Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
Hey MacRumors,

So I want to try out iOS 7 before it ships next week, just so I can decide wether or not ill like it. Once I update on the 18th, I'm there for good, so I figure that the GM period can help me learn what I like/don't like and what I might need to learn to adjust to. With that, I have some questions that hopefully I can have answered.

To make this clear:
• I am NOT a developer.
• I'm on an iPhone 4S, 6.1.2.
• I'm on Windows 7.

My questions (hopefully they can be answered!):
• Can I RESTORE to iOS 7 GM without any problem? I want a clean start on the GM.
• Once I decide to downgrade again, can I downgrade WITHOUT the iTunes beta in DFU mode to 6.1.3?
• Can I restore from my iCloud backup on iOS 7 with my current 6.1.2 backup? Will restoring to it on iOS 7 make my backup incompatible with iOS 6.1.3?

Thanks. :)

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Hey MacRumors,
• Can I RESTORE to iOS 7 GM without any problem? I want a clean start on the GM.
• Once I decide to downgrade again, can I downgrade WITHOUT the iTunes beta in DFU mode to 6.1.3?
• Can I restore from my iCloud backup on iOS 7 with my current 6.1.2 backup? Will restoring to it on iOS 7 make my backup incompatible with iOS 6.1.3?

Windows 7 user here, too and these answers are for Windows.
1. Yes. If you change your mind the only way to put your data back on is an iCloud restore.
Edit: Wrong information. Changed my answer to #2. No. I hope I'm not wrong again.
3. Yes. Once iOS 7 has backed up to iCloud that backup will no longer restore to iOS 6. Someone mentioned that iCloud had an iOS 7 backup in addition to the iOS 6 backup (or maybe it was a versioning thing). I would plan on it not being available. :)

Good luck!

Last edited:

JohnnyW2001

Suspended
Nov 6, 2012
Hey MacRumors,

Thanks. :)

1. Yes.
2. No. The latest version of iTunes for Windows will not recognize an iPhone with iOS7 GM installed. There is no Beta version available, either. (It should be fine after the 18th.)
3. iOS 6 to iOS 7 is fine. iOS 7 to iOS 6 will not work.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
1. Yes.
2. No. The latest version of iTunes for Windows will not recognize an iPhone with iOS7 GM installed. There is no Beta version available, either. (It should be fine after the 18th.)

I should rethink my answer #2. A coworker had an error 9 and the phone thought it was iOS 7 but he was able to restore it to iOS 6. But when I stop to think about it I believe my answer was wrong. :eek:

Disregard my #2 and I'll agree with JohnnyW2001.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
Windows 7 user here, too and these answers are for Windows.
1. Yes. If you change your mind the only way to put your data back on is an iCloud restore.
2. Yes.
3. Yes. Once iOS 7 has backed up to iCloud that backup will no longer restore to iOS 6. Someone mentioned that iCloud had an iOS 7 backup in addition to the iOS 6 backup (or maybe it was a versioning thing). I would plan on it not being available. :)

Good luck!
Perfect, I didn't bother with iTunes for my backups anyway. I will this time though :p also, once iOS 7 restores from my iOS 6 backup, can't I just turn off backups so that my iOS 6 one remains? Or will restoring from my 6 backup on 7 automatically make it incompatible with 6?

Thank you for your response. :)

1. Yes.

Uh oh, you have a different answer from above on question 2. So even if my 4S is in DFU mode, it can't be recognized? Because it's on iOS 7?

Thanks for your response. :)

EDIT: @PNutts got it! So once I'm on 7, I can't go back to 6 since I don't have iTunes 11.1, correct?

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
I apologize for the confusion I caused.

You can put an iOS 7 phone in DFU mode to restore it. Your original question was without using DFU and that's why my answer was incorrect.

Restoring does not change the backup. That happens when iOS 7 writes to the backup. I turned off my iCloud backup it remains at iOS 6. I'm going to give it a day or two. ;) I also copied my iOS 6 iTunes backup to my NAS so if something happens to it I'll have a backup copy of my backup. :D

DISCLAIMER: I put my iOS 7 phone in DFU and confirmed iTunes would see it and prompt me to restore it. I didn't click the restore button to see the process to completion. "No, not the wed button!"

VirusOverride

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
At first I have had no problem with getting my iphone 5 to sync with itunes. what I did instead of shift clicking restore. I shift clicked update and that just update the phone software and kept all my setting and apps. I was then able to sync with itunes fine but I restored from my backup anyways and that is when it told me I need itunes 11.1. I do not know if doing update instead of restore will continue to work when you disconnect the phone an reconnect it.

lyricthejoe

Cancelled
Dec 7, 2011
I am also not a developer and installed iOS 7 GM on my 4S just a few minutes ago using a Windows 7 PC.

I did not do a fresh install - I chose the "SHIFT+Check For Update" option. I ran into an error message from iTunes stating that I would be unable to use my iPhone because the update requires me to have done so using iTunes 11.1 or later, which is apparently only available for Macs.

The iPhone DID update to GM - but at the top left corner, it kept saying NO SERVICE. Eventually, the phone activated and I now have service. It did that on its own, and I'm not totally sure why.

I should also probably note that this is a *Verizon* iPhone 4S, and I was updating the ipsw from beta 6 to GM, and not from 6.+.

Good luck in your ventures - - - :confused::apple:

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
I am not a developer and I just update to the GM from beta 6 and it worked great. I am on iTunes 11.0.5 and after it updated successfully it said I needed iTunes 11.1 to sync. So make sure before you update to the iOS GM all your info is synced to your device. Then sometime before or on Sept 18 iTunes 11.1 will be released and you can sync again. I did this with my iPhone and iPod Touch 5G.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
I apologize for the confusion I caused.

You can put an iOS 7 phone in DFU mode to restore it. Your original question was without using DFU and that's why my answer was incorrect.

Restoring does not change the backup. That happens when iOS 7 writes to the backup. I turned off my iCloud backup it remains at iOS 6. I'm going to give it a day or two. ;) I also copied my iOS 6 iTunes backup to my NAS so if something happens to it I'll have a backup copy of my backup. :D

DISCLAIMER: I put my iOS 7 phone in DFU and confirmed iTunes would see it and prompt me to restore it. I didn't click the restore button to see the process to completion. "No, not the wed button!"

It's okay! Thank you for the help. Now I know what I'll be getting into if I go to iOS 7. :)

Also, how did you backup your iTunes backup? I've been wondering that. Lol.

At first I have had no problem with getting my iphone 5 to sync with itunes. what I did instead of shift clicking restore. I shift clicked update and that just update the phone software and kept all my setting and apps. I was then able to sync with itunes fine but I restored from my backup anyways and that is when it told me I need itunes 11.1. I do not know if doing update instead of restore will continue to work when you disconnect the phone an reconnect it.

Id rather shift+restore so I can get maximum performance. Decisions, decisions :p thanks for the response. :)
I am also not a developer and installed iOS 7 GM on my 4S just a few minutes ago using a Windows 7 PC.

I did not do a fresh install - I chose the "SHIFT+Check For Update" option. I ran into an error message from iTunes stating that I would be unable to use my iPhone because the update requires me to have done so using iTunes 11.1 or later, which is apparently only available for Macs.

The iPhone DID update to GM - but at the top left corner, it kept saying NO SERVICE. Eventually, the phone activated and I now have service. It did that on its own, and I'm not totally sure why.

I should also probably note that this is a *Verizon* iPhone 4S, and I was updating the ipsw from beta 6 to GM, and not from 6.+.

Good luck in your ventures - - - :confused::apple:

Thanks for the response. :)

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Also, how did you backup your iTunes backup? I've been wondering that. Lol.

Unless you changed their location, they are here. There is simply a folder that contains a zillion files. Look for a folder who's name is the UDID of your device. Copy that entire folder somewhere else and iTunes can't touch it. If you need it, copy it back overwriting what's there.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
Unless you changed their location, they are here. There is simply a folder that contains a zillion files. Look for a folder who's name is the UDID of your device. Copy that entire folder somewhere else and iTunes can't touch it. If you need it, copy it back overwriting what's there.

Thanks! I remember trying this but it would take about 3 hours to transfer...

darkfiber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Columbus, OH USA
I am a little confused by this so I want to clarify before I do this. That or I will just wait until the 18th.

I have an iPhone 4S (64GB) running 6.1.3. I am using Windows 7 with iTunes 11.0.5.5. I have the ipsw file for the iOS 7.0 GM for my 4S. In iTunes 11.0.5.5, if I hold down the shift key and press "Check for Update" and then select the ipsw file will it update my 4S to 7.0 and keep all my apps, settings and music? Because I understand if it does not then iTunes 11.0.5.5 won't be able to sync. If I can just update without syncing that would be fine, otherwise I guess I will just wait until the 18th.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I am a little confused by this so I want to clarify before I do this. That or I will just wait until the 18th.

I have an iPhone 4S (64GB) running 6.1.3. I am using Windows 7 with iTunes 11.0.5.5. I have the ipsw file for the iOS 7.0 GM for my 4S. In iTunes 11.0.5.5, if I hold down the shift key and press "Check for Update" and then select the ipsw file will it update my 4S to 7.0 and keep all my apps, settings and music? Because I understand if it does not then iTunes 11.0.5.5 won't be able to sync. If I can just update without syncing that would be fine, otherwise I guess I will just wait until the 18th.

You are no longer confused.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
Everyone one has different valid opinions so I'll just casually mention that a clean install isn't necessary. Many people will simply update to this GM next week.

----------

Yes, it could be up to 64 GB. And to think some people wanted 128 GB. :p

Well, mine can't be over 16 since I have a 16 GB phone :p

I think I'll just save the hassle of going through the GM I suppose.

The Rain Man

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2013
I'm also worried over the fact that after updating to iOS7 GM, I'm unable to use phone with iTunes right now. After reading the forums, I guess there's really no workaround this and the only thing to do is to wait till the 18th?

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
I'm also worried over the fact that after updating to iOS7 GM, I'm unable to use phone with iTunes right now. After reading the forums, I guess there's really no workaround this and the only thing to do is to wait till the 18th?

After going to the GM, the only way to get iTunes to recognize the phone is to put it into DFU mode, then downgrade to iOS 6.

The Rain Man

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2013
After going to the GM, the only way to get iTunes to recognize the phone is to put it into DFU mode, then downgrade to iOS 6.

Do you think it would be advisable downgrade and restore back to iOS7 beta 6 or to just wait for the public release. I'm really afraid if my the software somehow crashes, I would have no way to backup my files using the current iTunes.

Also, if I were to wait for the public release of iTunes 11.1 along with iOS7, would I have any problems trying to upgrade my phone software if I'm currently using iOS7 GM? Sorry for the barrage of questions, I just feel really insecure right now that I am unable to do any backups or even connect the phone to iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.