Insults via PM, let it slide or shall I report it?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by spinnerlys, May 13, 2010.

1. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Hello.

To begin my whining, I was just insulted via PM, which is no big deal, as I'm adult enough to see beyond that kind of behaviour. And it's kinda funny, not the insult per se, but I just don't get it as I don't know what the sender is referring to.

The rules state the following, which isn't that clear:

Insults.
    Direct personal insult of another member, i.e., "You are an idiot." and all the variations. Why? Because this isn't grade school. People should be able to discuss or even dispute other's posts without insulting people. And the only purpose of a post like this is to incite other people. You may dispute somebody's opinion, but not attack/flame the person who stated it. There are a lot of other non-direct-personal insults that won't necessary get you banned instantly, but depending on the context/nature may lead to post editing, post deletion, warnings, or time-outs. They include telling people to shut up, or being extremely or repeatedly rude or sarcastic. Bottom line -- don't try to tick off others. Although we do not read Private Messages sent between forum members, the rules for appropriate and inappropriate content apply to them as well.

from http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules#Instantly_Bannable_Offenses

Should I contact a mod about such issues, even though the member is here longer than me and should know better?

I'm kinda confused, as in my fifteen years on the world wild wet, I have never gotten any insults, even though I'm sometimes a sarcastic prick.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I would have reported it but really don't think you needed to make a thread on this as it should be a personal call

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It's really up to you. If you think the mods need to do something, then yes, report it. Since you posted this, I guess the person can see the post, so IF they chose to apologize I wouldn't. Or you could report them anyway. Like I said, it's up to you.

4. spinnerlys thread starter Guest

spinnerlys

Thanks, I'm just new to that and maybe need some kind of affirmation.

Or attention, I don't know.

Okay, so if I report it, what will happen then? I would really get an answer of this fella who sent my a cryptic message, for which I might have lowered the chances by making this thread anyway.

Is it okay, if I wait a day?

I'm sorry if that sounds kinda childish, but I'm kinda new to this and to be honest, it's exciting (using Simon Pegg's interpretation of Montgomery S.).

And I'm kinda tipsy.

Off I go.

Or not.

I'm not after an apology anyway, and like it was worded, there won't be any.

I'm not mad at this member either. Ah, bollocks.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I would just ignore it if its an aberration. If it happens more than once, then report it.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I thought PMs had a report button like normal posts. :confused:

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Mine don't.

8. spinnerlys thread starter Guest

spinnerlys

It may just be an aberration. Thanks.

I don't see one.

Btw, why does the SAVE button in EDIT mode sometimes say VOTE, even if there is no poll?

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

FYI, I don't see a problem with you making this thread. That's what we're here for, right?

Or you could PM us all. :D

N00b! That's explained in the FAQ. I wish I had your links right now. :D

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That's an ancient problem. I believe it only happens in Safari.

11. spinnerlys thread starter Guest

spinnerlys

Thanks, like the SPOILER button on another forum (with the same software), it only shows once per visit, doesn't matter if I reload the page, I have to open a new tab to make another spoiler button work. But that is Safari for you (or me in that case).

12. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I'd put it in my personal Hall of Fame... if it's good enough :p

13. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

So, what are you going to do? Or are you going to sleep on it?

14. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

If you a rule is violated via PM you're free to report it by forwarding the offending PM on to a mod or submitting a Contact form to the administrators. Not sure you can click the report PM button persay as I don't believe one exists for PM's.

15. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You can't click report for PM's. Doesn't exist. Forwarding is the best way.

SP, when you say forward to a mod, who? I'd think Doctor Q (not a mod) would be the one, so he can decide who to give it to.

16. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I mean a mod on up. Doesn't matter who. Or use the Contact Us form.

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Really? I get a nasty message a week. I figure this was a feature of the site.

18. spinnerlys thread starter Guest

spinnerlys

I think I'm going to not report. It wasn't harmful in any way, it started some conversation here and I hope I get an answer from that member.
    I can't say anything about Darmstadt, but Frankfurt was kinda strange with its many one-way streets and expensive small flats but nice Italian takeout, which would chop an extra garlic clove or two upon receiving criticism due to the almost no garlic on my pizza.

Thanks for confirmation, but after some thought, I let it slide, unless it occurs again. I have to deal with it in real life anyway, without being able to report, therefore I can learn something, if that member would be interested in a discussion.

Maybe you're a lovely person?
    I don't know, I'm not here to complain, just to get some direction in my deflowering regarding personal online insults. But as I'm on the web for only 15 years, which is only 3/4 of its existence or 3/8 of the internet, I haven't had that much time to acquaint myself with it.
    Whatever, it's nice to have finally gotten to know some of the dark sides of it, and I tried beginning with Napster chat.

All is well and the birds sing their lovely songs again. Bloody bastards.

19. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I say report him/her and have them banished to macrumors hell! :D

20. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

I'd rise above it. Its too easy to be abusive in an electronic arena and sadly manners can be lacking these day. But I think starting a thread like this about was a good idea and must have been some kind of therapy. ;)

I'm not sure there are many old hippies left but "Love and Peace Man" might be their response

21. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Completely agree. I think the anonymity that we have on the Internet helps to encourage the abuse and attacks in things like comments - just look at something like Engadget's or a YouTube video's comments - there's a whole war going in there.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm surprised I haven't gotten one. I can be a tad harsh on some of our uber-fanboys at times ;)

23. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

To the OP:

^ The way I read that, is that the rules apply to PMs as well as to posts.

I agree with what Panda said. Send them on by PM to a mod or admin, or use the Contact us form.

24. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Don't know really, I guess it depends on what happened. Iv'e yet to cross this bridge.

25. spinnerlys thread starter Guest

spinnerlys

Thanks for the advise, but as that this thread has been resurrected for no apparent reason (not treason) and the issue is long forgotten, and I just checked the message and sender again, and it seems that poster got banned in May anyway, thus no real need to report it.