Installing "official" iOS4 after installing "GM"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wolfpackfan, Jun 21, 2010.

1. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

I have GM installed, but would like to install the "official" release today. I tried to do a restore this morning to my old version, but iTunes wouldn't let me do it (can't remember the error message). How do we go about getting GM off and official on (please no I told you so lectures)?

2. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

There's a good chance that the version released to the public today will be the same version as the GM candidate. If it is a different version there is no reason to restore back to 3.1.3 just to install 4.0, just update it from the version you have installed now.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Wait until 4.0 is out and then do the restore.

4. wolfpackfan thread starter macrumors 68000

5. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

Im in the same boat and wondering if i can update to the 4.0 release version from the GM. If we do a restore wont it just pick up your 4.0 GM file ? or will we have to delete that first from the computer ?

6. markab macrumors regular

The GM from this time last year was the same as the public release version.

7. wolfpackfan thread starter macrumors 68000

Maybe my problem this morning was I deleted that GM file. When I did a check for update, it said I was on the current version (4.0).

It's probably no problem and no need to even update to the "official". But I just wanted to make sure before I copied a bunch of mp3's to my iPhone.

8. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

The GM is the official release. Just like 3.0 last year. GM=Gold Master

9. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

I used 3.0 GM last year and when the public update came out my iTunes asked me to update so I did. No changes happened, but it updated itself again to 3.0 I guess to get it in line with the current update cycle on iTunes. You don't need to do anything 4.0 GM will probably "update" it self to public 4.0.

10. InsiderApps macrumors member

The GM seed is not a beta, it is the final release candidate and therefore the same build. You do not need to update until the next version of iOS is released (Likely 4.0.1).

11. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Release candidate is not always the final release version. If the version that was released to developers at WWDC was definitely the final version it would have been simply referred as "GM" and not "GM Candidate". Most likely the version of iOS 4.0 released today will be the same build, but it is not guaranteed.

12. Cupra macrumors regular

it cant be the final release i have the GM and its still buggy, they cant release that to every one!

13. jbennardo macrumors 6502a

jbennardo

It's pretty much complete but I did notice a bug. I tried to delete a batch of pics from the camera roll. I managed to select and delete them all but the little thumbnails were replaced with black boxes. I then had to repeat the process and delete the little black boxes.

I thought about submitting a bug report but bailed. I think I filled out less forms when I bought my house. :p

14. CarsonGallo macrumors member

CarsonGallo

Updating

So wait if you have iOS 4 GD installed you don;t have to downgrade to iOS 3.1 to update to the official iOS 4? when its released later today.

15. Cupra macrumors regular

We dont know yet thats what this thread is about...

16. CarsonGallo macrumors member

CarsonGallo

Opinion

I was asking for everyones opinion on what they think I would have to do, obviously no one knows for sure, but based on what happened last year what do you guys think we'll have to do this year.

17. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Well once iOS 4.0 is released, Apple will stop signing version 3.1.3. So unless you stored your SHSH blobs for a version previous to 4.0 (and have an iPhone 3GS, 3G does not require iOS versions to be signed by Apple), you will not be able to restore to 3.1.3 or earlier.

18. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Previous iPhone betas that I have participated in I simply installed the final release version of the OS on my iPhone without restoring to a previous version. The restore process wipes out everything, so it doesn't matter which OS version is currently installed.

19. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

The GM SEED is NOT a "candidate" nor is it a "release candidate". It is the Gold Master. Look that up people.

It's the same build that will be on your phones soon.

If some of you were paying members you would know that.

20. pmz macrumors 68000

If you think the GM that we currently have is going to be the same exact version, line of code for line of code, that hits the public today, you have no idea how software development works, whatsoever.

Everyone with the GMRC should do a full restore, no backup, to the public 4.0, through iTunes, once it is out.

21. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Then why did Apple call it "Gold Master candidate" when they released it at WWDC? Why not just call it the Gold Master?

22. pmz macrumors 68000

This doesn't mean anything. Apple does not stop fixing major bugs and issues just because developers have a private "final" version that is good enough to test 4.0 apps on.

Have you even used 4.0 GM rc? its not releasable to the public.

Use a handful of apps and go check your available memory info (because I'm sure you know how). Go see the 5 mb of memory (aka disasterous, unreleasable memory hole) that you have available, after a few apps have been used. After a dozen apps have been used, the 3GS can't even load the home screen without stuttering because there isn't enough memory left.

You think that is what Apple is about to release? LOL~

23. pugnut macrumors 6502a

Really? Any changes to the base needs to be distributed to the developers to ensure that there are no issues. That is the entire concept of a Beta. The GM that you will receive tonight will have the same build number, that is what drive the system to trigger to update.

Unless prompted in iTunes there is no need to futz around with anything. As a regisetered developer I have never seen apple release code that was not delivered int he final seed.

24. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Please link to where Apple called it a "candidate".

On the developer page it tells me it is the GM SEED. Period.

And yes. I know how software development works.

25. jayenh macrumors 6502

same happens if you delete the photos by browsing on to the DCIM folder on your computer. i was doing this on a windows 7 pc. photos gone but black boxes were there instead. i rebooted the phone to clear them.