Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krayziekray

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Which instant messaging client on the iPhone supports the ability to receive IM's even when i have closed the app.

I know BeejiveIM has the ability to do this, but is there any others that support this? Currently i am using Palringo, and though this does take messages after i close the app, it doesn't notify me of them until i open the app again.

As always, help is appriciated :rolleyes:

Cheers.

:apple: KrayzieKray :apple:

pkagel

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2008
SoCal ExPat
Not that I have a direct answer to your question but if you set up Yahoo IM correctly it will send all your IM's to your SMS when you log off your computer. This is kinda nice so that you can seamlessly go from your computer to the iPhone when you leave the house.

krayziekray

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Not that I have a direct answer to your question but if you set up Yahoo IM correctly it will send all your IM's to your SMS when you log off your computer. This is kinda nice so that you can seamlessly go from your computer to the iPhone when you leave the house.

Is this possible to do with MSN accounts? But then again, this wont allow me to IM back will it?

Anyone else have any ideas?

truz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2006
Florida
jailbreak has a background runner app. Allows you to keep apps running in the background. However it drains your battery bad.

krayziekray

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
jailbreak has a background runner app. Allows you to keep apps running in the background. However it drains your battery bad.

LOL, yeah ... i have tried that after i jailbroke my phone, noticed battery life going down to a couple of hours so decided to chuck my phone back in jail.

Ademius

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
Just wait for Apple Push Notification Service, which will make this possible by setting up a server that pushes the updates to the iphone by receiving them from a 3rd party server.

[Apple server] <- [3rd Party Server]

v

[Your iPhone running IM app]

If it's not in 2.2, I'm sure it will come in 2.3

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
Just wait for Apple Push Notification Service, which will make this possible by setting up a server that pushes the updates to the iphone by receiving them from a 3rd party server.

[Apple server] <- [3rd Party Server]

v

[Your iPhone running IM app]

If it's not in 2.2, I'm sure it will come in 2.3

oh you mean keep waiting forever?

Ademius

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
It's better than nothing..

But I'd rather have Apple get it right the first time than repeating the mobile me/2.0 fiasco.

Ademius

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
I think they are hoping we just forget they ever mentioned it.

Maybe they shouldn't have mentioned it, but just make it available whenever it was ready.

But I really think they have to release it, or else they have a pretty bad situation not allowing backround apps and not pursuing push notifications. I'm sure it will come eventually, even if it takes 'ages' :(

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
they dont even know what they're doing.

I hate to jump on the band wagon about this, but the above statement is absolutely true.

Apple as much as admitted that they didn't really understand the technology properly when they tried to do this.

Which makes it likely that it won't be until the launch of the next iPhone next year before they make another go at it.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
IM+, BeeJive, and MobileChat are the only ones that keep you logged on when you quit the application and notify you.

Palringo doesn't notify you (they don't want to spend all the time implementing the notifications...just to have Apple come out with push...so they're waiting) but keeps you on.

And that's pretty much all the instant messengers there are (WebMessenger and Fring sign you out, I believe).

daisuke07

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2008
IM+, BeeJive, and MobileChat are the only ones that keep you logged on when you quit the application and notify you.

Palringo doesn't notify you (they don't want to spend all the time implementing the notifications...just to have Apple come out with push...so they're waiting) but keeps you on.

And that's pretty much all the instant messengers there are (WebMessenger and Fring sign you out, I believe).

i thoight beejive is the only one that did that

pkagel

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2008
SoCal ExPat
Dunno about MSN but on Yahoo I can IM back to them just like I was at the computer. It's best to do with unlimited texting of course.

Is this possible to do with MSN accounts? But then again, this wont allow me to IM back will it?

Anyone else have any ideas?

greggov

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2008

Thats assuming you can log in to Mobile Chat. :p

Bought Beejive, and never looked back. Probably one of my favorite apps, and within the top 3 of my most used. I really like the way that Beejive has their notifications set up.

heaven

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
BeeJive is defiantly the best instant messaging app out there for the iPhone so far...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.