Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
AMD doesn’t have CPU parts that are interesting to Apple. They’re only useful insofar as they keep Intel’s prices in check.

ElZamo92

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2013
These are the exact same CPUs as the ones released back in 2017 but with slightly higher clock speeds. Apple should switch their exclusivity deal with Intel and start using AMD’s better CPUs.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
These are the exact same CPUs as the ones released back in 2017 but with slightly higher clock speeds. Apple should switch their exclusivity deal with Intel and start using AMD’s better CPUs.

AMD's "better CPU" is not close to Intel sorry. Intel just took this game to another level......

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
AMD's "better CPU" is not close to Intel sorry. Intel just took this game to another level......

Not quite. The 2950X is a 16/32 processor that snugged up right along the 7980XE which sported 18/36. One is an $800 processor, the other retailed for $2,000. TR2's 2950X had a major leap in ST performance over the 7980XE, whereas the latter had a healthy margin against the 2950X at MT workloads. The chart you linked to also doesn't bench Threadripper 3 or even Epyc, but that's another story. If Intel had faith in their processors annihilating a 3rd gen Threadripper, they wouldn't have had to slash pricing on 10th gen i9 processors by 50%. If your product is the much better product, you can command whatever price you want. And people will pay that price.

It took AMD 3 generations of desktop processors to get to where Intel is right now, on a 5+ year old very refined node. Intel released Broadwell in 2014 with their 14nm node. Here we are now. And, of course, the unannounced in timely fashion security vulnerabilities targeting Intel's fast and loose design decisions to be coming soon.

If you want to read a bench test for real world use, Puget Systems released a pretty cool article. I should note Puget Systems, to my knowledge, hasn't redone tests under the Windows 10 1903 environment which fixed scheduler issues for Ryzen processors, which boosted their performance. Windows 10 19H2 is said to offer more scheduler fixes for both AMD and Intel processors, as well as optimize the kernel. But as you can see, the 7980XE's $2,000 price tag isn't worth spending now or a year ago after these benches were conducted. However, tests done on Resolve are better as they make better use of either Intel or AMD processors versus Adobe's products.

Edit: Your article also links this within.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
BTW, it's healthy to be critical of each chip maker. I don't invest in either so I'm free to state my opinion without bias. I do know Intel will come back and be at end's with AMD in a year to two years once they unleash their chiplet processors utilizing a monolithic die. Chiplets cut down on waste by a wide margin and even then we should see sane pricing by Intel, even if AMD fall off the back of the truck again. Intel can't claim poor productions rates, because everything is the same, and chiplets are binned on whatever cores are working, and laser off bad cores.

I decided against building a new workstation this year just to see what the hardware landscape will be next fall.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
They serve different customers. The Mac Pro is the highest performance machine for people who need expansion cards and/or very high-end GPUs. The iMac Pro is for power users who do not need that.
iMac Pro with eGPU can be very capable machine, too.

Mac Pro only wins where you need to run multiple GPUs simultaneously, and you need everything to be on logic board (storage, GPU...), not outside.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Not quite. The 2950X is a 16/32 processor that snugged up right along the 7980XE which sported 18/36. One is an $800 processor, the other retailed for $2,000. TR2's 2950X had a major leap in ST performance over the 7980XE, whereas the latter had a healthy margin against the 2950X at MT workloads. The chart you linked to also doesn't bench Threadripper 3 or even Epyc, but that's another story. If Intel had faith in their processors annihilating a 3rd gen Threadripper, they wouldn't have had to slash pricing on 10th gen i9 processors by 50%. If your product is the much better product, you can command whatever price you want. And people will pay that price.

It took AMD 3 generations of desktop processors to get to where Intel is right now, on a 5+ year old very refined node. Intel released Broadwell in 2014 with their 14nm node. Here we are now. And, of course, the unannounced in timely fashion security vulnerabilities targeting Intel's fast and loose design decisions to be coming soon.

If you want to read a bench test for real world use, Puget Systems released a pretty cool article. I should note Puget Systems, to my knowledge, hasn't redone tests under the Windows 10 1903 environment which fixed scheduler issues for Ryzen processors, which boosted their performance. Windows 10 19H2 is said to offer more scheduler fixes for both AMD and Intel processors, as well as optimize the kernel. But as you can see, the 7980XE's $2,000 price tag isn't worth spending now or a year ago after these benches were conducted. However, tests done on Resolve are better as they make better use of either Intel or AMD processors versus Adobe's products.

Edit: Your article also links this within.

I post article about OC. You post 4 paragraphs ignoring OC.

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2017
iMac Pro with eGPU can be very capable machine, too.

Mac Pro only wins where you need to run multiple GPUs simultaneously, and you need everything to be on logic board (storage, GPU...), not outside.

I did not argue that the iMac Pro was not a capable machine, just that it is not targeted at people who require very high end GPUs (like the Radeon Pro Vega II Duo).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.