Intel Gen2 SSD - Disk errors - AGAIN!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dubaimac, Dec 30, 2009.

1. dubaimac macrumors regular

I don't believe it, I took them out of RAID0, I have been fine for a week, and then today, BOOOOM, disk errors again, invalid file and folder counts, is there a definitive reason why this happens? Can it be the applications that I'm restoring, my preferences, my settings, I thought the disk errors were down to the system files and the disks.

I might be way off the mark here, but is there anyway that my DROBO could be interfering here, it has caused some funny problems before, especially when moving disk around.

Any assistance or reports to run would be appreciated, Apple in Dubai is non existent, a Genius bar would be like a brothel over here.

I want to run my SSD's in the way they were supposed to work, at what point do I RMA them, if they will take them, I don't think there is anything physically wrong with them.

2. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I have a FW800 Drobo with an Intel SSD Model# SSDSA2M160G2GC. I've only recently installed it, and have a clean Install of Snow Leopard on it. I have been testing my apps on it. So far I have had no problems with the Drobo and the SSD.

It's problems like yours that have made me very hesitant about going to an SSD full time.

3. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Geeze. That sucks. I've been wanting to set up a RAID-0 with a couple of SSD's but I came across a thread here the other day that the Intel G2's have an issue with 10.6.2 ?? I was going to use this: TransIntl ProSled .

[​IMG]

What are you using to RAID your drives? Onboard or a RAID card?

4. Transporteur macrumors 68030

The Trans International ProSled is not capable of running more than one Intel SSD, so basically worthless for SSDs.

A single Intel SSD operates on the limit of the SATA II bus (~270MB/s), hence you would cut the performance of a RAID0 out of two Intel SSDs by 50%, which would result in the same performance of a single drive.

5. dubaimac thread starter macrumors regular

just checked it again, and its happened again, within 2 hours,

6. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Just a thought but you might want to try secure erasing those drives before installing the OS. There's a thread on macrumors on how to do this.

Link: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=841182

This should restore your SSD to their factory state. It may solve your problem. Good luck :)

7. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Yeah, I would try that as well as reflashing the firmware, and possibly trying different versions of firmware to see if one works better than the other. Unfortunately, that's going to take some investment of time on your part though.

8. dubaimac thread starter macrumors regular

I'm just doing a CCC of the SSD, then I'm going to flash the firmware, then do the linux stuff, restore the clone, and see what happens, no sleep for me then tonight :D

9. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

I also had another failure with the Arc-1210 RAID0 today. New firmware is installed. I just partitioned the array and cloned the backup back. Fourty minutes for that. I wish I had a clone with 10.6.1. This 10.6.2 is ****** stuff.

10. dubaimac thread starter macrumors regular

The errors are back again, I wiped the drive in a windows machine using the toolbox, started again and now its back,

I have moved my home folder to my 2TB raid 0, could this have something to do with it, at what point do I say the drive is screwed or is this software?

11. smacman macrumors 6502

Is there any way you can try connecting the drive to one your internal bays (sorry if it already is)? My G2 160Gb drive is mounted in the second optical bay, and has been trouble free so far.

12. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

I'm pretty sure this is a 10.6.2 issue. It never happened with previous OS X versions and not with Windows.

13. nanofrog macrumors G4

It seems 10.6.2 is causing all kinds of problems with drives. Both RAID (hardware and software) as well as SSD's. :(

14. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I've had nothing but problems with 10.6.2 and my Apple Raid Card.

But so far my Intel SSD has been problem free.

When I've been testing the SSD I yank the RAID Card and my RAID 1 set. It runs a clean install of 10.6.2 problem free.

15. nanofrog macrumors G4

The clean install helps I'd think (typically does), but others have been reporting problems with all makes of RAID cards, including Apple's. There's also been other reports with SSD's, so I guess you've been really lucky.

Must be nice. :D :p

16. superock macrumors newbie

17. whyrichard macrumors 68000

18. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

My only comment is that it seems like it's taking forever for 10.6.3.

19. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

I have no problems here.

Running Intel SSD, RAID-0, FireWire 800 and 400 drives.

20. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

No problem here with my Intel G2 SSD (80GB). Not in RAID, but I do have a RAID0 of regular HDs in there.

Loa

21. nanofrog macrumors G4

You're stripe set is mechanical though, correct?

It seems single SSD's are fine.

My comment about 10.6.2 is valid though for some, but it's been hard to nail down the absolute specifics, given the variances in setups. But it has caused issues with mulitple makes of hardware controllers (Apple, Areca, Highpoint), and even Disk Utility created software RAID (not sure if it's the drives make/model or only with specific levels,...).

22. Lyshen macrumors 6502

No problems here, running Intel 80GB G2 on 10.6.2 OSX Server as main OS drive (boot).

23. bugout macrumors 6502a

I've been running 2 160GB intel G2's in raid 0 as my boot drive since November on 10.6.2 with no issues.

24. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Did 10.6.3 solve peoples problems with Intel G2 drives in RAID0? or did that problem disappear before 10.6.3... I haven't heard much about it for a long time.

25. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

I gave it another try with two 80 GB Intel Gen2 and an Areca 1210 card in Raid0. I gave up last years when I did not need a second OS so often. Now I tried the same with 10.6.4 and I'm still getting the crashes. :confused:

One last thing I'm going to try is new firmware 1.48 by Areca.