Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Wolwerine

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
France
i can't be precise, but, or we install something to disable it or we do something else, can't really remember, sorry about that,

SignalFlow562

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2016
Hi guys I'm new to this forum and I've tried everything to make my USB drive bootable with no luck. I've tried to use my FireWire external with no luck as well. I really don't want to buy a new Mac and hear a lot of people with success so I want to give this a go before buying a new machine. My setup is a MacPro 1.1 2.66 on OsX 10.7.5, downloaded 10.10.5 for Sfott key. Any help or suggestions will be tremendous.

SignalFlow562

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2016
i remember that we had some patche to disable " sleep mode ",,more i can't remember sorry.
Is this in regards to not being able to see the flash drive as a boot drive? That's the only problem I'm having right now. I've been able to make the Sfott key to the usb drive but it won't show as a bootable drive. I've also been successful in doing this on a FireWire drive but both won't be recognized as a bootable drive. I've tried holding option upon startup and no Sfott drive. I've also checked in start up menu and the drive is not listed. I'm stumped.

SignalFlow562

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2016
If thought I'd ask the TS. I'm new to this forum and I've tried everything to make my USB drive bootable with no luck. I've tried to use my FireWire external with no luck as well. I was able to make the Sfott keys but they won't be recognized on my system as a bootable drive. My setup is a MacPro 1.1 2.66 on OsX 10.7.5, downloaded OS X 10.10.5 for Sfott key. Any help or suggestions will be tremendous as I would like to bring my system back to life.

Wolwerine

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
France
ok, did you try to replace your Boot.EFI
somehow i think your problem is there, in the boot file, but that's only a sugestion,
[doublepost=1460505977][/doublepost]SFOTT Usb Install should be created on the Mac you want to run Yosemite,,, if you used SFOTT Beta follow the instructions, reboot, pressing the option key, if you don't see your Usb Install, reboot again on your system, change the boot.efi try again,,

SignalFlow562

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2016
ok, did you try to replace your Boot.EFI
somehow i think your problem is there, in the boot file, but that's only a sugestion,
[doublepost=1460505977][/doublepost]SFOTT Usb Install should be created on the Mac you want to run Yosemite,,, if you used SFOTT Beta follow the instructions, reboot, pressing the option key, if you don't see your Usb Install, reboot again on your system, change the boot.efi try again,,
Hi wolverines thanks for your response. I'm a serious noob when it comes to this kind of stuff. Can you direct me On instruction on how to replace the boot.efi? Is there also another boot.efi I need to replace with?

Wolwerine

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
France
OK, i'll try, no promesses ok,
So, did you follow the SFOTT tuto for doing your SFOTT Usb Instal, right?
O, usually, when we follow the Tuto, at the end, we must change the Boot.EFI, localized on System/Library/Coreserviçes on your SFOTT Instal Usb, for the Boot.EFI of your Yosemite Dmg, for that, you should have a app to be able to see " hidden files " on your mac, is name is " Show Hiden Files ", is free get it
Once installed, doble click on icon, your finder will reopen, is normal,
Now surf on finder to you Usb Install Sfott, go to System/Library/Coreserviçes, there you should see, " boot.EFI ", he should be lock with a pad/circle,,
[doublepost=1460546145][/doublepost]
Hi wolverines thanks for your response. I'm a serious noob when it comes to this kind of stuff. Can you direct me On instruction on how to replace the boot.efi? Is there also another boot.efi I need to replace with?
Sorry, my mistake, i upload a video, all process are there, is kind difficult to explain all, better if you see it for your yourself,
this is the link,

Reactions: SignalFlow562

SignalFlow562

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2016
O, usually, when we follow the Tuto, at the end, we must change the Boot.EFI, localized on System/Library/Coreserviçes on your SFOTT Instal Usb, for the Boot.EFI of your Yosemite Dmg, for that, you should have a app to be able to see " hidden files " on your mac, is name is " Show Hiden Files ", is free get it
Now surf on finder to you Usb Install Sfott, go to System/Library/Coreserviçes, there you should see, " boot.EFI ", he should be lock with a pad/circle,,
Sorry, my mistake, i upload a video, all process are there, is kind difficult to explain all, better if you see it for your yourself,
this is the link,
Thank you wolwerine. I will give this a shot when I have a minute and let you know.

SignalFlow562

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2016
this is the link,
Hi there I've been trying to decipher the video but it very low quality and not in English. Do you by chance have a step by step in text I can read?

SignalFlow562

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2016
Hi wolwerine I was able to find the hidden files on the STOFF key but I don't see the "boot.efi" file
image.png

This is far as I got. What am I supposed to replace?

milesz

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2016
I want to do a completely clean install of Yosemite on my black MacBook 4,1.

Got the general release of Yosemite, renamed it "Install Yosemite Beta.app", and ran SFOTT. Enabled the Yosemite installer, and selected the above app. Selected an external drive I was willing to erase to create my bootable installer on as the SFOTT target, and selected the current computer as the system to install to (MacBook4,1 & Mac-F22788A9).

Created the new installer disk (aka "key") using Autorun. It appears that everything was moved to the drive correctly, with no errors.

However, when I try to boot to that drive which is selectable in the Startup Manager, it fails with no visible error message and instead boots to the internal hard drive on my system.

It should be noted that this MacBook currently is running Mountain Lion using the old MLPostFactor kit. Is this messing with the EFI installation for the new drive? Am I missing something else in the setup process?

(Very frustrated here, as I wasted my entire day off trying to get this to work. I'm just sayin'... Not that it's any of your concern.)

I am having the same problem but I went from Lion to Yosemite and used Macpostfactor v1.0.1. The first boot up went to Yosemite and when I added the updates and reboot it when back to Lion. Also, When I tried to reboot the sys using the option key, I can see the Yosemite driver, click on it and it opens back in Lion. How did you fix it?

SignalFlow562

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2016
Okay I finally found the easiest way to install Yosemite on my MP 1.1. It looks like the file was already created as a bootable disk so you don't need to go through all the steps listed in the OPs post as its already done for you on the download.
Just download this file (torrent)
http://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4847233

Open .dmg file and it will be a boot disk. Just clone the boot disk to a drive( I used superduper). Restart computer and hold option. Open boot drive and install.

Last edited:

dimobr

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2016
Next Monday will take a 1.1 with two X5365. As I have a 5.1 a friend told me that I can use it to facilitate the entire Yosemite installation process. He told me that I should install Yosemite on the target drive I will use in 1.1 using my 5.1, apply the necessary patch, and then simply return it to 1.1, this is true?

SignalFlow562

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2016
Next Monday will take a 1.1 with two X5365. As I have a 5.1 a friend told me that I can use it to facilitate the entire Yosemite installation process. He told me that I should install Yosemite on the target drive I will use in 1.1 using my 5.1, apply the necessary patch, and then simply return it to 1.1, this is true?
Just take a look at the post above. The file in the torrent is already a bootable with all the patches in it. All you need to do is clone the bootable drive to a sub stick or a partition ( I used superduper). Restart and hold option. Boot up from the Usb partition and you should be good to go. You can do a clean install but I just did an update over 10.7.5 and all is working amazing.

This being said, you don't need your friends computer, you don't need to do the steps the OP has posted as the file in the torrent already has the patches in it.

Last edited:
Reactions: dimobr

dimobr

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2016
Just take a look at the post above. The file in the torrent is already a bootable with all the patches in it. All you need to do is clone the bootable drive to a sub stick or a partition ( I used superduper). Restart and hold option. Boot up from the Usb partition and you should be good to go. You can do a clean install but I just did an update over 10.7.5 and all is working amazing.

This being said, you don't need your friends computer, you don't need to do the steps the OP has posted as the file in the torrent already has the patches in it.

Great, download in progress.
:)

SignalFlow562

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2016
Great, download in progress.
:)
Awesome! I tried the OPs directions and got nowhere. The download was straight to the point and I'm up running 10.10. Let me know if how things go.

FYI I'm not sure if you'll have the same issues but once 10.10 is installed, restarting is an issue. You'll need to shut the computer down then start up again.

Last edited:

dimobr

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2016
Awesome! I tried the OPs directions and got nowhere. The download was straight to the point and I'm up running 10.10. Let me know if how things go.

FYI I'm not sure if you'll have the same issues but once 10.10 is installed, restarting is an issue. You'll need to shut the computer down then start up again.

I installed the Yosemite today, the installation through the DMG that you shared is extremely simple and it works perfectly. Thank you very much.

SignalFlow562

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2016
I installed the Yosemite today, the installation through the DMG that you shared is extremely simple and it works perfectly. Thank you very much.
Awesome!!:) Im glad I could help. I was literally going crazy trying to do what the OP posted and I got nowhere fast. I just wanted to make sure others can benefit from my trial and errors.

dimobr

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2016
Awesome!!:) Im glad I could help. I was literally going crazy trying to do what the OP posted and I got nowhere fast. I just wanted to make sure others can benefit from my trial and errors.
Thanks for sharing. With this distribution I can upgrade to the latest version of Yosemite?

SignalFlow562

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2016
Thanks for sharing. With this distribution I can upgrade to the latest version of Yosemite?
I still haven't figured out the updating part. There should be a patch or something floating around. I'm just happy to have Yosemite and not have to buy a new Mac.

Last edited:
Reactions: dimobr

Wolwerine

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
France
ups,, that's something i donn't remember, i don't have anymore my old macbook 4.1,, check youtube, search for Angrybirds,,

Dudefoxlive

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2014
NO
hey im back and i got a new problem i got yosemite installed on my macbook late 2006 some time like idk in march and now something has come up it says their is an update in the mac app store and i was to update it but i can't because if i do then my mac will become unbootable. yes i know i can use the recovery partition to fix it but that is another problem their was an update that installed even though i have updates for it disabled or at least i think i do. is their a way that i can fix it so that i can make a os x hackers macpostfactor recovery usb or can i use the installer and restore the hacked bootloader or what ever it is called for mac that way? Please help me i want to update but i can't without having a unbootable machine on my hands

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.