• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In an interview with Yahoo Finance today, Intel's newly appointed CEO Pat Gelsinger said that the ongoing competition between his company and Apple is "fun," while also saying he hopes to make amends with the Cupertino tech giant.

pat-gelsinger-intel.jpg

Over the next two years, Apple will transition its Mac lineup away from Intel processors to its own Apple silicon chips. Apple is already well underway on the transition, having released three Mac computers based on its M1 SoC. Intel in response launched a marketing campaign last week to label Macs and M1 as inferior to Intel processors.

Despite the barrage of attacks, Gelsinger has indicated that he hopes to have Apple as a future customer. In his interview with Yahoo Finance, Gelsinger said that Apple relies too heavily on its current supplier, TSMC, for manufacturing Apple silicon and that Intel wants to offer its own services instead.
Apple is a customer, and I hope to make them a big foundry customer because today they're wholly dependent on Taiwan Semiconductor. We want to present great options for them to leverage our foundry services, as well, just like we're working with Qualcomm and Microsoft to leverage our foundry. We're going to be delivering great technology, some things that can't be done anywhere else in the world.
Gelsinger attributed the recent tense competition with Apple to the fact that there's still room for innovation in the industry and the bonus that PC demand is the highest it's been in over a decade. Gelsinger went on to say there's "competitive fun going on with Apple and the Mac ecosystem."
So obviously, you've seen some of the competitive energies [in chipmaking] resume because there's a lot of great innovation to be done, and we haven't seen PC demand at this level for a decade and a half. The world needs more of that, and there is competitive fun going on with Apple and the Mac ecosystem.
As part of its anti-Apple silicon marketing campaign, Intel recently hired former "I'm a Mac" actor Justin Long to star in a series of ads comparing M1 Macs to laptops powered by Intel processors. Additionally, Intel has turned to Twitter for the campaign and has created its own website to compare M1 Macs against PCs.

Article Link: Intel CEO Expands on Desire to Make Apple Silicon Chips, Touts 'Competitive Fun' With Apple

nathan_reilly

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2016
Seems like some folks don't understand how these companies can work as contracted manufacturers for each other..doesn't mean that intel is gonna steal apple's secrets but it could certainly mean more chip availability. This is not some zero sum "I only win if you lose" type situation.

Comment

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
If you’re American and you’re cheering against Intel I think you need to think more about this situation, and how eventually, that will impact you.
You want your country to be competitive in the global landscape. It is sad that Apple (an American company) has to look to a foreign country for its chip making needs, when there’s Intel still around just down the road.

it’s bad for the American industry ultimately if Intel were to die.

Comment

copperbutte

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2019
If you’re American and you’re cheering against Intel I think you need to think more about this situation, and how eventually, that will impact you.
You want your country to be competitive in the global landscape. It is sad that Apple (an American company) has to look to a foreign country for its chip making needs, when there’s Intel still around just down the road.

it’s bad for the American industry ultimately if Intel were to die.
Yes, that in a vacuum is true. However, when you start to slam your partner in commercials, the betting is off.

Comment

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Seems like some folks don't understand how these companies can work as contracted manufacturers for each other..doesn't mean that intel is gonna steal apple's secrets but it could certainly mean more chip availability. This is not some zero sum "I only win if you lose" type situation.
If any, this is a win-win for Apple. More foundries capable of building their processor can only help. The problem is, Intel has a long way to go before it can compete with TSMC. But if they can figure it out, more power to Apple.

Comment

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I’m not a CEO but I can imagine mocking a hopefully future client isn’t the best way to win them over
That’s called competition. You do this all the time.
Apple used to mock Microsoft all the time (“Redmond start your photocopiers!”) and in the same breath tout in their Mac ads that Microsoft makes Office for macs.

Comment

CalMin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
This whole marketing thing with Justin Long was a misfire. I'm not sure why they felt the need to label themselves as the underdog in all of this. I mean it's not like Apple is going to start selling CPUs to PC makers.

Clearly they are feeling insecure about this, but as much as I love my Mac, Windows absolutely dominates in business and that's not going to change any time soon, because Enterprise customers aren't going to switch to MacOS. If anything, the lack of BootCamp support will see lower penetration of Macs into that environment.

Intel needs to just stick to it's knitting and just focus on making better x86 CPUs.

Comment

velocityg4

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I certainly hope Intel can get back on track as a foundry and get their processes down to 7nm, 5nm and lower. Beyond the whole consumers win with more competition sentiment. It's quickly becoming all the worlds eggs in one basket. We're seeing the pains as TSMC can't keep up with all the companies who want to use their process.

I'm sure Apple has number one status with TSMC. But many other companies can't keep up with demand. Just look at consoles and GPU.

As far as I'm aware the only meaningful competition for TSMC right now is from Samsung. Unless anyone else is close in Fab size. So, come on Intel. We need another hat in the ring.

Comment

IG88

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2016
I hope they can offer a competitive foundry because we could use some competition in the space. Hopefully Samsung also catches up.
How could they? They're still producing 14nm+++++++ or whatever it's on now. 14nm was 5th gen Core series, Broadwell, came out in 2013 I believe. 11700K, which just launched, is on 14nm.

Intel is barely on their 10nm (only mobile so far), which the industry seems to agree is roughly equivalent to TSMC 7nm. Except that TSMC is already on 5nm.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ahhying and BKDad
Comment

jz0309

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2018
Temecula, CA
First, competition is a good thing and Apple has with TSMC a single source of failure...
Second, until Intel can compete with TSMC as a foundry, you’re looking at 5 years minimum...
Third, you guys taking these ads way too “personal”...
Apple with its next iteration of M silicon can show the road into the future... Intel is concerned, otherwise they would not want to offer foundry services for Arm...

Comment

Realityck

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Still need to have backup semiconductor foundry's located in the states for Apple to fall back on in case demand exceeds yields or something happens with TSMC processes.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.