Installing Vertex 3 in 2011 MBP...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SpitUK, Apr 11, 2011.

1. SpitUK macrumors 6502

Do you recommend resetting the PRAM? Any other tweaks?

I will be installing 8gb at the same time.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I would do a PRAM and SMC reset just to start from default, but many users report success without doing either.

3. technopimp macrumors 6502a

I'm having problems with a Vertex 3 on my 2011 MBP...I'm going to do a reinstall. Are you supposed to install and then do a PRAM/SMC reset, or do those before the install?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Do the resets before install.

5. Hackintosh Sr. macrumors regular

My advice - don't enable trim. I got nothing but beachballs until I disabled it.

6. technopimp macrumors 6502a

Thanks...since I already have a working installation, would it be best to boot from the OS DVD, wipe the drive, then do the resets? Otherwise it'll reboot into the "working" installation (wasn't sure if that was a big deal or not).

(Sorry, never done this stuff before on a MBP)

7. SpitUK thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi Hackintosh Sr. I ordered the 1600Mhz Kingston RAM to go with the Vertex 3. Is yours still performing well?

So from the previous posts you take out the HDD and Memory then do the resets?

8. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Doesn't the 2011 MBP use 1333Mhz?

9. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

That is interesting. I wonder if anyone else on the forum can confirm this behavior. When I installed my Micron C400, I enabled TRIM right away. I get some beach balls but not sure if I want to test the alternative.

10. DarkFlame macrumors regular

It does take 1333mhz, idk what he is talking about.

I am one of the people having success without resetting anything. No trim either - I've yet to get a beachball.

Should I reset these just in case? Is there is a chance it'd work any better than it already it is

11. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It won't matter. Just do the resets and you can boot back to the working drive.

13. SpitUK thread starter macrumors 6502

Slower?

14. the_fellowship macrumors regular

If it ain't broke...

I recently installed the Vertex 3 240GB SSD into my 2011 MBP 13" without resetting anything and have not encountered any problems..yet *touch wood*

15. Pandir macrumors newbie

Pandir

16. technopimp macrumors 6502a

Sigh...so I did the SMC and PRAM resets, and then went to reinstall Snow Leopard. I erased the SSD and began the install. It sat on "23 minutes remaining" for a while, and then suddenly went to a gray screen and came up with an error log saying that OS X could not be installed. The only error I could see that made any sort of sense was "no system packages found" and then 'failed to enumerate /Volumes/<Volume>/Library/caches, cannot prune("com.apple.user*pictureCache*").

So at this point I'm guessing the issue is one of 3 things:

1) My SSD is bad
    2) the MacBook Pro itself is bad
    3) the DVD and/or DVD drive is bad (it does seem to act flaky, sometimes after coming out of sleep an inserted DVD doesn't show up in Finder anymore, etc.)

I guess I'll put the OEM hard drive back in and see what happens, although I don't know if that really tells me if the SSD is bad or not.

17. mercman macrumors newbie

I recently installed the Vertex 3 240GB in my 2011 MacBook Pro 17". I changed out the hard drive cable and purchased a replacement from iFixit.

The drive has worked perfectly from day 1. No resetting anything. Recognized at 6Gb/s from 1st boot up.

18. Hackintosh Sr. macrumors regular

Yep running Nicely!!! I did a PRAM after and resets after.

19. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    did you replace the sata hdd cable?

20. DarkFlame macrumors regular

I have no issues, but should I do these resets too? I have no idea what they are or what their purpose is, can anyone fill me in?

21. Hackintosh Sr. macrumors regular

I didn't replace my hdd cable. I would try it out without replacing first.

22. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Nearly no point with sandforce drives anyway.

23. technopimp macrumors 6502a

Well all the people who have successfully gotten Vertex 3's working in their 2011 MBPs must be a lot luckier than me. I returned my first one this afternoon and just tried installing the V3 on MBP #2...same result. Can't complete the installation-just dies with various errors. Did PRAM and SMC resets...nothing. I guess they just do not like these SATA3 SSDs. Oh well. Of course what sucks is since I bought from Newegg I can't just return it.

24. mediasorcerer macrumors regular

do u know that you should only format your ssd with single pass overwrite?,try starting up from install disc[osx etc] first thing is to open disc utility and reformat and create single partition,i erased my ocz twice before installing with single pass overwrite,had no problems,