installed failed

Discussion in 'macOS' started by puckhead193, Nov 23, 2007.

1. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i was updating the 'rents computer with leopard and when it ran though the disk check whatever, it came up that it failed. So i went to try again and now i don't have the options to upgrade, archive install etc. I get the hard drive icon with an exclamation point saying it needs to be reformated and it gives me too options for i think journaled and non journal or something like that.
    Any ideas?
    PS they have a stock 20" imac C2D and the disk worked fine on my pb, my brothers mbp and PM g5. Its a family pack

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Run Disk Utility from the Leopard install disk and try Repair Disk. You can get to it after the "select language" window. If the drive repairs successfully, you should have the upgrade options again.

3. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

no dice. repaired permissions and i still get the extended journal thing. What does this mean.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Not repair permissions - repair disk (right side of Disk Utility window).

It won't allow you to do an install on a damaged partition, so the only option for it is to have you reformat (erase) that partition. If you need to, Extended (journaled) is the correct choice.

5. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

So i brought it to apple and they tried to boot of the external drive and it did fine but couldn't see my hard drive on the desktop. He tried again same thing. He reformated the drive. Still failed. So in sum the drive was dying. So its a good time to replace it. Only thing is that i won't be home to help the 'rents set up everything as i will be in school.

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Glad they helped track down the problem. That certainly would explain it failing the disk verify.