Intel iMac Sales Sluggish?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ThinkSecret claims that sales of Apple's new Intel iMac are "lower than Apple expected". Meanwhile, sales of PowerPC-based iMacs and PowerBooks have reportedly dropped off considerably.

This is in contrast to comments made by Apple during the Q1 2006 Financial Results webcast. At that time they noted an "extraordinary response" to their announcements of the new iMac and MacBook Pro.

The rumor site also notes that several developers were displeased at the early transition. Meanwhile, major vendors such as Adobe and Microsoft have been silent about the timeframe that their applications will be transitioned to the new architecture. The work required to transition Carbon applications such as Photoshop and Office is reportedly substantial.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
What did you expect? They released the things practically after the holiday season. People are just now breaking in their new iMac G5's. Only the Mac geek would know to hold out for MWSF. Also I think there is a fairly large portion of Windows users who are teetering on the edge of buying a Mac. what will push them over will be using Windows apps either via a Virtual PC (Should we start calling it Real PC now?) or dual booting. As for Adobe and Microsoft. *shrugs* Whataya gonna do? Its obvious that both are trying to play the market. They have had over 7 month. (Realistically as major software developers prob more.) Both with massive resources. If they wanted to they could have gotten UB's out by now.

jacobj

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Jersey
Think Secret has not been too hot on news lately. If this is true then I want to hear analysts telling us or someone else who has a reputation to maintain.

I agree that sales were likely to be low post the holiday season. All the initial release tells us is the number of Mac Freaks (me ;) ) have been holding out.

Jon'sLightBulbs

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2005
Chicago
This is the major pitfall of Apple's complete nondisclosure policy of leaving both consumer and developer in the dark about upcoming products. You leave Joe Imac buyer in the dark and he buys an imac for christmas, then is completely pissed that his new toy is obsolete within days.

But much more importantly, you leave software developers in the dark as well in order to keep this veil of secrecy and keep current stock moving. The result is that absolutely no native apps are availible at the Intel Imac launch. Rosetta emulation of Adobe apps is pitiful, and no Apple pro apps are emulated at all.

The secrecy really bit apple in the butt this time.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
I'm just waiting for the Intel version of the Mac mini (hopefully, there's gonna be a high-end model that has a Dual Core and a good GPU with 128MB VRAM).

As far as Rosetta is concerned, it'll only run for HandBrake, Adium X, OneButton FTP and TextWrangler (if they're not already universal binaries). Even if they're not, aside from HandBrake (which doesn't run real-time anyway), I won't see much of a difference.

Agent Smith

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2004
Toronto, ON
I'm not entirely surprised. Developers would have probably liked to have their Intel applications released at or slightly after the "scheduled" release of the Macintels, so their reactions at an early release are understandable. As for the sluggish sales, people are probably balking at the idea of buying a first-gen platform, especially since this platform is completely different from the last.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Jon'sLightBulbs said:
This is the major pitfall of Apple's complete nondisclosure policy of leaving both consumer and developer in the dark about upcoming products. You leave Joe Imac buyer in the dark and he buys an imac for christmas, then is completely pissed that his new toy is obsolete within days.

But much more importantly, you leave software developers in the dark as well in order to keep this veil of secrecy and keep current stock moving. The result is that absolutely no native apps are availible at the Intel Imac launch. Rosetta emulation of Adobe apps is pitiful, and no Apple pro apps are emulated at all.

The consumers I agree even though Apple still ended up making a sale. the developers no not really. Apple gave them a timeframe of by the time we meet here neat year. Which means sometime before June 2006. You'd have to be a complete moron not to see a potential target date of MWSF as a HIGHLY probable release date for Macintels. So Apple gave "average" developers 7 months notice along with the tools to make the transition. 7 months while not a lot of time for small shops is adequate for companies like Adobe and Microsoft who have resources out the ying yang.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Sluggish compared to what? And according to what source? And does it matter in the long run?

Remember:

* Pent-up demand is for new laptops more than for new iMacs.

* This is a HUGE transition, and nothing can ever make it completely free of side-effects. Some buyers playing "wait and see" makes very good sense. That doesn't mean they're playing "never buy a Mac." Delayed sales are still sales and Apple probably has the cash on hand to weather the alleged "problem" ;)

Marvy

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2003
Germany
I find this a bit hard to believe. Check out the official iMac Buyer's Forum here on MR: Alot of people (like me) are having delays in their orders of the new inteliMac. Some of them have had their orders delayed until March. Doesn't this suggest that there are more buyers than Apple had expected. Or does Apple's logistics department just suck? :p

Another thing I don't quite understand: Why is Carbon so much harder to translate than Cocoa? I though the Carbon APIs were available for Intel just like they are on the PPC. Isn't the real problem the endianess, which applies to both Carbon and Cocoa? :confused:

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
"Just check the little check box" was obviously an overstatement of the porting ease. Even Apple aren't ready yet with their major apps, and they knew about the change before anyone -- and some of it was up and running on Intel before they bought it!

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
Yvan256 said:
I'm just waiting for the Intel version of the Mac mini (hopefully, there's gonna be a high-end model that has a Dual Core and a good GPU with 128MB VRAM).
Same here.. 1300 euros for a computer is still too much for me and I refuse to buy a computer with Radeon 9200 & 32MB VRAM.. Mac mini is so obsolete.

phlavor

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
The work required to transition Carbon applications such as Photoshop and Office is reportedly substantial.

Is the the transition from Cocoa less substantial?

halse

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2004
the core duo iMacs/MBPs are at/near the top of Amazon's "top sellers" lists and have been since they were announced

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Macrumors said:
Meanwhile, sales of PowerPC-based iMacs and PowerBooks have reportedly dropped off considerably.
Considering that they are now selling machines that they advertise as between 2x and 5x faster yet have no price reduction at all on the PPC versions, I'm surprised that they are selling any at all.

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Jon'sLightBulbs said:

BS

You can't tell me Adobe, Microsoft and any other developer that matters didn't either:
A. Have inside info from Apple about it (we know MS did since they were on stage at the keynote)
B. Read the same rumor sites that the "mac geeks" read and know it was a strong possibility.

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
The only way forward for Apple now is to get the rest of the range developed and out in the shops as soon as they can. That and hope that Adobe are working 25 hour days, 8 days a week.

Arcus

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
of my hand will get me slapped.
toughboy said:
Same here.. 1300 euros for a computer is still too much for me and I refuse to buy a computer with Radeon 9200 & 32MB VRAM.. Mac mini is so obsolete.

Me too. I just bought a new LCD and would rather not waste the $500 I spent. Well, I can always give it to my GF :cool:

jacobj

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Jersey
nagromme said:
Sluggish compared to what? And according to what source? And does it matter in the long run?

Remember:

* Pent-up demand is for new laptops more than for new iMacs.

* This is a HUGE transition, and nothing can ever make it completely free of side-effects. Some buyers playing "wait and see" makes very good sense. That doesn't mean they're playing "never buy a Mac." Delayed sales are still sales and Apple probably has the cash on hand to weather the alleged "problem" ;)
Delayed sales are sales but it still reduces the revenue in a given year. If I buy now then I'll probably replace in 2 to 3 years. If I buy next year then I'll replace in 3 to 4 years. Investors don't play the 2 to 3 year game that much.

Epicurus

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
iMac's and Mac mini's are the infantry of the Apple line. If there are going to be casualties during the Intel switch, its better that the iMacs suffer rather than the PowerMacs and MacBooks. When people stop buying the Pro hardware, then we panic.

I'd wager that there is a lot of anticipation for the iBook revisions that are coming. The computer labs on campus here just bought a couple hundred PowerMac G5's so I don't anticipate the new iMacs to get much play for a while. Come the start of fall iBook and MacBook sales should skyrocket.

Honestly, how many people that the iMac targets really use FCP or Aperture for their daily existence? Isn't that the PowerMac market?

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
toughboy said:
Not only that, but I now have Mac mini-sized hubs and drives. Not to mention the 17" ViewSonic LCD I bought about 3 months ago.

If they can put an ATI Mobility Radeon X1600/128MB into a MacBook Pro, they surely can put one in a Mac mini.

Oh, and make the Mac mini and iBook default to 5400RPM drives, and MacBook Pro to 7200RPM ones.

And options/default 7200RPM for the high-end Mac mini (Mac mini Pro?).

wpwj40e

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
Hmmm.... I also find it hard to believe. A few folks I know that decided to order after seeing/hearing about mine have all been delayed.

Good luck finding ram in stock too. Not the Apple ram - but the after market...crucial etc.

Interestingly enough - most of the poeple I know buying one or seriously contemplating are PC WIN owners right now. The MAC fans seem to be the ones holding off.....That alone kinda scares me - what do you guys know that we newbies don't????:)

Therese
Happy owner of 20" intel iMac 1gig(needs more!), 256 vram

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
iMeowbot said:
"Just check the little check box" was obviously an overstatement of the porting ease. Even Apple aren't ready yet with their major apps, and they knew about the change before anyone -- and some of it was up and running on Intel before they bought it!
I'm pretty sure Apple is simply fine tuning the apps. with a shipment of March they are no doubt betaing it right now. And I wouldn't been too sure about Apple giving their development teams a head start. If they were given anything it was prob a matter of weeks. Apple did a pretty dang good job at keeping the transition quiet which prob meant only key people knew about this transition beforehand.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
SiliconAddict said:
As for Adobe and Microsoft. *shrugs* Whataya gonna do? Its obvious that both are trying to play the market. They have had over 7 month. (Realistically as major software developers prob more.) Both with massive resources. If they wanted to they could have gotten UB's out by now.
You forget that there is no money involved with porting the same shipping version of your product over to Intel/Xcode. Do you really think releasing a universal binary for the current version of Office or CS is worth the extra $49-99 (I'm guessing) Adobe or Microsoft would be expected to charge for "crossgrade" fees? I don't think so.

We'll see a UB for CS, when Adobe releases Creative Suite 3 simulatinously for both the Mac and PC.

We'll see a UB for Microsoft Office in late 2006 or early 2007 with the next shipping version.

Not to mention, Adobe's Creative Suite and Microsoft Office are HUGE programs that are going to take lots of time to port over (especially considering neither used Xcode).

Play Ultimate

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
No surprise here...

Let's see:
1) Post Christmas launch
2) Limited software
3) 1st Gen. Computer
4) Can't boot in Windows
No surprise that it is not selling "as well" as expected.

However, this would have probably happened regardless on when the Intel Macs were launched. It is better to get the painful part over earlier rather than later. The Intel Macs will be selling quite well by summer.

DeepDish

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2002
Slow sales???

I just bought the new iMac and my brother bought one too.

Besides, TS has really miss the mark lately.