Installing RAM Help

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by combat, Dec 14, 2009.

1. combat macrumors member

combat

I now how to do it, and where it's located. However people have scared me about the new RAM not reading or just plain killing it.... Because I only have 1GB and running Final Cut along side any Adobe software is literally causing so many slowdowns... Does anyone have any tips on how to install RAM on a Macbook.

And a side question, whose the best provider? I've checked out Crucial because Apple's overpriced RAM should probably be gold plated for their prices...

2. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

Crucial is the only ram I would get, and I did get 4GB crucial ram. Easy install, just install the new ram in the same position as the old ram. Had not a single problem with it since I installed it. Only cost me $77 +$3 for shipping off amazon.

3. milton.sheaf macrumors regular

Crucial is awesome. Plus their customer service is based here in the US, not in India or China or somewhere else. A+++ for Crucial.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I'd say Crucial or OWC as my two top choices at the moment. I've bought my last couple through OWC, but last week bought a Crucial 8GB kit through Amazon. They beat OWC's price, and I could the store card. Otherwise, I was pretty neutral as to which brand.

As far as installation, the guide in the user's manual should be sufficient. Just take it slow - use the correct tools, and proper static control methods (ground yourself on case and hold the SODIMMS only by the side edges).

5. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Agreed with this, Installed RAM in my Macbook and it's been perfect. Had no problems.

6. combat thread starter macrumors member

combat

7. Lord Taco macrumors newbie

I bought 4 gigs of crucial for my macbook white, which had 1 gb. Works like a dream. I took the RAM out of the box, popped open the memory slots, and closed it up. Good price too. Officially, your macbook can support 2 gigs of ram, but it really can support 3 and a third. I personally need that 1.3 gigs, but if you don't, get 2gb. http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=AE706D07A5CA7304

8. combat thread starter macrumors member

combat

Thanks for the info, I can't afford the 100$ for 4GB, I really only need 2GB being a student. Out of curiosity, which would theoretically run faster or be better for the macbook, a single 2GB piece or 2x1GB modules?

9. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

2x1GB will be marginally faster (5-10% or so) because it'll enable the DDR RAM to run in dual-channel mode.

10. combat thread starter macrumors member

combat

That's what I suspected, but thanks for the clarification.