Intel Core 2 Duo SP9400 and nVidia 9400M chipset.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jav6454, Nov 5, 2008.

1. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Ok, so this will be a quite technical post from the point of view of hardware compatibility.

Currently Al MacBooks carry 9400M nVidia chipset and a Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 (2.4Ghz, 1066MHz FSB and 3MB L2 cache). This processor comes in two forms. One form is socket P and the other is FCBGA 6.

I was looking at Intel's line up in current Penryns. Intel has listed a Core 2 Duo SP9400 which has a 2.4GHz clocked speed 1066MHz FSB and a whopping 6MB L2 cache. However, it only comes in one form factor FCBGA 6.

Now, here comes the more complicated matters. What type of form factor do current nVidia 9400M chipsets support?

Now, I know current MacBooks have their processors soldered. However, if form factors match. Can one unsolder the current P8600 processor and successfully install the SP9400?

What are the downturns or cons of doing this (besides screwing up your laptop)?

2. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

I'm guessing many people are confused on what I said.

3. Hydroxs macrumors regular

4. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

im not sure what the form factor the 9400M allows, but as far as cons, i would think that the Sp9400 would run a little hotter? im not quite sure...but that would seem to be the only difference, which is why the MBPs have 6MB of cache instead of 3...because they have more room to dissipate heat...

idk, just my thoughts, im not entirely sure though, so if anyone knows, enlighten us please :)

5. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

Can it be done? Technically, I think yes. However un-soldering the cpu and soldering in another one is EXTREMELY difficult to do, even for a professional. The chance of something going wrong is VERY VERY high.

I also don't think the added performance is worth the risk. I don't even think you'd notice much difference in everyday use, only difference is going to be in benchmarks.

6. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

Yeah, that counts within "Screwing your laptop". I can see heat as a potential con though...

7. Hydroxs macrumors regular

6MB L2 cache isn't going to make that much of a difference in real life. I doubt it will produce anymore heat unless it has a different TDP or voltage.