!!!!

I CAN NOT REALLY UNDERSTAND HOW IS POSSIBLE !! PLEASE TELL ME WHAT I HAVE SOMETHING WRONG !!! I'm going crazy HELP ME !!!!!

Wolwerine

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
France
here is what I did:

I made a usb alone so:

I rebooted

I chose the partition with Yosemite and leaves me with the usual symbol of the prohibition !!!!!!

I CAN NOT REALLY UNDERSTAND HOW IS POSSIBLE !! PLEASE TELL ME WHAT I HAVE SOMETHING WRONG !!! I'm going crazy HELP ME !!!!!
ok,
after reading your post, i think i now why you can't install it,,
I don't think you will install Yosemite with that Usb Install,,

ok, you didn't follow my process,,
I didn't make my Usb Install like that,,
if you want to install, you " Must " use SFOTT Beta Script,,
ok?
so let's start again,,
go to disk utility and erase your usb, name it if you want
open google and search SFOTT Beta,Script 32/64,,install it,
you need Yosemite Dmg, Beta, Official or developer any one of those 3 work
put it on your applications folder is better,
Open SFOTT he will ask you for password type it,,
check the video i've made,,ive done this step by step,,go check the video,,
In this process you only NEED to patch 1 FILE PlatformSupport.Plist,,that you will find on System/Library/CoreServices on your SFOTT USB Instal when is done,,
When is done, reboot, pressing Option key, chose Usb SFOTT, you should get " successfull Install ",,
Reboot, Press Option Key, chose Lion, go to finder,
chose your Yosemite partition, go to system/library/coreservices and delete the PlatformSupport.Plist file,
done? reboot, pressing Option key, c
chose yosemite, he should boot normally, you need somethings to tune up your mac,,
the only thing you had to do, beside running SFOTT Script is replace Boot.EFI and patch the PlatformSupport.Plist,,,
be aware that without this script, your attempt to install Yosemite will fail,,
[doublepost=1456011780][/doublepost]
here is what I did:

I made a usb alone so:

I rebooted

with SFOTT Beta, you don't need to modify any package, only Platformsupport.Plist and remplace the Boot.EFI,, you are good to remake your Usb drive, don't create like that, use SFOOT Beta,, this page,,http://oemden.com/downloads/
[doublepost=1456012317][/doublepost]I advise you to follow every step,
remake your Usb Install,,is no good for you,,
erase it
get SFOTT Beta and install it on your Unsupported mac,,,is better for you, other important think, leave other system running, Lion, Snow leopard, you will need it, to first boot,,
When you install Yosemite, if you have made the good Usb Install, he should tell you " Syccessfull Install " reboot your mac,,you will reboot, press option key, chose Lion or SL, make what i've said,
Reboot now he should boot on Yosemite, cause Yosemite was install to boot by default,,
hope you get it done,,

KIDROCKETZ

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2016
ITALY
ok,
after reading your post, i think i now why you can't install it,,
I don't think you will install Yosemite with that Usb Install,,

ok, you didn't follow my process,,
I didn't make my Usb Install like that,,
if you want to install, you " Must " use SFOTT Beta Script,,
ok?
so let's start again,,
go to disk utility and erase your usb, name it if you want
open google and search SFOTT Beta,Script 32/64,,install it,
you need Yosemite Dmg, Beta, Official or developer any one of those 3 work
put it on your applications folder is better,
Open SFOTT he will ask you for password type it,,
check the video i've made,,ive done this step by step,,go check the video,,
In this process you only NEED to patch 1 FILE PlatformSupport.Plist,,that you will find on System/Library/CoreServices on your SFOTT USB Instal when is done,,
When is done, reboot, pressing Option key, chose Usb SFOTT, you should get " successfull Install ",,
Reboot, Press Option Key, chose Lion, go to finder,
chose your Yosemite partition, go to system/library/coreservices and delete the PlatformSupport.Plist file,
done? reboot, pressing Option key, c
chose yosemite, he should boot normally, you need somethings to tune up your mac,,
the only thing you had to do, beside running SFOTT Script is replace Boot.EFI and patch the PlatformSupport.Plist,,,
be aware that without this script, your attempt to install Yosemite will fail,,
[doublepost=1456011780][/doublepost]
with SFOTT Beta, you don't need to modify any package, only Platformsupport.Plist and remplace the Boot.EFI,, you are good to remake your Usb drive, don't create like that, use SFOOT Beta,, this page,,http://oemden.com/downloads/
[doublepost=1456012317][/doublepost]I advise you to follow every step,
remake your Usb Install,,is no good for you,,
erase it
get SFOTT Beta and install it on your Unsupported mac,,,is better for you, other important think, leave other system running, Lion, Snow leopard, you will need it, to first boot,,
When you install Yosemite, if you have made the good Usb Install, he should tell you " Syccessfull Install " reboot your mac,,you will reboot, press option key, chose Lion or SL, make what i've said,
Reboot now he should boot on Yosemite, cause Yosemite was install to boot by default,,
hope you get it done,,[/QUOT

I made the key with sfott beta as you said ..
reboot and choose the key
start installation and go into recovery mode yosemite
I choose reinstall os x and tells me that I must download from the internet ......
I captain all to me !!!!! I'm tired!!!!:mad:

Wolwerine

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
France
well,, you have describe on your post before, the way, step by step how do you create your USB SFOOT, i've told you before, you have done at your way,
I've " Patched only 1 File " you have patched 2 Files, that could change everything,,
You having errors, you must follow one specific method other way you will lose a lot of time, be precise, don't make things like you think they should be done,,there's many ways to create USB SFOOT,,at least, after trying many, this one had worked for me
Get Yosemite dmg
Get 1 Usb drive 8G minimum ( USB 3.0 si much better ) erase all, extended journaled
Open SFOOT follow every step, we will take some time,
Note:
- Grab a pencil and a Paper, open this link
and write all steps on the paper, is better, i move to fast with SFOTT Beta, make pause if need it,,
check the 2 part,
I don't change any Package,
i've changed only the Boot.EFI that SFOOT had created for the Boot.EFI from Yosemite Dmg,,
besides that, i've patched mu specific PlatformSupport.plist, i didn't modify or copy anything else,,i've made a screenshot of my USB SFOTT ( Screenshot 1), your's should be the same, and i can see it's not,,check it out,,
Your screen is not the same, this installing process 5 Screenshot 2) make's this installation run like a standard installation of Yosemite on a Supported MacBook, so, you should not see/have one of your screenshots, " Where you can see 2 lines One EFI,,, ",,
[doublepost=1456019642][/doublepost]
I made the key with sfott beta as you said ..
reboot and choose the key
start installation and go into recovery mode yosemite
I choose reinstall os x and tells me that I must download from the internet ......
I captain all to me !!!!! I'm tired!!!!:mad:
Don't go to recovery mode,,
You have done your Usb following other method, not mine, check the video, make a pause, get a coffe, or start tomorrow, make it right, don't try to do things your way,,
get a pencil and a peace of paper, is better the video i've made i'm quit fast with SFOTT Beta, note every step, make pause if you need, i've spend more time with this then you can imagine,,
you have finish watching the 2 videos, you have noted all steps, you have all stuff, you ready,,
Make your Usb SFOTT, and get Yosemite Install,,
Be Calm, don't worry, this things some times take time,
You have Macbook 3.1 and he was already tested, Yosemite run's on it,,just like on MacBook 4.1,,more or less, i didn't have the chance to trie it by myself,, but is posted/verified

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2016-02-21 à 02.22.48.png
    Capture d’écran 2016-02-21 à 02.22.48.png
    1 MB · Views: 309
  • Capture d’écran 2016-02-21 à 02.29.41.png
    Capture d’écran 2016-02-21 à 02.29.41.png
    751.2 KB · Views: 290

KIDROCKETZ

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2016
ITALY
well,, you have describe on your post before, the way, step by step how do you create your USB SFOOT, i've told you before, you have done at your way,
I've " Patched only 1 File " you have patched 2 Files, that could change everything,,
You having errors, you must follow one specific method other way you will lose a lot of time, be precise, don't make things like you think they should be done,,there's many ways to create USB SFOOT,,at least, after trying many, this one had worked for me
Get Yosemite dmg
Get 1 Usb drive 8G minimum ( USB 3.0 si much better ) erase all, extended journaled
Note:
and write all steps on the paper, is better, i move to fast with SFOTT Beta, make pause if need it,,
check the 2 part,
i've changed only the Boot.EFI that SFOOT had created for the Boot.EFI from Yosemite Dmg,,
besides that, i've patched mu specific PlatformSupport.plist, i didn't modify or copy anything else,,i've made a screenshot of my USB SFOTT ( Screenshot 1), your's should be the same, and i can see it's not,,check it out,,
Your screen is not the same, this installing process 5 Screenshot 2) make's this installation run like a standard installation of Yosemite on a Supported MacBook, so, you should not see/have one of your screenshots, " Where you can see 2 lines One EFI,,, ",,
You have done your Usb following other method, not mine, check the video, make a pause, get a coffe, or start tomorrow, make it right, don't try to do things your way,,
get a pencil and a peace of paper, is better the video i've made i'm quit fast with SFOTT Beta, note every step, make pause if you need, i've spend more time with this then you can imagine,,
you have finish watching the 2 videos, you have noted all steps, you have all stuff, you ready,,
You have Macbook 3.1 and he was already tested, Yosemite run's on it,,just like on MacBook 4.1,,more or less, i didn't have the chance to trie it by myself,, but is posted/verified

ok thank you later try !!! you'll news from me !!!;)

KIDROCKETZ

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2016
ITALY
Get Yosemite dmg
Note:
check the 2 part,

thank you so much!!! I solved!!! sfott not work with me I do not know why '!! I made a key alone and I followed your advice after installation thanks !!!!!
:D:apple::)
[doublepost=1456093450][/doublepost]
thank you so much!!! I solved!!! sfott not work with me I do not know why '!! I made a key alone and I followed your advice after installation thanks !!!!!
have a problem audio and video....

Reactions: Wolwerine

bazil63

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2016
Hey guys, its 128keaton. I wanted to make a quick guide for those who are stumbling through getting Yosemite on your unsupported Macs, namely Mac Pros and Mac Minis which are perfectly capable with some upgrades. Before you begin, if you have a Mac Pro, get a better graphics card, your default one will suck, thanks to Yosemite. The one that I am using as a stop-gap actually works fine for Yosemite, it is currently $35 (USD) on Newegg, if you want it, here is the link. Now on to the guide!

NOTICE: I am not responsible for erasing or breaking your Mac! Continue at your own risk!

This works on the public release with some 'shoe-horn'ing.

Prerequisites:
* An unsupported Mac, your choice if you deem it capable or not.
* SFOTT Beta [download] [mirror]
* A USB Drive (8GB).
* OS X Yosemite.app

Pre-install:

1. Download and install SFOTT from the link/mirror above.

2. Download Yosemite either from a suspicious location or from the Mac App Store (try using Mavericks Download Enabler if on unsupported Mac).

3. Rename 'Install OS X Yosemite.app' to 'Install OS X Yosemite Beta.app'.
Hopefully that will not need to happen in newer versions of the script.

4. Plug the USB drive into your Mac and format it as 'Mac OS Extended' and name it SFOTT.

(photos will be added later)

Note: 12a only needs to be done if your Mac Pro's graphic card doesn't have EFI boot. If it does, you can still use 12a, but you can also use 12b.

I have a macbook white 3.1 with a lion and I did stick with Yosemite but I do not appear to boot.
It only appears Macintosh HD and Recovery. Why?
[doublepost=1456531008][/doublepost]I have a macbook white 3.1 with a lion and I did stick with Yosemite but I do not appear to boot.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
[doublepost=1456531008][/doublepost]I have a macbook white 3.1 with a lion and I did stick with Yosemite but I do not appear to boot.
Maybe you haven't crated your disk right?

antonvdh

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2016
How can I delete the Target System to re-Patch is: HELLOTHERE
I do not want to re-patch.

Wolwerine

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
France
[doublepost=1456093450][/doublepost]
have a problem audio and video....
You welcome, have fun, cheers,
[doublepost=1456839534][/doublepost]
How can I delete the Target System to re-Patch is: HELLOTHERE
I do not want to re-patch.
why do you need to delete?

antonvdh

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2016
I have made a usb bootable SFOTT Yosemite but when rebooting
a white apple logo appears and then a loading beam but immediatly black screen saying
ng RAM Disk for /var/log and then the MacPro reboots again.
Did I forget something ?

Wolwerine

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
France
ok, try to boot on verbose mode, or better, try to boot from your SFOOT, after select your Usb, scroll with arrows and type " -x -f " then "enter ",,you should see all things loading and probably " kernel panics ",,, But, before, did you patch correctly your PlatformSupport.plist ?

Wolwerine

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
France
that's something you should have done, if you have made SFOOT, you should now that as a problem, specific with Playformsupport.plist, he patch the file, but not the right way,,
I've made this video to show people how to patch a PlatformSupport.plist
[doublepost=1456846474][/doublepost]
Hey guys, its 128keaton. I wanted to make a quick guide for those who are stumbling through getting Yosemite on your unsupported Macs, namely Mac Pros and Mac Minis which are perfectly capable with some upgrades. Before you begin, if you have a Mac Pro, get a better graphics card, your default one will suck, thanks to Yosemite. The one that I am using as a stop-gap actually works fine for Yosemite, it is currently $35 (USD) on Newegg, if you want it, here is the link. Now on to the guide!

NOTICE: I am not responsible for erasing or breaking your Mac! Continue at your own risk!

This works on the public release with some 'shoe-horn'ing.

Prerequisites:
* An unsupported Mac, your choice if you deem it capable or not.
* SFOTT Beta [download] [mirror]
* A USB Drive (8GB).
* OS X Yosemite.app

Pre-install:

1. Download and install SFOTT from the link/mirror above.

2. Download Yosemite either from a suspicious location or from the Mac App Store (try using Mavericks Download Enabler if on unsupported Mac).

3. Rename 'Install OS X Yosemite.app' to 'Install OS X Yosemite Beta.app'.
Hopefully that will not need to happen in newer versions of the script.

4. Plug the USB drive into your Mac and format it as 'Mac OS Extended' and name it SFOTT.

(photos will be added later)

Note: 12a only needs to be done if your Mac Pro's graphic card doesn't have EFI boot. If it does, you can still use 12a, but you can also use 12b.

SFOTT:

1. Open SFOTTBeta and follow the instructions until you get to a numbered Terminal menu.

2. Go to the Extras menu (7) and then the Yosemite menu (9).

3. Select Yosemite Public Beta (2), since the official option is a placeholder, lol.
4.Go back to the main menu (1) and go to settings (3).

5. Select 'Choose USB/media for the sfott key' (2) and select the SFOTT usb key you made earlier.

6. Return to the main menu (5) and then go to settings (3) then select option 'Select the computer to use' (3).

7. Use option 'Choose current computer' (1) and then select 'Select OS X System Version' (4).

8. Select 'OS X Yosemite Beta' (1)

9. Select 'Select OS X Installer' (5) and select 'In the default /Applications Folder location (Faster)' (1) It should work if you renamed your installer specified above.

10. Go back to the main menu and select 'Create / Patch SFOTT Key' (4).

11. Select 'Create a New key in Autorun' (2). Follow the directions there.

12a. If you have a graphics card that doesn't support EFI boot, open System Preferences on the target Mac, plug in the SFOTT USB key, and open the 'Startup Disk' preference pane. Select the SFOTT key and reboot from the panel.

12b. If you are using a Mac with built-in graphics or your graphics card supports EFI boot, just reboot and hold down option after the chime.

13. Your install should continue as expected.

Troubleshooting:

1. The installer says 'OS X Cannot be Installed on this Machine':
Make sure you set your machine/board-id in step 6-7.
I think you forgot something, SFOOT is a great script,,but,, many times, " often ", even if we setup correctly board/ID, following your Tuto, we'll never get successfull boot, only because, SFOOT Script Beta, patches the platformsupport.plist the wrong way, so, we " must " patch ourselfs our " PlatformSupport.plist ", other way, we never get boot or install.
Just think you guys should now that.
Cheers.

antonvdh

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2016
Sorry did not know that. How can I clear the target option I accidentally set to the usb.

Wolwerine

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
France
BUMP! I'm pretty sure this should be a simple task, could somebody please shed some light on how you do it?
open finder go to folder where you have " install OS X Yosemite.app ", right clic, chose " Info ",hould be the 4 line,,,,something will open,
then you can change the name
see the screenshots,, Mac2.png
[doublepost=1456847477][/doublepost]
Sorry did not know that. How can I clear the target option I accidentally set to the usb.
you are making a Usb install using SFOOT?, check main menu/settings

Attachments

• Mac1.png
    Mac1.png
    176.4 KB · Views: 260

antonvdh

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2016
I meant how to change added : Target System to re-patch : as mentioned in the SFOTT script.
I cannot change it back to default

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.