Installing unibody RAM yourself

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Archandy, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Archandy macrumors newbie

1. Does this void your 1 year waranty and/or applecare?

2. I did this myself with my '07 MBP with ease. Is this as easy with the unibody?

I am ordering the basic 2.4 MBP and if I want 4GB, which I do, I must wait an extra 10 days for it to configured in China. I cant wait that long so would prefer to do it myself.

Thanks

Andy

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

1. No. Apple will just not support the RAM you installed, that's all, but you still have your warranty.
    2. A bit easy as you have to open the bottom case to access the RAM.
    3. Then do it yourself. Either way is fine. Right now RAM prices are cheapening for DDR3 1066MHz (3rd party RAM that is, Apple RAM prices stays the same)

3. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

It's very easy to do and should take you less than 10 minutes.

Keep your old ram as sometimes apple doesn't like 3rd party stuff installed when you take it in for a problem they can blame it on ram. They tried to pull that with a 3 year old powerbook I had that had 2 weeks left on applecare.

I gently explained that I had installed that ram the week that I got the powerbook and I had used it 12 hours a day almost every day since getting it and I was 100% sure the ram wasn't the issue.

They let it slide.

4. polaris20 macrumors 68020

Be very careful unscrewing the screws though. Mine were in there so tight that I nearly stripped one, so I took it the Apple Store and made them do it, and they ended up stripping them, and replaced the screws. My hard drive screws were the same way.

I don't know if they're all like this or not, but it seems the screws in all the "user replaceable part" areas were extraordinarily tight, in comparison to other notebooks I've worked on (Dell, HP, Lenovo).