Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eric S.

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
No, but they are Montevina's based. DDR3 is not from Santa Rosa's for sure!

They are not Montevina-based, and the fact that Apple went with a chipset from Nvidia instead of using Montevina, plus their summer focus on MobileMe, the new iPhones and iPods, allowed Windows laptops to get a 3-month jump on the faster new technology.

servers will be first, desktops later, then notebooks.. IN AUGUST !!!

First you said six months then an hour and a half later you say ten months. I still say development of a new laptop platform will take a minimum of twelve months, especially given Apple's recent track record.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
There's no reason to question what chipset these processors belong to because the new macbooks no longer contain an Intel chipset.

The "new" montevina core 2 duos are just variants of the penryn core. We won't see a genuine core change until Calpella, which brings Nehalem.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
And in regards to Capella, it'd be interesting to see if it'll end up being based on 32nm Westmere rather than 45nm Nehalem. The first 32nm parts are supposed to show up in Q4 2009, so a 1 quarter delay to move Capella to 32nm may well be worthwhile.
Apparently Westmere (Bloomfield successor) is the first CPU to be released on 32 nm, in Q1 2010 (although production may happen in 2009). The 32 nm successors to Lynnfield, Clarksfield, Havendale, and Auburndale appear to be delayed to Q3 2010 at the earliest. :(

On a side note, the SFF versions of mobile Nehalem (whatever nm) don't seem to be coming until Q3 2010 or later. Sorry MacBook Air. :(

I think you're mistaken, clarksfield are quad-core only. There will be no 35W clarksfield (at least at launch). What is currently a 45W part (Q9100/QX9300) will become a 55W part under nehalem. What should be a 35W part (Q9000) will become a 45W. The current dual-core (auburndale) will also have their TDP increased due to the integrated memory controller (and gpu) so current 35W part will become 45W, and current 25W parts will become 35W. TDPs of LV/ULV nehalem are still unknown.
The 10 W TDP increase just seems that way. The on-chip memory controller is responsible for the 10 W increase, so total heat output is equivalent. (At least that's what I've heard.)

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
You can install and run nearly any application on a lab Mac. If you can drop it into user space it's all yours. I've informed professors that they can install applications onto their desktops when they were only given standard user access.

If you've living in a dorm open up file sharing on your Mac and abuse your static IP address. (If you're lucky enough to get on at your university.)

I'm rather sadden that your instructors allow you to use Wikipedia as a source to be honest. Don't you have a library or database subscription from your university? I was also good friends and still am with the campus Macintosh administrator.

Well I am in highschool right now and the lock the computers (all Macs) down to hell and back. I can't run any unauthorized programs, I was able to work around this for awhile by editing the data inside the app to make it appear as Safari or any other program but it just got tedious. Heck I can't even mount a disk image!

2. I assume that is sarcasm

3. It was a joke

And I don't think they are going to let me organize all my music on their servers anyway, really I more or less just need to buy a new computer and I will take it to college.

We're off topic, oh well looks like I should get at least some sort of speed bump, back to school sale and hopefully Snow Leopard + iLife '09 or whatever.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Well I am in highschool right now and the lock the computers (all Macs) down to hell and back. I can't run any unauthorized programs, I was able to work around this for awhile by editing the data inside the app to make it appear as Safari or any other program but it just got tedious. Heck I can't even mount a disk image!

2. I assume that is sarcasm

3. It was a joke

And I don't think they are going to let me organize all my music on their servers anyway, really I more or less just need to buy a new computer and I will take it to college.

We're off topic, oh well looks like I should get at least some sort of speed bump, back to school sale and hopefully Snow Leopard + iLife '09 or whatever.
I'm not sure what you're calling a joke or sarcasm. Could you clarify on that?

Why would you use the space in your network home directory for music? If you want a skip out on a computer a Time Capsule or AirPort Extreme is more then enough to set up an AFP/SMB mount point. I had friends sharing out music and their HandBrake'd TV/movie collections from their static IP.

I wish your high school wasn't as restrictive on your computer usage. It's more of a hindrance then an encouragement.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
:D

The middle school I used to go to also had Macs that were locked down a lot. All System Preferences panels were disabled. The dock was also locked. One would also get in trouble for using apps in the Utilities folder, even for benign purposes. I got around some of the restrictions by editing .plist files as well as iPhoto's set image as desktop workaround, though. The thing is, the Macs used to be less restrictive but over a year they locked it down more and more. We used to make bundles and invisible folders, and store "secret" files in them as a way of silent protest (as well as attempting to find workarounds for the restrictions).

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
I really don't get it.. Why upgrade in April to a Peryn Processor when in July/August you'll have Nehalem + Snow Leopard??
April's upgrade would be useless, don't you think? .. unless you really really really need it :)

The most recent update was Oct. 14. Add 6 months = April, 2009, just in time for a refresh. Add 6 more months = Oct, 2009, just in time for Nehalem. I expect Snow Leopard will be finalized between June and September, 2009, possibly released then or in October with new laptops.

PacMookBro

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2007
This article tells us that next worthy upgrade is when MBP ships with Snow Leopard. People, just wait for the MBP that comes with Snow Leopard! Hopefully the new MBP gets most of the "Rev. A" problems worked out and matures with some kind of matte LCD by the time Snow Leopard is released. Fingers crossed... :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.