Intel 24" imac stuck at grey screen after using windows

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by andydckent, Jun 2, 2009.

1. andydckent macrumors member

Hi

My intel iMac 24" running mac osx 10.5 (i think, most recent one) has become stuck at the grey screen after the apple logo on a restart with the spinning gear going.

This happened after restarting after using in windows mode, which I have done many times before.

I have tried various things like PRam thing and disconnecting power for a while with no luck. I can start up pressing alt and get into windows mode (which I am in just now). I can startup and press c off the CD in which I have run the disk repair thing that says all is well. I tried repair permissions and it came up with some kind of error ending. I have also tried and archive install which only goes to about 5% and then tells me there is an error with installing certain files in the mac hard drive.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Andy

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Call Apple, seems something went wrong with the HDD.

3. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

dont think its only related to windows, as mines gets stuck on grey screen when my WD books are switched off and i turn my imac on....only solution is to hold the power button to restart, the hard drives are on already so it doesnt get stuck.

4. andydckent thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys! Not sounding promising! Anymore thoughts please let me know!

5. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

hold command + v during startup

there should be a screen displaying the bootup (loading things). see if there is an error there.

I did that when mine was hanging on that gear, and it turns out a bad update did it (twice). It screwed up a file called diskarb, so I would get something like this:

attempting to start diskarb. .
    diskarb not responding, we'll try again soon. .
    attempting to start diskarb. .
    diskarb not responding. .
    giving up on diskarb. .

After that it would hang, and nothing else would happen. A clean install is what saved me, though I thought it was hanging again on the update, I left it on all night and when I came back OS X was back up. I rebooted again to see if it was going to hang, but it didn't.

6. andydckent thread starter macrumors member

Right rebooted with command + v

Its got to a bit which started: AppleYukon2:

then it said

localhost.com.apple.launchd[1](com.apple.mDNSResponder[*number here*]):posix_spawnp("/usr/sbin/mDNSResponder",...):No such file or directory

a couple of times, then a bit which started: NTFS

then

localhost.com.apple.launchd[1](com.apple.mDNSResponder[*number here*]):posix_spawnp("/usr/sbin/mDNSResponder",...):No such file or directory

repeatedly

7. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

It would appear (at least to me) that something was overwritten or corrupted, as it seems to be looking for something that it cannot find.

I wonder if anyone else who is more knowledgeable can shed more light on this