Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I thought it was "Lewis-ville" (being that it is spelled LOUIS(LEWIS)Ville

There is no argument for that ever being a correct pronunciation, as the origin is French. "Loo-ey-ville" is the most phoenetically correct pronunciation, but not the preferred local pronunciation.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
There is no argument for that ever being a correct pronunciation, as the origin is French. "Loo-ey-ville" is the most phoenetically correct pronunciation, but not the preferred local pronunciation.

so if i was to ever goto Kentucky and ask how to get to "Lewisville" Id get the look of "are you crazy"?

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
so if i was to ever goto Kentucky and ask how to get to "Lewisville" Id get the look of "are you crazy"?

Yep, along with a "you ain't from around here, are you?"

BTW, in the course of my work in the department I've hosted a number of Nobel Laureates(and when I say hosted I mean that I was basically their #1 contact and main source of transportation for the entire duration of their visit, not to mention essentially planning their entire visit). I always have fun calling one of them up on the phone and saying "This is XXX XXX with the University of Loo-a-vuhl" :).

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I think every place is the same. Arizona has it's own pronounciations.

Tonopah: TOW-NO-PAW, not Tuh-no-puh.
Tucson: TOOK-SAWN, not Tuck-sin
Tempe: TIM-PEE, not Tim-pay
Prescott: PRESS-KIT (rhymes with Biscuit), not Press-cot

Said any other way and people will know you aren't from around here.

Arcady

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2002
Lexington, KY
Yep, along with a "you ain't from around here, are you?"

BTW, in the course of my work in the department I've hosted a number of Nobel Laureates(and when I say hosted I mean that I was basically their #1 contact and main source of transportation for the entire duration of their visit, not to mention essentially planning their entire visit). I always have fun calling one of them up on the phone and saying "This is XXX XXX with the University of Loo-a-vuhl" :).

I always try to say Louisville with the lowest number of syllables. "Loo-vill" HAHA

Hey, you work at UofL but have a UK logo in your profile. LOL

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I always try to say Louisville with the lowest number of syllables. "Loo-vill" HAHA

Hey, you work at UofL but have a UK logo in your profile. LOL

Just because I work there doesn't me I have to give up the loyalties I was born with :)

(The UK logo is there as long as they keep winning...or hang the banner!)

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN

I always thought it was pronouned "Too-sawn" never heard it said Tuck-sin

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I didn't actually, not until after I posted to it. BTW its "Realize" not "Realise"
You should know this considering your desire to spell in British English, the only English, if I remember correctly :rolleyes:

if they call french fries Chips than what do they call potato chips? So they call a Socket Wrench a socket spanner? sounds funny
Its my understanding spanners are not the same as socket wrenches. Usually it refers to an open ended or adjustable wrenches. The term is used here in the US though not as casually.

Living in Massachusetts nothing is pronounced as it appears. Worcester = wuster or woostah. Copley = cop lee rather than cope lee. Hingham = hing-um. Billerica = Bill Ricca (I though it was s guys name).

Hebrew is a funny language. It's not spoken by many but it's spoken all over the world so there are a lot of changes with pronunciations and spellings. Then you have Yiddish which is a bastardized version that gets confusing because it's words have become prevalent. Then consider it has its own nonlatin alphabet so it's often transliterated, which also affects pronunciation. Then if you write in transliterated hebrew, there's many ways to spell the same word.

I don't see what any of this has to do with running Intel apps on PPC. Programming languages? Idk...

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Its my understanding spanners are not the same as socket wrenches. Usually it refers to an open ended or adjustable wrenches. The term is used here in the US though not as casually.

Living in Massachusetts nothing is pronounced as it appears. Worcester = wuster or woostah. Copley = cop lee rather than cope lee. Hingham = hing-um. Billerica = Bill Ricca (I though it was s guys name).

A number of years back I dabbled in camera repair, and from a US-based tool supplier ordered a nice set of "point spanners." Basically, they are two pin vices mounted on a pair of adjustable bars with interchangeable tips. They are designed to allows you to remove the pin-headed screws(screws with two off-center holes in the head) common on cameras with minimal evidence. Most recently, I used them to take apart a 3rd party CPU upgrade for a repaste and heatsink lap, which used pin-headed screws presumably because they didn't want end users taking the thing apart. Since the screws had a standard 6-32 thread, I replaced them with a normal(pan head) phillips head machine screw of the same length.

In any case, I've never heard the tool for that particular type of screw head called anything other than a "point spanner", even here in the US.

We have a lot of fun in watchmaking, as most of my education is heavily American biased, and French is the predominant language in watchmaking today. Most tools and general horological vocabulary use or are heavily derived from their French names in contemporary use. Because I deal in American made watches-and many of the tools and concepts are American creations-I stubbornly use the American names for parts and tools. I practically got into a shouting match once with someone who insisted on calling one of my rare Walthams a "rattrapante" and incessantly corrected me on the "proper" term. I let him know in no uncertain terms that it was an American watch and therefore I would call it a split second chrongraph-and if he wanted to call it something else he could buy one and call it whatever he wanted!

As for Massachusetts towns, we have always been heavy consumers of "Worchestershire Sauce"(Lea & Perrins brand, of course) in my house, and have always called it "Woosteshire Sauce." I've never heard it called anything else. I've funny looks and had to repeat myself a number of times in restaurants when requesting that sauce, and often resort to asking for "The Lea & Perrins Sauce that starts with a W." :)

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
As for Massachusetts towns, we have always been heavy consumers of "Worchestershire Sauce"(Lea & Perrins brand, of course) in my house, and have always called it "Woosteshire Sauce." I've never heard it called anything else. I've funny looks and had to repeat myself a number of times in restaurants when requesting that sauce, and often resort to asking for "The Lea & Perrins Sauce that starts with a W." :)

LOL :D

It's pronounced wuster-shire in the country of it's origin. I hope you get the proper stuff, and it's not been made locally under license and changed to fit American tastes by some godawful conglomerate. Kraft, I'm looking at you for bludgeoning Cadbury's reputation. Creme Eggs without the correct chocolate will not be forgiven.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
LOL :D

It's pronounced wuster-shire in the country of it's origin. I hope you get the proper stuff, and it's not been made locally under license and changed to fit American tastes by some godawful conglomerate. Kraft, I'm looking at you for bludgeoning Cadbury's reputation. Creme Eggs without the correct chocolate will not be forgiven.

That's actually probably closer to how we say it.

As for what's in it-the Lea & Perrin's stuff for the US Market does have malt vinegar, tamarind, anchovies, and a bunch of other things that don't sound like they would make an appealing combination but do. I don't know how close to the "real thing" it is but I do know that if a restaurant offers me anything other than Lea & Perrins, I turn it down(it's also all I buy at home).

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston

I believe there was a thread here once on Worcestershire Sauce. Growing up in New England I was always under the impression that the pronunciation was Wustuh-shire sauce. Now if you're from Worcester, you'd probably pronounce it more like Wustahhhh.

When I first moved up to Boston I could not say anything without apparently mispronouncing it.
Peabody = pee-bah-dee
Woburn = woo-burn
Needham = need'um (I really embarrassed myself calling this place Need Ham)
Quincy = quin-zee (they really hate if you say quin-cee)
Leominster = LEH-min-ster but really Leh-min-stahhh

Boston/Mass just has their own language rules. The accent, though not exactly common in Boston, is probably one of the worst in the English language in my opinion. The Boston accent, once a very prestigious way of speaking, is now more common in lower class Boston suburbs.

----------

As for what's in it-the Lea & Perrin's stuff for the US Market does have malt vinegar, tamarind, anchovies, and a bunch of other things that don't sound like they would make an appealing combination but do. I don't know how close to the "real thing" it is but I do know that if a restaurant offers me anything other than Lea & Perrins, I turn it down(it's also all I buy at home).

It's actually owned by Heinz now. I never realized how disgusting the stuff is until a couple years ago when I read the ingredients. I still use the stuff occasionally depending on what I'm cooking.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
That's actually probably closer to how we say it.

Recipe sounds right. It shouldn't work, but it does! I've seen it in Florida a few years ago, where it used vinegar instead of malt vinegar and high thingy corn syrup (which appears to be in everything!) instead of cane sugar. Taste seemed slightly different, then again I was in a different country so who knows. I wasn't about to bring one home just to find out properly.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Kraft, I'm looking at you for bludgeoning Cadbury's reputation. Creme Eggs without the correct chocolate will not be forgiven.

I'm not a fan of Cadbury Creme Eggs, I nearly vomit whenever I see someone bite into one and see that white pearly goo ooze out. I guess being Jewish decreased my consumption of candy eggs (sold here primarily for Easter) compared to the normal American or Brit.

Cadbury chocolate is amazing though so I sympathize with you. Hershey chocolate is absolutely terrible. It tastes like water with cocoa powder in it. It doesn't quite melt the way real chocolate should. It's just not right. Hopefully the market will demand Hershey switch back to the Dairy Milk formula.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
It's actually owned by Heinz now. I never realized how disgusting the stuff is until a couple years ago when I read the ingredients. I still use the stuff occasionally depending on what I'm cooking.

Anchovies are not exactly the most popular ingredient in the UK, and Worcestershire is landlocked so no idea where they discovered them from!

----------

I'm not a fan of Cadbury Creme Eggs, I nearly vomit whenever I see someone bite into one and see that white pearly goo ooze out. I guess being Jewish decreased my consumption of candy eggs (sold here primarily for Easter) compared to the normal American or Brit.

Cadbury chocolate is amazing though so I sympathize with you. Hershey chocolate is absolutely terrible. It tastes like water with cocoa powder in it. It doesn't quite melt the way real chocolate should. It's just not right. Hopefully the market will demand Hershey switch back to the Dairy Milk formula.

Creme Eggs are very sweet, which isn't typical for UK confectionary. Hershey's is like eating brown plastic. Horrible stuff.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Spanner = wrench
Bonnet = hood
Boot = trunk
Chips = french fries

A few "changes" off the top of my head. :D

Of course the big one is that we drive on the correct side of the road now. :D :D
Does that mean Americans eat Fish & french fries, I don't think so!
But I understand the problem, was in Seattle some years back and ordered a sandwich, when I asked if I could get some chips on the side I got this 'look', until I said "you know, the same side order you serve with fish and chips'.
It can get confusing, but just because one culture spells something different to you does not make it wrong.
In England it is common to hear "I'll knock you up tomorrow morning",
now that does not mean what I just know you are all thinking.

ctmpkmlec4

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2014
Lyons, KS

My whole life has been a lie. I've always thought it was pronounced "Two-sahn." Oh well, I bet you guys don't know the proper pronunciation of this Kansas town: Salina.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Recipe sounds right. It shouldn't work, but it does! I've seen it in Florida a few years ago, where it used vinegar instead of malt vinegar and high thingy corn syrup (which appears to be in everything!) instead of cane sugar. Taste seemed slightly different, then again I was in a different country so who knows. I wasn't about to bring one home just to find out properly.

I just checked the bottle in the refrigerator, and it is distilled white vinegar rather than malt(I was wrong on that). It does, however, have sugar(not high fructose corn syrup), molasses, the anchovies and tamarind mentioned earlier, garlic, and a bunch of other spices that don't sound like they belong in the same bottle but taste surprisingly good together.

----------

My whole life has been a lie. I've always thought it was pronounced "Two-sahn." Oh well, I bet you guys don't know the proper pronunciation of this Kansas town: Salina.

Another one that identifies out-of-towners around here is the Kentucky town of Versailles.

(BTW, we have the castle at Versailles, not the palace at Versailles-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Castle )

ctmpkmlec4

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2014
Lyons, KS
Another one that identifies out-of-towners around here is the Kentucky town of Versailles.

(BTW, we have the castle at Versailles, not the palace at Versailles-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Castle )
Well.... If it's not pronounced "Ver-sai", I will guess its "Ver-sal-ez." I have been to Kentucky many times. I used to struggle with the pronunciation of Berea.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
No, you're right. I should have put that one in there too. Forgot about that.

It's what happens when you're saying Tucson fast. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.