Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
this game is too old, very outdated. 10 years? I don't think that Blizzard still supports it? even I just wonder whether it could be running under windows 7. I didn't try it since I am not interested in any blizzard strategy games at all. anyway, good luck.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
I had a bit of nostalgia for the games, because I heard Diablo 3 is (eventually) coming out. Since I used to play it on windows xp, it was only a slight change playing it on my mac. The only major issue was installation. Since I still have the discs, I had to use the emulator to get it to install.

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
I have my D2 cd's, CD key and my LOD CD key but no LOD CD:( I tried finding a download for the CD but had to get a installer because I have a macbook pro (brand new) and it doesn't support the Classic environment. HELP! Does anybody know where I can download the LOD CD sheeeeeze? Or am I really that F-ed and really have to go buy a new set...:rolleyes:

If you have your CD keys, you can point your browser to battle.net and register your CD key if you create an account. Then you can download the latest version of the client.

johnsonkid

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2011
Blizzard has a new feature on Battle.net (http://us.battle.net/) where you can register all your Blizzard games, which then allows you to download and install those games directly from Blizzard without the game CDs. I was able to install Starcraft and Diablo II with the expansion, and they're running fine on my Intel iMac running 10.5.

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2011
Installed Diablo II on my MacBook Pro 10.6.7 Core 2 duo 8 gig ram.

Played the game fine with LOD yesterday and got up to Cain quest online in Act 1 Normal

Got the stony field WD, TP back to town sold my stuff and bought new gear and since I installed the gold Shield, game crashed.

As for now I cannot go back online, when i enter my password i see the char log screen, but before my char appear the game crashes.

Rebooted the MAC but no good.

But I can play offline np.

Dididnt try on my 2nd mac yet buyt anyway

Anyone got a tip?

Thanks

Edit : On my Imac it works #1

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
Manually download the latest patch from Blizzard and it will fix the D2 issues. I had the same problems before installing the latest patch.

lumchan

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2011
Can be bought from Battle.net

Sorry if someone's already said this, but you can actually buy D2 plus expansion when you log onto your battle.net account folks.

Once purchased you can download the mac/pc installer and just run it without any need for CD's (works fine on my MacBook Pro). I just gave up and did this after spending ages trying to make the CD's work.

<--- Happy :D

Mraj01

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2011
Game quits before being able to play

Does anyone know if the game works on 10.6.8 ?
Here on two iMacs, a 20" and a 27", game quits immediately.
Is there something known to conflict with the game ?
Support at Blizzard is given, but not always the same guy in contact over there, they finally tell me to reinstall from the installer from their site, which I did with same results.

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
Does anyone know if the game works on 10.6.8 ?
Here on two iMacs, a 20" and a 27", game quits immediately.
Is there something known to conflict with the game ?
Support at Blizzard is given, but not always the same guy in contact over there, they finally tell me to reinstall from the installer from their site, which I did with same results.

It should work. Diablo II will run under Snow Leopard but if you want to keep it working DO NOT upgrade to Lion. Diablo II is PowerPC so it will not run under 10.7. You need to make sure you use the OS X Native installer front he blizzard site though. It can be found here. Just download the newest patch and install. Don't try to install off the disk.

Also, make sure you hold option when you first start it up. This should bring up a dialogue box that allows you to change your video settings. Change it from OpenGL to software rendering if you're running an older mac.

MolsonExport

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2011
London, Ontario
I still play Diablo 2 often...on my iMac. Never had any hardware related problems, although the internet is sometimes a bit patchy (ethernet issues due to the multiple competing devices).

Think I am going to hack and slash for a half hour or so...:D

Sandman1969

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
You could always run it in vmware,parallels, or vbox. I think I am going to put it on a Parallels setup to run through it again.

Hopefully, D3 will be out before I finish the game.

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
Depends on how long it might take someone to finish ;)

I've had my Diablo 3 Collectors Edition pre-ordered for months. Can't wait to see that e-mail from Amazon saying it has shipped!

I wish I could have gotten the CE. By the time I realized what was in it they were all gone. I'm just hoping gamestop will get a few extras in she I go to get my copy of the game.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
I wish I could have gotten the CE. By the time I realized what was in it they were all gone. I'm just hoping gamestop will get a few extras in she I go to get my copy of the game.

I'm sure they will, they'll be a big sale. I don't even have a computer that can run the game! So silly of me. I was fairly certain my MacBook wouldn't be able to run it and nothing has persuaded me otherwise, but oh well. I hope to have a new computer relatively soon or maybe I can install it on my work computer and just sneak in some playtime after hours.

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
I'm sure they will, they'll be a big sale. I don't even have a computer that can run the game! So silly of me. I was fairly certain my MacBook wouldn't be able to run it and nothing has persuaded me otherwise, but oh well. I hope to have a new computer relatively soon or maybe I can install it on my work computer and just sneak in some playtime after hours.

You have a strong enough processor and enough RAM actually. The integrated GPU would be the only thing holding you back.

Sandman1969

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
Depends on how long it might take someone to finish ;)

I've had my Diablo 3 Collectors Edition pre-ordered for months. Can't wait to see that e-mail from Amazon saying it has shipped!

LoL! With the amount of free time I have for games. Yall better hope D3 is out before I finish!!

I have 3 games for my Xbox I haven't touched since I got them in Nov/Dec.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
You have a strong enough processor and enough RAM actually. The integrated GPU would be the only thing holding you back.

Yeah, I know. My integrated is terrible. If I just waited a few months, I could've had the x3100 revision - which is also awful, but at least technically supported by some somewhat recent non-graphic intensive games.

Oh well. The anticipation will be worth it, I hope. :p Since I'll probably get the game before a new computer.

Sandman1969

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
I just got it running in Parallels.

I had to add a -w to the call to have it run in a window. Need to try to fix that. 640x480 on a 27" isn't not a very good experience!! ;)

dvan5

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2012
is there anyway to play diablo ll on my new macbook pro running OS X Lion

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Virtualization will also work for this game as it is very light. I used it with parallels and it's just great, not a single speed-drop.

Of course, wine/cross-over solution as suggested, is even better but it won't work flawlessly in all systems with the first try. Your best bet is to find a pre-made wrapper and try with it. Stil, though, you might find issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.