Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Intel, AMD, and Nvidia are all reportedly bracing for a possible decline in shipments as well as a possible drop in revenue for the remainder of 2022 while the Mac is expected to continue to grow in popularity.

Justin-Long-Intel-Feature-Close.jpg

Citing industry sources, DigiTimes reports that Intel, AMD, and Nvidia have revised and lowered their own expectations for how many chips and products they'll ship in 2022 and their revenue goals.

Apple is the only company that's expected to see continued momentum for its Mac, such as the new M2 MacBook Air and MacBook Pro, the report says.

Intel has lowered its revenue goals for 2022 by roughly $11 billion and expects PC chip shipments to drop 10% compared to 2021 due to lower demand. AMD expects its shipments to drop between 14% and 16% in 2022, compared to a 7%-9% drop it was originally expecting.

Specific laptop makers are also bracing for a rough 2022 and early 2023. Companies such as Dell, Acer, HP, and Asustek Computer have all cut their expectations and projections for shipments and revenue.

Apple, on the other hand, is expecting to ship around 29 million MacBooks in 2022, an estimate higher than in the past three years, according to DigiTimes.

Apple has nearly completed its transition away from Intel processors in the Mac to its own custom-made Apple silicon chips. The company most recently announced the all-new M2 chip, promising 1.4 times faster performance than its M1 counterpart and up to 15 times faster than an Intel-powered model.

Apple has so far announced the M1, M1 Pro, M1 Max, M1 Ultra, and M2 chips for its Mac lineup. The highest-end Mac Pro and a low-end Mac mini are the only Macs that remain in Apple's lineup with Intel processors. Both are expected to be replaced as soon as this fall.

Article Link: Intel, AMD, and Nvidia Reportedly Bracing for Declines as MacBook Popularity Grows

Last edited:

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
Of all Apple's competitors, Nvidia is in the most precarious position. Both Intel and AMD will need to move to an SoC design to be competitive on performance-per-watt, and that means incorporating powerful GPUs into their chips. AMD already has the technical prowess to do this and Intel will soon after their GPU tech matures. This leaves Nvidia as the odd-man out. Nvidia knows this, which is why they tried to buy ARM, so they can supply SoC's on alternate ecosystems, like Chromebooks and Android phones.

Last edited:

jumpcutking

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2020
I have been very impressed with the M1 lineup. While I have not tested any of the m2 or used it in production, I have been in love with the performance since day one.

Grant it day one users were riddled with problems, but so were my first AMD processor and NVidia crashing cards. From my perspective, Apple Silicon makes companies like Intel & AMD have to innovate again.

The unparalleled performance of some applications running on M1 compared to its window’s/Intel environment (even against a Mac/Intel one) makes me pleased.

It’s like I can finally have a computer that responds as fast as I want it to. Grant it, I have to see any Triple A titles manifest on the Mac. However, I hope hip manufacturing companies can begin to develop newer concepts and processor types to compete with the SOC. I would love modularity back in the computer without sacrificing speed.

Although, I’m happy with my Mac minis and MacBookPro laptops. Even though I desire that M1 Studio…

jumpcutking

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2020
Of all Apple's competitors Nvidia is in the most precarious position. Both Intel and AMD will need to move to an SoC design to be competitive on performance-per-watt, and that means incorporating powerful GPUs into their chips. AMD already has the technical prowess to do this and Intel will soon after their GPU tech matures. This leaves Nvidia as the odd-man out.
Unless NVidia decides to manufacture SOC chip’s as well.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
this might hurt nvidia's bottom tier catalog, but their top end and consumer gpu shouldn't be too effected, right now no one has the arsenal to challenge nvidia's rtx line. however good apple silicon might be, its still a drop in the bucket in performance compare to their RTX line.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Let me translate the article for you as you don't get it.

Apple has growth incoming
Others have decline incoming

Simple as that.

This article is a complete fan boy mess.

It lists the number of MacBooks that will be sold, 29 million but compares that to lower percentages of computer sales from AMD and Intel? So PC sales will be 300 million vs 350 million?

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I remember in 2003 when Steve Jobs called it the year of notebook. But I think it’s been that ever since. Hence the reason Apple is slow to update the desktop Macs to date. There really isn’t that much of a demand I personally believe for even something like the Mac Pro. For most who even want a desktop, they would rather get an iMac. The that I see so many walking out the store with one, proved my point. But I think Apple is gonna go even harder on notebooks in the coming years, especially since they have so much control from the silicon to the software and hardware.

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
Nvidia makes an arm soc and can make custom arm chips just like Apple. Ever play Nintendo or heard of shield tv/tablet
You're right, Nvidia can make an ARM SoC since they have an ARM license. But they wanted to control and own the entire platform, so that everyone needing an SoC had no choice but to buy at least the IP from Nvidia. That's why Nvidia was willing to pay $40B for ARM.

Reactions: mhnd
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.