Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Intel announces 2.8 GHz notebook processor

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
This is the chip that's in the high-end iMac now, 4God. ;)

And it has a TDP of 44 watts...it's not showing up in a Macbook near you, unless it ships with an external heat shield for your body! :(

Comment

4God

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
This is the chip that's in the high-end iMac now, 4God. ;)

Oops, didn't think it was the same model number. Sorry if this is
an irrelevant post. Ahh, I have now read the entire article......duh.

Please be kind.....

Comment

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
No worries. It's confusing, but this part:

The first customer to get this high-end processor was once again Apple, which quietly began offering the chip two weeks ago for its new iMac. A 2.8 GHz iMac with a 24" monitor is currently offered from $2300, which translates into a $250 premium over a 2.4 GHz (non-"Extreme") model.

...is talking about the new 7900 chip and not the 7800.

(As a side note, the Intel iMacs have all, as far as I know, used "laptop" chip designs -- Yonah and Merom, before this one. Although, in this chip's case, it's a bit of a stretch to call it a laptop design!)

Comment

aliquis-

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2007
Comment

ZachPruckowski

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2007
I agree that we won't be seeing this. It'd be a bit too hot for the anorexic MBPs. I mean, if they weren't so thin-obsessed, sure, but while 44 Watts will fit in a 19-20 inch Alienware gaming beast with SLI, it's not getting in a no-desktop-replacement notebook

Comment

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
And why would one need to have the newest components all the time?

i do

but ill believe a 25-30 watt 3ghz chip when i see one

the reason apple uses laptop chips in the imac is because they run cooler they also come at a premium which is why everyone dosent do that

Comment

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
I wish my Mac was in date forever!! Get a sick feeling in the bottom of my stomach to see whats coming out next and knowing I cant get it!!!

Also as a reply to earlier, bragging rights are very important lol, at least in my group of friends :rolleyes:

Comment

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana

Im not a fan of making big purchases like that on eBay. Its something I try and steer well clear of. If you can afford to loose it then fine otherwise for me I just have to leave it!! Cant have everything in life although I try!!!

Comment

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
Im not a fan of making big purchases like that on eBay. Its something I try and steer well clear of. If you can afford to loose it then fine otherwise for me I just have to leave it!! Cant have everything in life although I try!!!

yeah i agree about buying something that big, i ment sell your old one so you could buy the newest thing

Comment

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Intel Launches Mobile Extreme CPU (Already in iMac)

https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Intel announced the Core 2 Extreme X7900 yesterday at Games Convention 2007.

The 2.8GHz Merom processor offers a 4MB L2 cache with support for 800MHz Front Side Bus.

Readers will recognize this chip as the chip that was announced in the iMac on August 7th as a high end configuration. It appears that Apple is able to get preferential shipments on upcoming Intel processors. Intel had previously provided Apple with a 3.0GHz Xeon (Clovertown) processor with an early limited production.

Article Link

Comment

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
very nice work.

i'm glad that Intel and Apple have a good relationship. much better than the Motorola/IBM days.

Comment

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
The Apple-Intel relationship definitely seems to be a bit better than the Apple-Motorola relationship of years past. Preferential treatment is great, hopefully it will continue with the upcoiming Penryn chips. :cool:

Comment

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
The Apple-Intel relationship definitely seems to be a bit better than the Apple-Motorola relationship of years past. Preferential treatment is great, hopefully it will continue with the upcoiming Penryn chips. :cool:

While Apple always played a part in the AIM alliance, there were too many egos to protect - mainly IBM and Motorola. Neither one wanted to listen to the other about how to proceed after the G3. I think Intel might appreciate Apple's input - however indirect - about how their chips should proceed, energy-wise. Of course, I base that statement purely on remembering something I read (though I don't know if it was factual or someone's opinion on these forums).

Comment

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Mbp

cool, I've asked this before (I think on M.R.) wonder if we'll see thin in MBP anytime soon. I'm wondering because I'll be in the market starting next week for a new laptop. But I don't wan't to play the waiting game for "the next update" forever.

As a side note; any opinions on if I should go 15" or 17" ?
I'm torn between LCD vs Higher Res diplay.

Comment

Panu

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2005
Virginia suburbs of DC
Extreme? I'm not sure.

I bought a 24" iMac with a 2.8 Core 2 Extreme CPU, or at least that's what the order and the acknowledgement says. "About This Mac" reports a Core 2 Duo, though.

I haven't talked to Apple about this yet, but is there a 2.8 Core 2 Duo? Is the iMac misreporting the CPU?

Hm.

Comment

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
I bought a 24" iMac with a 2.8 Core 2 Extreme CPU, or at least that's what the order and the acknowledgement says. "About This Mac" reports a Core 2 Duo, though.

I haven't talked to Apple about this yet, but is there a 2.8 Core 2 Duo? Is the iMac misreporting the CPU?

Hm.

The Extreme is a 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo. There is no Core 2 Duo Merom chip that runs at 2.8GHz, except the 'Extreme'.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.