Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In a new episode of Axios on HBO shared by MarketWatch, Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger sat down with Axios' Chief Technology Correspondent Ina Fried to discuss various topics, including Apple's transition to its own custom-designed silicon chips across its Mac lineup.

When asked if Intel has given up on the idea of the Mac running on Intel processors in the future, Gelsinger said that he hopes to win back this segment of Apple's business over time by outcompeting the company in chipmaking.

In the interview, Gelsinger acknowledged Intel's "stumbles" and said the company will "fight hard" to win back Apple's business by making better chips than Apple:
Fried: Recently Apple said they're moving from Intel chips on the Mac to homegrown processors. Have you given up on the idea of the Mac running on Intel chips?

Gelsinger: I never give up on the idea of anything not running on Intel chips. And, you know, hey, you know, our stumbles, you know, Apple decided they could do a better chip themselves than we could. And, you know, they did a pretty good job. So what I have to do is create a better chip than they can do themselves. I would hope to win back this piece of their business, as well as many other pieces of business, over time. And in the meantime, I got to make sure that our products are better than theirs, that my ecosystem is more open and vibrant than theirs, and we create more compelling reason for developers and users to land on Intel-based products. So, I'm going to fight hard to win Tim's business in this area.
In June 2020, Apple announced that it would be transitioning the Mac from Intel processors to its own custom-designed silicon chips, promising industry-leading performance per watt and improved graphics. The transition to Apple silicon began with the M1 chip in the MacBook Air, lower-end 13-inch MacBook Pro, and lower-end Mac mini in November 2020, and Apple said the transition would take around two years to be completed.

Intel has a lot of catching up to do if it aims to outclass Apple silicon, as benchmarks revealed that the MacBook Air with an M1 chip and a starting price of $999 outperforms a maxed-out Intel-based 16-inch MacBook Pro priced at $2,999.

In the meantime, Intel has been running ads promoting Windows PCs over Macs, and it even recruited former "I'm a Mac" actor Justin Long for the campaign.

The transition to Apple silicon is set to continue at Apple's virtual "Unleashed" event tomorrow, with the company widely expected to unveil redesigned 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models with a faster version of the M1 chip. The notebooks are also rumored to feature brighter mini-LED displays, an HDMI port and SD card slot, and a magnetic power cable, while the Touch Bar is expected to be removed in favor of physical Fn keys.

Intel still supplies processors for some other Macs, including the 27-inch iMac and the Mac Pro, but those models are expected to adopt Apple silicon by next year.

Article Link: Intel CEO Hopes to Win Back Apple by Making Better Chips Than Apple

Last edited:

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
Poor dumb Intel,

the fact this is happening hours before Apple is showing the M1X ( which will destroy almost every Intel Chip) is the final nail in the coffin for Intel’s desperation ever since the move to Apple Silicon

Apple is not going back to Intel neither for its desperation and especially for x86 when ARM is far superior and M1 is better than most Intel x86 CPU’s

just F off Intel for once and be creative and move on from apple knowing very well you stuffed king apple up on more than one occasion ( especially with how **** Intel modems are)

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Well, good luck Intel, I do hope that they can improve, and, if they are as successful as he claims - competition is a good thing.
Having said that, Intel is not only “fighting” Apple, there’s a bunch more companies rumored to doing ARM for laptops (MS, Google…), they are losing ground in the server space, and then there RISC-V…
You’re gonna be busy, very busy Intel

Joe_

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2020
United States
I want the M1X to outclass every single chipset Intel has ever made. Intel is the next IBM. Apple’s 1984 ad is the perfect illustration of Intel’s monopoly on the chipset market right now. And if you think that Apple would ever pick up the gum they left on the sidewalk? Apple Silicon will destroy Intel right now and AMD’s lower end lineup should be pissing itself right now. The competition should be scared of Apple’s Johny Srouji Silicon Team right now. If you disagree with me, reevaluate your viewpoints.

c84216

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2006
Intel has just completely lost its way. It’s so far off it’s roadmap it might be driving through a cornfield. I still remember how surprisingly crisp and competent Intel’s roadmap became after the NetBurst debacle. But post Otellini leadership just couldn’t keep the focus. And now you have missed die shrinks, missing features, missed development timelines. I remember around the time the most recent MBP design occurred that it ended up with chips it wasn’t designed for since Intel couldn’t meet its promises to its corporate partners despite product roadmaps are locked years in advance.

Intel only has itself to blame here. This interview is a signal that the leadership is poor if not outright delusional. Apple’s business is gone forever. Now it has complete control over its roadmap. If it won’t hit its marks, oh well. It will know and can adapt. Mr. and Mrs. John Q. Public don’t give two hoots about what processor is in the product if it works as advertised. And when you can, for example, advertise the battery life Apple can now advertise, that’s what people will care about short term. Long term they’ll get used to it and won’t think twice if Apple isn’t able to keep up with anyone else (and let’s face it: they will. Qualcomm has barely caught up to the A10 for example). And Apple will always be able to adjust its marketing given they will be fully in the know what will and will not be advertisable.

Intel needs to work quickly to adapt to the PC market. With Google now designing its own chips and it being very likely Microsoft is working on an M1 competitor, the days of one company making all the processors is rapidly coming to an end.

evancycles2

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2021
f
No way that Apple would go back to x86. If Intel ever seriously invested in ARM it wouldnt be outside the realm of possibility that Apple would have them produce Apple Silicon much like TSMC does today.
They could theoretically make similar chip architecture to compete against Apple Silicon. It's not happening tomorrow. However, Intel is already adapting with their 12th gen chips which are somewhat of a hybrid and a transition. I don't get the whole anti-Intel thing, especially if you're an American. I think also Intel will invest not solely in designing, but becoming a foundry to other's chip designs, much like TSMC. This is how Intel gets back Apple's business. Which only made up I believe about 5% of their revenues.

Orange Bat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2021
At one time I believed that Apple will keep selling and updating Intel machines for a few more years (There are still pros that absolutely need Intel processors). While I think they’ll need to keep an Intel machine or 2 in their line-up for another year or so, it sounds like Apple is going to abandon Intel quicker than I would have thought.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.