Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkal1en

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Hi

I need help. I inadvertently had a powered USB hub touch the metal casing of my Power Mac Pro desktop whilst it was powered on and it went off and I have not been able to turn it on since. If I pit a USB into the USB drive it (USB stick) will light up and then go out but nothing else.

Can anyone tell me what the issue is, I think I have shorted the Mac, also can anyone tell me I'd this is an easy fix??

Thanks

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Hi

I need help. I inadvertently had a powered USB hub touch the metal casing of my Power Mac Pro desktop whilst it was powered on and it went off and I have not been able to turn it on since. If I pit a USB into the USB drive it (USB stick) will light up and then go out but nothing else.

Can anyone tell me what the issue is, I think I have shorted the Mac, also can anyone tell me I'd this is an easy fix??

Thanks

It's not really clear what was on and what is broken.

But to reset the power system, unplug power and hold power button down for 10 seconds, then replug and try again.

darkal1en

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Sorry not that technical and so not being very clear. What's stopped working is my Mac Pro. Basically it was on working as normal then when I attempted to connect a powered USB hub to it I touches the metal casing with the powered hub USB connector, metal to metal and this resulted in the Mac Pro powering off and I have been unable to power it on since. I tries the power reset but no joy.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I don't think connecting a USB hub can kill a Mac Pro. Anyway, did you check the power supply of the Mac Pro? May be the circuit breaker was tripped.

darkal1en

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Hi I would have thought not also however it was a powered hub that had a USB microphone connected to the hub also and when I tried to connect it to the USB on the front of my MP it all went dead! Both the Mac and the microphone no longer work work which is why I think I may have fried something in both components!! Now I know the power supply to the Mac is OK as I have checked the fuse etc and I have a Bluetooth mini dongle which when put in a USB slot in the Mac stays lit up (red) so its drawing power from the Mac. But that apart the Mac is dead.

----------

I'm wondering if the power supply to the USB hub was incorrect could this have caused the issue with my Mac and the microphone, perhaps an electrical surge of some sort. If so what damage has this causes to the Mac are there specific components that would need replacing/repairing and the likely cost? I need to know how best to proceed really but in order to do so I news some clearer idea of the issue/ damage.

Thanks

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
Hi I would have thought not also however it was a powered hub that had a USB microphone connected to the hub also and when I tried to connect it to the USB on the front of my MP it all went dead! Both the Mac and the microphone no longer work work which is why I think I may have fried something in both components!! Now I know the power supply to the Mac is OK as I have checked the fuse etc and I have a Bluetooth mini dongle which when put in a USB slot in the Mac stays lit up (red) so its drawing power from the Mac. But that apart the Mac is dead.

On the cMP, the front USB, Firewire & Power switch is on a stand alone PCB. There is a good chance you have only damaged this board. (it contains power protection circuitry to protect the Mainboard)

922-8889.jpg

There is a different version of the Apple Front Panel Board for (1,1 & 2,1), (3,1) and (4,1 & 5,1). If you have a 4,1 or 5/1 cMP, you'll need to remove the CPU Tray, PCIe Fan, and Lower CPU fan assembly to fully access the board.

This vendor has good pricing. There may be cheaper options available. YMMV http://www.dvwarehouse.com/Apple-Front-Panel-Board-c-5597.html&pltid=doafvld1j6k82i1k03oklrpl10

darkal1en

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Many thanks, I will have to have a bit of an investigation.

----------

Oh out of interest where could I pick up this board at a reasonable cost? Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.