Installing Yosemite on my pc without a mac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Finn61, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Finn61 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I want to dual boot my i7 4770k +gtx 780 system with win 7 and yosemite, mainly because yosemite is the best looking OS i've ever seen and I like it's functionality. However, I don't have access to a mac, is there a way to install it on my pc? Thanks.

2. zas macrumors member

3. Finn61 thread starter macrumors newbie

How should I go about doing it, sorry if you thought I was asking for a crack (moderator) but yosemite is free anyways.

4. rainydays macrumors 6502a

Just because it's free doesn't mean it's legal to install on your computer.

Anyhow, you need to carefully choose your components in order to be able to install MacOS on custom build. You can't just install it on whatever PC.
    Chances are very small that it will work on your system.

5. Finn61 thread starter macrumors newbie

May I ask why, I have an intel processor and nvidia GPU with samsung SSD, I've seen it work on other system, and why is it illegal, it's based on linux which is open source...

6. Andune macrumors member

1. OS X isn't based on Linux and isn't open source, look up Unix to see how they relate to each other.

2. Apples software license for Yosemite doesn't allow it:

7. Finn61 thread starter macrumors newbie

Other people do it though? My computer is more than capable than any iMac or Macbook pro, it can run it I just don't know how to install it without the use of a mac

8. 5iMacs macrumors regular

take a hint

I am pretty sure this post is not in the right forum, or even the right website.

9. Garrod macrumors regular

Garrod

You're really posting in the wrong place for this sort of question mate. Do a search; there are plenty of 'Hackintosh' sites that will offer you decent advice.

Also, what part didn't you understand from a previous post about the components? Just having a an i7 processor, nVidia GPU and a Samsung SSD isn't enough - have you bothered taking into consideration what other hardware you have? What motherboard do you have etc. etc.? As a previous post said; the chances are you won't be able to do it - most people that attempt such things have custom builds with all of the hardware carefully chosen for compatibility.

10. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

^this. You need to spend some considerable time researching. All your components need to be OS X compatible.

11. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Good grief.

Delicious cinnamon crullers are free at the local country club. It doesn't mean anyone can sneak in and take one.

Glad you like the look and feel of Yosemite. It is, indeed, marvelous. But one of the reasons it works so well is that it is designed for specific hardware/software configurations that include proprietary technologies developed at great cost and unique to the Apple ecosystem. If you're not a Mac owner, you don't get the cinnamon crullers.

12. ichii macrumors 6502a

ichii

Can't get the milk for free if you don't own a cow :confused: I have installed OS X on my PC before trust me you need specific hardware. Also it's not the same as using a real Mac there's usually issues with updates that mess up your Hackingtosh. If like OS X I would suggest buying one.

13. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Yeah, had one of those conversations recently. Funny how some think that they can just take some drivers from Unix and Linux systems and patch OS X to run on a PC using those drivers.

14. old-wiz macrumors G3

Sort of like taking an engine from a hybrid like the Prius and installing it on a VW.

It is really important to have components that work with OSx; cpu is the least of the worries; it is more the chipset and motherboard and I/O connections that cause problems. If you take a system you buy off the shelf and try to install OSx on it, it will be a frustrating job trying to find a way to make OSx run on a chipset it's not designed for. Plus when you upgrade OSx, even a simple like 10.9.4 to 10.9.5 can break the Hackintosh.

The hackintosh websites are full of info, you will have more luck there.

15. Finn61 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh I see, but in terms of compatibility I have an asus hero v1 mobo

16. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Alright, bottom line, Hackintoshing is not ethically right. You're violating the Apple SLAs.

And Hackintoshing is more trouble than it's worth.

17. Garrod macrumors regular

Garrod

*sigh*

Just search yourself; you can't really expect many people here to go and do all the hard work for you.

18. Finn61 thread starter macrumors newbie

19. Applefanboy10 macrumors newbie

What type of platform you planning to purchase a Mac mini riMac Mac Pro rMBP or rMBA or non retina displays.

20. Ray2 macrumors 6502a

If you have to ask the question, don't do it.

A Hackintosh is not an easy install, nor an easy life thereafter. Judging by your question, forget about it.

21. old-wiz macrumors G3

Right.

The best way to go Hackintosh is to build your own system, carefully picking parts as listed on the hackintosh sites and then be prepared for some serious debugging to get it to work. Do you know and understand how to modify a Kext? If you don't forget a Hackintosh. Even after you get it built and running you can still have some things that won't work, and system updates can break it.

22. dashpuppy macrumors member

Agree :) If he doesn't know how to use google, and click a link to even get to the right page, then i doubt his skill set will help him in a Hackintosh.

You don't just buy a pc, and install osx on it, doesn't work that way. Hand picked parts, even after that it's hard to get the basics working IE sound & video & ethernet.

23. AlexxRyzhkov macrumors regular

Last time I checked, most asus mobos work pretty well with OSX after some tweaks. Also hackintosh is a lot easier than most people think. Hell, my $250 hackintosh runs OSX almost as well as my 2011 Mac Mini.
    However, you do need a Mac to install OSX on another PC, since you need to download OSX from the App Store

I suggest you go to TonyMacx86's website and do a bit of research

24. rainydays macrumors 6502a

Well, since a hackintosh isn't exactly legal in the first place, you might as well look for the OS from less official channels. :)

25. ChrisA macrumors G4

You keep arguing that it will work. It MIGHT. The proof is when it boots and runs.

Likely you might have to swap out a graphic card or network card as only a very few are supported. A computer is MORE than just the CPU and RAM. There are USB controllers, video, networking WiFi, boot ROMS and so on.

One good way to make this work is to NOT use your PC hardware. First get VMware and make a virtual PC and then install Mac OX X on the virtual hardware. Well, that is one more option.

I'll wait and see what you say. Try it and report back.

One more thing: Why dual boot. I never see the point. If you want Mac OS then run it full time. For the few Windows maps you must use run this in a virtual machine.