Installing New Hard Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Casey01, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Casey01 macrumors member

I've done some research on my 2007 MPB and it turns out I have to really take it apart just to install a new Hard Drive. My question is, is it worth doing it by myself?(Is it easy enough to do it by myself?) Because there's a local company that has a guy who knows how to upgrade apple computers and notebooks but it'll cost $75 for him to put in the new HDD which I think is way to damn much.

So is it safe(as in I have small chance of breaking the MBP) to take apart?
    Is it easy to take it apart?
    Or is it worth the money to have someone else do it?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

How adept and methodical are you at breaking stuff down and putting them back together again? Is your MBP in this list?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yep. It's this one. Hard drive replacement instructions here.

4. Casey01 thread starter macrumors member

Oh wow that was fast! Thank you guys so much! I'm loving this community more and more each time I come here! :D

5. dime21 macrumors 6502

If you are comfortable working with very small parts, and have the correct tools, then yes, you can do it yourself.

If you are not comfortable or experienced or have the proper tools, then pay a professional. $75 is nothing. IF you screw it up and break some internal part, it could cost you a lot more than $75 to fix your clumsy mistake.

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'd just go ahead and do it. It's not quite as easy as it is with the newer models, but it's definitely doable, and is even designated as a user-replaceable part by apple. I would check out the guide on ifixit.com and save yourself the $75

7. jsilas macrumors regular

I can't say for sure as I've not worked on a 2007 MBP, but I just installed a new hard drive in my mid'10 MBP and it only took about 20 minutes. If you're reasonably capable with small parts and have a set of precision screwdrivers, I think you'll be just fine.

8. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

9. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

MacBook is very easy. New MacBook Pro is also very easy; it is a bit more work because there are more screws, but it isn't difficult at all. The old MacBook Pro is a pain. I have swapped lots of parts on Macs and other products, but the 2007 MBP is difficult.

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

This part can't be emphasized enough. When dealing with small screws, it is very important to have a good set of appropriately sized drivers. Using the wrong sized (or poorly made) driver can turn an otherwise easy operation into an expensive nightmare. Cheap tools can be very costly. :D

11. darfel macrumors member

I can't agree enough...I just ordered a set of tools from iFixit so I can upgrade the drive on my MBP.

12. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Absolutely. I have a tool kit from OWC - worth getting one if you are buying RAM or hard drive