Intel 320 SDD dead on arrival?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Flap, May 10, 2011.

1. Flap macrumors newbie

Hey Folks,

I’ve just received my very own Intel 320 (160 Gigs) to use as a system drive for my good, old early 2008 Mac Pro.

I put the drive in the Icy Dock, screwed the Mac Pro sled on it and mounted it in a free bay in the machine. After bootup I was prepared to fire up Disk Utility and format it to my likings. But there was no SSD, it only showed my 3 other hard drives.
    So I boot Windows 7 via BootCamp to see if it’s visible there but again: nothing. Turned the machine off, checked the Connections (SSD goes nicely into the IcyBox, IcyBox goes fits into the Bay with no Problems), even tried different Bays but nothing seems to work.

So what do you think? Is the SSD or maybe the IcyDock dead? Or did I miss something big (like a Firmware to install)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS: The System Profiler also shows only three installed SSD’s and three spare SATA-slots (The one slot holding my SSD and two internal SATA-Connectors, I think).

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Do you have any other machines that you could install it into (preferably with 2.5" bay)? It could be the SSD or the Icy Dock so it's hard to say

3. Flap thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately not. I’ve got a MBP here, but it’s the mid- or early-2009 one, where they put pentalobe screws on the battery.

But if one of both is broken it doesn’t really matter which one. I'll just send it both back.

I was just wondering if I missed something.

4. philipma1957, May 10, 2011
    Last edited: May 10, 2011

philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

yes icy dock has had a 50 percent failure rate. there are posts on this site with icy dock reps admitting it was a bad piece of gear. they supposedly fixed it. you must have an old icy dock. maybe someone can find the thread for you.

here is one of the threads

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1087399&highlight=icy+dock

after reading the thread I think you should test the ssd in the optical bay without the dock.

5. Transporteur macrumors 68030

That depends on the specific ICY DOCK model. I have yet to see any failure reports about the old plastic dock. The reports you're referring to were about the metal one which had bad solder points that broke.

OP; just connect the drive without the ICY DOCK to the drive bay and see what happens.

6. Flap thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all. The IcyDock is officially broke. I went to ifixit and found out that the pentalobe screws where only on the Battery. Opened my MacBook, put the SSD in and I am installing SL as we speak.

So now I'm going to keep the SSD in the MBP and my MacPro has to wait a few days more (MBP HDD was dying anyways, strange klicks and beachballs while copying etc).

Very excited! Thanks alot, IcyDock is definately going back where it came from.

PS: It is a plastik IcyDock, Model: MB882SP-1S-2B

7. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

Good. I use a lot of intel ssd's 1st gen 2nd gen 3rd gen and so far I am 30 for 30 all good. I figured it was the Icy dock.

8. Flap thread starter macrumors newbie

Here’s an update. Bought another Intel320 plus IcyDock for use in my MacPro. The drive is again not detected when using the IcyDock. I’ve now put the SSD in with some tape to fixate it – Works like a charm. So IcyDock doesn’t seem to work on my MacPro. For whatever reason.

I’ll buy a MaxConnect for SSD now, that should work. No more IcyDock for me. Never.