Intel Hashwell CPUs will have 50 pct. more battery life

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by kristoffer4, May 25, 2013.

1. lukeyyyyy macrumors newbie

I don't think it works like that, even if the CPU does indeed use 50% less power compared to ivy bridge. Looking at the system as a whole that 50% will probably scale down to around 20% I expect the 11 inch to have 6:30 up for 5 hours and the 13 inch to have 8:30 up from 7 hours

2. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

It also won't work that way because now they can now stick a smaller battery in the MBA to make it thinner and lighter, but still give you the same battery life you get today with the heavier battery.

I think there is likely a practical limit to the utility of battery life...the milestones seem to be either a coast-to-coast flight (think about 6 hours) or a workday (about 8 hours in the US).

3. bp1000 macrumors 65816

Yes as CPUs become more power efficient, they reduce how many heavy battery cells are needed, thus making laptops small, thinner and lighter.

There is only so small you can go but as the battery takes up most of the space inside the gained space might be traded off against new chips/technology and OSX features.

Eg in the old days CPU and battery limitations made OSX thin and lifeless at idle.

Now with smart CPU power usage and battery technology you can afford to have background data transfer. It won't affect performance due to powerful CPUs and you can have a few CPU cycles going on in the background and still achieve 5-8 hours battery life.

I just think thy will trade off improvements in CPU power against background OSX features and a bit of space.

We have already seen the last 2 releases of OSX get a little more power hungry which shows more on older hardware

4. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

But it doesn't work that way. If only Apple gives us physical revisions every time there's a reason to use smaller batteries, we'll have MBA's with thinner bezels by now. ;)

5. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

I do think there is a physical limit to how low you want to go with size, i.e., if you make the keyboard half so thin and light, the screen will make it top-heavy and it will fall over.

That would argue for keeping the same size, same battery, and thus longer life with the next-gen.

Just realize that Apple has always been trying to make things smaller and lighter...which is why we got the MBA in the first place! ;)

6. dingdongbubble macrumors 6502a

I really hope Haswell MBAs come out mid June and give the MBA 11 at least 6 hours of battery. And for the MBA 13 smaller bezels, lighter weight.

7. thehustleman macrumors 65816

Sounds good, but apple will probably screw that up by putting in a smaller battery.

They are making great stuff, but the problem is they are too obsessed with making things smaller

8. dingdongbubble macrumors 6502a

^There's no point making the 11" model any smaller but increasing its battery life would be worth it. On the other hand the battery of the 13" model is great but it could use a smaller chassis like the rMBP.

9. kristoffer4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

But isn't already smaller than the rMBP?

10. B... macrumors 68000

B...

He means relative. The 13" rMBP is smaller than the 13" MBA,so he wants the 11" to have an "11" rMBP" form factor.

11. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

I don't care if they change the form factor of the 11" MBA (although a bigger screen via a smaller bezel would be awesome), I just want a 11" rMBA!

12. kristoffer4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

But overall isn't the MBA 13" smaller than the 13" rMBP?

13. Ztormie macrumors regular

Nope, it's thinner and lighter but actually a bit wider and deeper.

14. dingdongbubble macrumors 6502a

This! Just like the 12" PowerBook. But I think realistically speaking I will not hold my breath for it. Apple must have thought it through when they went for an 11" design especially since they already had experience with a 12" design. So I think I will just hope for better battery life and hopefully $100 less.

15. arctic, May 27, 2013
    Last edited: May 27, 2013

arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

The Pro may be heavier but it actually has a smaller footprint.

Attached Files:

16. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

That signals to me, at least, that the 13" MBA will soon have a smaller footprint (at least eventually). Apple seems very good at product releases where the newest model of somewhat overlapping products has some advantage over the older model, tempting you to buy it.

17. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

I really do hope so. And really hoping for a smaller bezel Air or at least make the screen bigger for the 11" form factor. But as bluecheese pointed something to keep in mind that the form factor of the current Airs might be because of the balancing of the chassis and making sure the screen won't be too heavy for the lighter body in comparison to the Pros. It's possible the lighter IGZO screens could help if Apple deems fit to utilize these. I guess this is also the reason why the Pros use glass for their screens while the Airs don't.

18. flynz4 macrumors 68040

The reason that the bezel is so substantial is to allow the lid to taper to its thin edge. The actual lid of the MBA is nowhere near as thin as it appears as it must be wide enough to hold the display. The space behind the bezel allows the lid to become "razor thin" as it approaches the edge... providing the optical illusion that the lid is much thiner than it is in reality.

If they were to bring the screen out to the full size of the lid... then it would have need a squared off edge... or maybe just a much less gradual taper... ruining this illusion of thinness.

/Jim

19. luffytubby macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

20. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

not going to happen.

the 11" MBA has a 35w battery
    the 13" MBA has a 50w battery
    the 13" cMBP has a 63.5w battery
    the 13" rMPB has a 74w battery

Now, I know that the the pro is a more powerful computer than the air but that's a LOT more battery required to run the retina screen between the 13" MBA and the 13" rMBP...and more than twice what's in the 11".

I know the 11" screen is smaller and would therefore require less power, but the 11" is every bit as powerful as the the 13" MBA so I just don't see how they could add retina to the 11" without making some serious size and weight changes. And considering the fact that the 11" is clearly marketed towards the ultralight people, they're going to think long and hard before doing that.

The 11" is already suffering from a fairly short battery life as it is, i'm not sure consumers would tolerate much less than 5. I don't think that the reduced power demands of the new chip will compensate the energy required to run a retina screen, even if it is smaller.

As i've said in other threads, whether or not Retina is here to stay, the race for high-res is going to be eternal - so i'm not saying we'll never see it, i just don't think we'll be seeing it in 2 weeks.

21. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Hence the lack of glass on the airs. If you add glass to even the current design it'll fall backwards at every opertunity.

22. jdechko macrumors 68040

Thank you for finally putting this into words. I've been meaning to write this for quite some time.

Not that Apple couldn't change the lid design to accommodate a slightly larger screen, but just reducing the bezel size doesn't work.

23. krravi macrumors 65816

Battery savings will be eaten up by the higher performance of the GPU's? Or does it have a better performing GPU + long battery life?

24. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Don't get too excited. Apple will manage to make it still thinner (not to say I support it) with a smaller battery to compensate. ;)

U kids too young but once there was a thing called TRANSMETA and it promised 10+ hour batt life.