Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lolex

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2005
where ever the Sun shines
Lacero said:
Yeah. This time, Steve Jobs under-promised and over-delivered on the date, unlike his famous 3 Ghz promise.

attachment.php

steve1.gif
Where did you get that ?:D

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
animefan_1 said:
They also said the iPod mini was supposed to cost ~$99.

We all know how right they were with regards to that. :rolleyes:

I was being facetious. I don't think that prices will drop that much. I think Apple will opt to add more features and keep the prices about the same. But there might be a new bare-bones iBook coming to help Apple eat into Dell's market share. Honestly, I don't care because I want a top of the line 17" Intel PowerBook.

Hickman

animefan_1

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
New York
JoeG4 said:
Lower prices? How do they plan to do that without sacrificing quality?

Oh I get it now..

INTRODUCING THE ALL NEW 1.8GHz Apple iBook!

Powered by the blistering fast Intel® Celeron-M™ processor with Intel Extreme Integrated Graphics!!!

Personally, I doubt Apple is going to do that. I think they may use the current Dothans for the iBook and use the latest and greatest for PowerBooks. This allows Apple to NOT use a crappy chip in their iBooks and also allows them to use something cheaper.

As far as graphics are concerned, I think Apple will continue to do what they are doing in this regard.

It's gonna stink like rat poo... But that's Apple now, not Apple a year ago -- the "We don't think video matters", firewire-pushing,
I don't think Apple taking FireWire out of the iPod means they're not going to push it anymore. Call me when they take it out of their computers (which they won't).

RIAA-fingering company has turned into a "budget solution" company that "believes in variable pricing for songs"
Do you have proof of this statement besides the stupid EMI exec blathering about his wet dream.

What do you mean by 'budget solution'? Can you provide examples?

and "sees a place for video in the market"...
because...you know...Apple isn't allowed to change their mind and/or not tell anyone what they're working on (read: NOT giving competitors a clue for their plans).

It's like the borg has taken over.
This one's easy - no, that's just not true. If Steve Ballmer/Bill Gates took over Apple, then you'd have a point (and I'd have to get my pitchfork :D ).

animefan_1

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
New York
Brian Hickman said:
But there might be a new bare-bones iBook coming to help Apple eat into Dell's market share. Honestly, I don't care because I want a top of the line 17" Intel PowerBook.

I doubt Apple will do a bare-bones system. They compare decently to Dell now, so if they can add a few features and lower the price a little, they'd have a winning combo.

unage85

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2003
Sydney
Better enclosure?

The poor iBook looks really dodgy compared to the 12inch PowerBook. I remembered I spent the extra $1000AU just because the enclosure just wasn't sexy enough (not to mention plastic scratches like hell).

What's up with scratch prone Apple products anyways?? iBook... iPod!!!! :p

- Den

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I voted this story a negative. Any rumour that talks about a P-M going into the iBook first before the PowerBook gets a negative rating from me, seeing as how we KNOW which system is the most desperate for an upgrade.

generik said:
What do you mean by "... due to internal design..."? Even if Apple puts in the current Pentium Ms into the iBook, at say 1.5Ghz (pretty much the slowest PM these days) it will be very compariable to the G4 1.67.

Really? I think a 1.5GHz PentiumM will be much much faster than a 1.67GHz G4 for OSX, Tiger, pretty much all Apple apps, and some of the pro apps. Its not like NONE of the pro apps will be ready.

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
Just read my signature... :eek:

You've got to admit, as nice as all these Intel at MWSF rumors would be, when was the last time Apple was ahead of schedule? Besides, from all we've heard from Steve, none of this is really logical...

Just my 2¢...

reality

JRM PowerPod

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2005
Outback Australia
January 06 - The Death Of The G4

People of this great forum, there will be no G4 as of MWSF 2006

There will be new Mac mini's, New PowerBooks and New iBooks.

WHY?

-They can't only update the iBooks coz they will kill the PowerBook's
-If they update the PB's they may as well upate the iBooks because the intel chip will make it cheaper
-The same deal is with the mini's, they will probabbly have the same spec's as the iBooks. and Intel could infact make it even cheaper

Otherwise we will see nothing. WHICH I DOUBT

oober_freak

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2005
Indian Ocean
JoeG4 said:
Lower prices? How do they plan to do that without sacrificing quality?

Oh I get it now..

Powered by the blistering fast Intel® Celeron-M™ processor with Intel Extreme Integrated Graphics!!!

It's gonna stink like rat poo... But that's Apple now, not Apple a year ago -- the "We don't think video matters", firewire-pushing, RIAA-fingering company has turned into a "budget solution" company that "believes in variable pricing for songs" and "sees a place for video in the market"...

It's like the borg has taken over.

You'd be surprised to know that the celeron M is essentially a Pentium M with lower l2 cache..

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
JoeG4 said:

It's gonna stink like rat poo... But that's Apple now, not Apple a year ago -- the "We don't think video matters", firewire-pushing, RIAA-fingering company has turned into a "budget solution" company that "believes in variable pricing for songs" and "sees a place for video in the market"...

The Celeron-M is essentially just a Pentium M, except missing some cache RAM I believe. It wasn't that much slower than a Pentium M, either, so don't knock it.

Also, Intel Integrated graphics aren't as bad as you think. Sometimes it's better than those video cards we get in our portable Macs.

EDIT: Okay, beaten to it. Didn't mean to sound like a broken record.

aegisdesign

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
QCassidy352 said:
I'm calling BS.

First, if the ibooks go intel first, they'll probably mop the floor with the powerbooks in pure speed. Would apple really allow that?

I'd doubt they'd put anything other than a single core Pentium M in the iBook and I'd guess it'd be in the 1.4-1.7Ghz range, not 2Ghz+. It'd be slower than the G4 for some things, quicker in others. Couple it in with lack of Intel native applications and the G4 Powerbook will still be quite a bit quicker for Pro app use.

Where you may notice the speed difference though is in 3D graphics if the intel native graphics driver and OpenGL implementation are significantly faster than the PPC versions. This is the only area that I see my iMacG5 getting whupped by my 1.7Ghz PM laptop.

aegisdesign

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
JRM PowerPod said:
-If they update the PB's they may as well upate the iBooks because the intel chip will make it cheaper

Do you know how much a G4 CPU costs?

Hint: it's not a lot.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
please please please apple do not start selling ibooks with giant screens, i love the fact that i can get a 12" notebook cheaply with non integrated graphics that looks nice, gah, their is nothing i dislike more than a budget 15" notebook with a crummy 1024x768 screen, more and more young people are buying laptops and they like small, their are four people in my school that bring laptops into school, two have 12" powerbooks and me with my 12" ibook and some **** with a 17" brick, he hates it and rarely brings it in, the bigger is better mentality is dieing out.

DCBass

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2004
Washington, DC
Lacero said:
Yeah. This time, Steve Jobs under-promised and over-delivered on the date, unlike his famous 3 Ghz promise.

attachment.php

Exactly. Given the embarrassment Apple and Steve suffered on account of this, I would expect nothing less than an announcement at MWSF, making it seem like they are really on top of things.

Which, hopefully they are.

I'm sure Steve wouldn't be caught making a huge announcement that Apple could not already exceed in spades (with 110% certainty). Many more of those, and the stevenotes lose their allure and the more the rdf recedes.

aegisdesign

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
animefan_1 said:
I doubt Apple will do a bare-bones system. They compare decently to Dell now, so if they can add a few features and lower the price a little, they'd have a winning combo.

I'm sat here with a Dell brochure for a crappy CeleronD mini-tower, keyboard and mouse for £149+VAT on my desk. 2.53Ghz, 512MB RAM and 80GB hard disk. Probably just fine for an office computer. Bring your own screen.

The closest Apple gets is the Mini at £306+VAT. No keyboard, mouse or screen. Nicer software but is that really worth £150 more? (I'd say yes but most people wouldn't)

If you just want cheap, Apple doesn't do it.

DCBass

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2004
Washington, DC
There are 2 choices...

It seems to me that there are two possibilities if we assume intel ibooks at mwsf at a discount of $200 or so:

1. Given the price drop, and no powerbooks announced at the same time, these machines won't be any speed demons, at least not relative to the current pb. I don't believe that Apple won't murder one of their, albeit somewhat outdated, products, even for a second.

2. The intel iBooks can be much faster than they are now, but only if faster intel Powerbooks are at least announced at the same event. I might be inclined to give them a spare week to make a second announcement for the pb's (like they've done in the past), but I don't think Apple would let all of the 1st Intel Comp press be focused on the measly iBook when intel pbs would only be a week away.

mdavey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
DCBass said:
It seems to me that there are two possibilities if we assume intel ibooks at mwsf at a discount of $200 or so

There are at least two more possibilities:

3. Apple announces both the replacement iBook and the replacement PowerBook ranges as I and others have previously suggested. Remember there is a difference between announcing and shipping. Apple has a habbit of announcing many products at once, but giving them different shipping dates.

I'd expect the replacement Mac mini to ship the day it is announced, but for Steve Jobs to announce at MWSF that the laptop ranges will ship a few weeks after MWSF.

4. Just as the iMac is a completely different form-factor to the PowerMac, perhaps the designers have switched the iBook range to the tablet form factor, perhaps with an optional laptop-size bluetooth keyboard.

That would help differentiate the two lines (iBook and PowerBook) from each other and also from the existing G4 products which as others have pointed out, Apple may choose to keep available for a few months.

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Like others I think a move of the low end first makes a lot of sense. People run only bundled software and Office on those machines, so the hit from major packages not being ported to x86 will be minimal.

One question is though, what about Office? Microsoft has been quiet AFAIK on x86 porting of Office. I personally can see three scenarios, that I list here in what I think is increasing order of likelihood:

1. No Office port to x86 at release of Intel based Macs. Rosetta all the way - not too bad because Office doesn't really require too much CPU heft to get it working fine.

2. Office 2004 ported to x86, Universal Binary upgrade on MS web site for download.

3. NEW! Office 2006 with x86 support! Microsoft don't miss out an opportunity to make money by getting people to upgrade.

I only pick option 3 as the most likely scenerio because I currently have a copy of Office Student and Teacher Edition with one unused license key that I am hoping to use on an Intel Mac in the future! Would be a totally Microsoft thing to do to make me have to go out and buy another copy of Office!

DCBass

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2004
Washington, DC
mdavey said:
There are at least two more possibilities:

3. Apple announces both the replacement iBook and the replacement PowerBook ranges as I and others have previously suggested. Remember there is a difference between announcing and shipping. Apple has a habbit of announcing many products at once, but giving them different shipping dates.

I'd expect the replacement Mac mini to ship the day it is announced, but for Steve Jobs to announce at MWSF that the laptop ranges will ship a few weeks after MWSF.

4. Just as the iMac is a completely different form-factor to the PowerMac, perhaps the designers have switched the iBook range to the tablet form factor, perhaps with an optional laptop-size bluetooth keyboard.

That would help differentiate the two lines (iBook and PowerBook) from each other and also from the existing G4 products which as others have pointed out, Apple may choose to keep available for a few months.

Just to be sure, I believe I did mention in my 2nd point that ibooks and pbs could be announced at the same event.

Agreed on the shipping and announcing distinction. I guess I didn't make that clear in my previous post.

In any case. I do like your ideas. Tablet iBook anyone? Mark me down for one.

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
What? A thread on macrumors and not one arsehat chimes in with "Powerbook G5! I know it!!!" I simply can't believe it.

Speaking of things you shouldn't believe, those who bought into the (or frankly ANY) rumor from AppleInsider, a site that hasn't been relevant since the Carter Administration... people, AppleInsider hasn't been right in the 21st century yet... c'mon, wake up.

Finally it occurs to me that, though ThinkSecret's word was close to golden, an impressive close to 90% or better rumor to reality rate, the times they are a changin' what with Apple suing them. What's to say Apple somehow didn't plant this info to try to 1. just fool the heck out of TS or 2. catch someone?

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Photorun said:
What? A thread on macrumors and not one arsehat chimes in with "Powerbook G5! I know it!!!" I simply can't believe it.
You'd be the first one, then. :p Congrats.

Finally it occurs to me that, though ThinkSecret's word was close to golden, an impressive close to 90% or better rumor to reality rate, the times they are a changin' what with Apple suing them. What's to say Apple somehow didn't plant this info to try to 1. just fool the heck out of TS or 2. catch someone?
Good point. Apple puts out some honey trying to catch some bees. Perfect plan. Only problem is, ThinkSecret is a rumor site and the tipster is anonymous. But a wrong rumor affects TS's credibility, however shot it might be.

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
Meh

I was wishing for new Powerbooks. The Dual-core Yonah would let us have a Dual 2.0 17" Powerbook for $200 (!). Better to roll out something hugely impressive to build buzz rather than a single-core iBook... The performance gain would make up for Rosetta.

mdavey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
DCBass said:
Just to be sure, I believe I did mention in my 2nd point that ibooks and pbs could be announced at the same event.

Ah, yup, sorry - I read it as you thinking that PowerBooks would be announced after, but you though that scenario was unlikey - even only a week later. You've made some very good points throughout this thread and elsewhere at MR - very much enjoyed reading them - Thanks :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.