Intel on Apple's Influence... and Other Apple Gadgets?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

News.com's Apple Blog posted quotes from Deborah Conrad -- vice president and directory of "Team Apple" at Intel. This group was reported to be formed back in November to help Apple with their transition to Intel chips. Such a dedicated team is reportedly not uncommon for large customers of Intel.

So, Conrad's team, works closely with Apple on use of Intel technology. When questioned about whether or not Apple was planning on using Intel chips inside the iPod, Conrad states that we aren't "going to see anything soon". However, she did hint that there may some exciting progress in future gadgets:

But when it comes to future gadgets other than the iPod, "that's where we get very, very excited."
Unfortunately, the context of the quote is a bit unclear, but suggests Apple has more "gadgets" in the works.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Bring on the gadgets! I was underwhelmed by the iPod HiFi, so my expectations for Apple's new developments have been tempered for a while, but there's plenty of opportunities for Apple to show off their ability to innovate.

adamcz

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2003
Intriguing quote. Tablets seem like the most likely answer, of all the devices we've already got rumors on.

firsttube

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2004
at least he didn't call them other apple widgets... :D

phil

Edit: and don't mind my sig, i have a dual core 1.83 intel imac now!

janstett

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2006
Chester, NJ
Hmm, other gadgets... What else does Intel have in the parts bin? I'm familiar with the IXP425 line of embedded processors, plus Intel is a big player in the UPnP market and also provides reference UPnP devices. Maybe Apple will jump in?

MacRonin

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2002
in denial…
This is what I see coming from Apple sometime soon:

8" widescreen multi-touch LCD
1.06GHz ULV Core Duo CPU w/2MB shared cache
533MHz FSB
512MB NAND flash memory
2GB DDR2 SDRAM (two SO-DIMM slots)
32GB 1.8" FlashRAM HDD
Intel GMA950 integrated GPU
WUSB (wireless USB)
AirPort Extreme
BlueTooth
Quad band cell capabilities
Pivoting iSight camera (270?)
stereo BlueTooth headset w/microphone
Stylus

Mac OS X v10.4.6
iLife
iWork

About the size of a DVD case (which is really close to a 16:10 ratio) and half again as thick...

US$666

Happy 30th Birthday Apple Computer

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
firsttube said:
Edit: and don't mind my sig, i have a dual core 1.83 intel imac now!
You can change it in User CP. ;)

I'm all for new gadgets! I just can't think of anything other than a PDA or Phone - I'm sure they'll come up with some cool stuff though.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Given that this was in a room full of reporters, I doubt Ms. Conrad had a slip of the tongue and was giving away something that Intel or Apple wanted kept secret.

If this was a hint, it could be one intended to keep the public interested, or to pass a "we'd love to talk about anything you have in mind" hint to Apple.

boncellis

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2006
Salt Lake City
Does this signal the end of the dying Apple-Motorola relationship?

I am not surprised by these sentiments at all, Apple's success with the iPod was sure to translate into more consumer electronics at some point.

I must be in the minority, but I would love Apple to implement the VIIV platform in a home media device. If VIIV won't work with Apple as some have suggested, then maybe they could meet half-way.

heyjp

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2003
Space Ghost's Armband

So, what is that thing? Didn't Space Ghost invent that back in 1966?

Jim

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
it's what we don't see

Much like the Willy Wonka Factory (the imaginary one, not the real one), I am sure that the most exciting products that Apple makes never see the light of day. Perhaps they are too risky. Perhaps they can't produce enough of them in a stable state. Perhaps there's no market. Perhaps they can't make them affordable. Or, perhaps they're just ahead of their time. We'll never really know, short of sneaking into Apple Campus.

I remember many moons ago, when I was in sixth grade, which is about 11 years ago, Macworld had an issue with Mac products that were either never released or maybe they were like mockups.

munkees

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2005
Pacific Northwest
In the 2005 when Steve Jobs announced the Move to intel, he hinted a new technology, This just confirms that.

I hope it a really cool integrated graphics that could do 2D and suck at 3D, use shared memory. Oh we have that LOL :D

lonepilgrim

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2006
London
Conrad also weighed in on the recent contest to install Windows XP on the new Intel-based MacBook Pro. "I thought it was pretty funny," she said. "I actually thought it took a lot longer than people expected."
That's quite an unprofessional thing to say!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.