Intel paving the way for Quad-core notebooks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pressure, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

In Q'3 Intel will introduce the Quad-core Core 2 Extreme 9300 (45 nm) that runs at 2.53Ghz with a 1,066Mhz Front Side Bus. Even though it has a Thermal Design Power of 45 Watt, it should be doable.

Future upgrade option for MacBook Pro's?

Source: Intel to launch quad-core notebook CPU in 3Q08.

Discuss :)

2. FelonyRuckus macrumors newbie

3. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

And just what is the average consumer / user going to use a quad core laptop for? They will never use it to its maximum capabilities

4. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

Not so much for the MacBook but would be handy in the iMac for Encoding M4V for my AppleTV.....quad core come on!

5. danhig123 macrumors member

That is quite short sighted of you. In a couple years I would imagine it will be standard.

6. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Multithreaded applications. Ableton Live is one. There's a few about.

Then again, way back when some people thought 640KB was more than enough memory :)

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Someone thought that?
    He/She must of been a windoze creep :D Poor b'stard. :rolleyes:

8. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

I remember reading that that quote was mis-accredited to a well known windoze creep, but he never actually said it.

9. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I myself have a first generation 1.83 GHz MacBook. I am not going to buy a desktop machine anymore. And I am not going to buy any dual core notebook, because it won't give me enough difference for the money. I know there are people going mad about a ten percent increase all the time, I don't.

Any quad core notebook, and I will be right at the front of the queue. :)

10. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Yeah yeah... Sure... :rolleyes:

Didn't they also claim Vista was gonna be a MacOSX beater?
    ...well that didn't work out either!

11. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

oh well!
    another reason for the " waiters" to wait!:D

12. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

They never said it would be a MacOSX beater. Probably because Windows just has OSX whipped at the moment (just look at the market share). That's the thing about windows, they don't even have to be good and they still sell better than OSX :)

(OMG i'm gonna be killed by the fanboys now, please have mercy! )

13. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

And didnt they say the LG Voyager was going to be the iPhone Killer ;)

My OP was not short sited, just what was going through the brain housing at the time. Seeing how I dont use multi thread applications I would not give that a thought and some of you may be correct. Just my opinion. One thing for sure I will not be the first in line, let others be the testers and post the issues with a new systems . Actually the current MBP I am using is just fine. I heard a genius say the life expectancy of a Apple computer is 5 years, why? Cause you cant get parts after that, I think she was trying to push a couple into buying a new computer.

14. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

↑↑fanboy :rolleyes:

That's probably because every PeeCee owner out there has to buy a new copy of winblows whenever they buy a brick!! On a Mac, the software comes with the hardware...

And judging from the number of switchers recently (on those forums), OSX gonna be catching up!! Give it some time... Apple Just getting started. :D

15. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Yes you do. Finder runs on one core, and your app of the moment runs on the other.

Or you might be playing a tune through iTunes while doing some work. Or downloading a large file at the same time. Or your mail application is doing some downloading of email. And Spotlight is reindexing the HD. Meanwhile Time Machine is making your latest backup.

That's a pretty average working day. Time machine runs every hour, email every 5 minutes, iTunes right through, Finder is doing its little things every now and then.

You might not be running a multithreaded app, but there's a lot of things going on in a modern OS system.

Most apps are actually multithreaded, just that all the threads expect to share a single core. Multi-core aware apps are quite a new thing.

16. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

Stop saying heat and price. It's going to happen eventually...Probably not til mid next year, although I can't predict the future unfortunately.

17. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

The price of the software though is included in the price of apple hardware. Just as the price of windows is included with Dell computers. At least on a PC you can choose not to pay for an OS.

Just getting started? Don't you mean getting started again? They were the first to market (with the Apple II) and yet they still lost, who's to say it won't happen again.

This might play out like the AMD revival of the last few years. Intel were top dog for ages and got sloppy, releasing the P4, but when they were roused they rained down fire and brimstone on AMD with their Core Duo. MS is in their P4 stage at the moment. Windows 7 (and or Vista SP2) could be their Core Duo.

18. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Quad core laptop chips are going to be standard when Nehalem hits Summer 09. Then, it will be quad core or dual core with integrated GPU. There will be no dual core only solution, and yes, the TDPs are from 35 to 45W. However, each core will have dynamic clocking (that even allows it to extend beyond TDP for short time) to make core usage efficient. That said, most of the time you won't be using all 4 cores. Intel knows what they are doing, and in the next few years quad core will be standard (also remember Intel is bringing back SMT, which means two threads per core).

19. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

20. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Good post. Even multi-core "pro" apps are quite common these days. Don't forget the 4 core chips will hit so-called "pro" machines first.

21. SirOmega macrumors 6502a

Quad Core iMac Possibly Q3 08

[merged post --mkrishnan]

http://www.digitimes.com/mobos/a20080313PD219.html

Intel will launch a Quad Core mobile CPU - 45W at 2.53Ghz and 12MB of cache on a 1066MHz FSB. Will go along with the Montevina platform due out soon.

At $1000 just for the CPU however, its going to be pretty expensive (I'd guess $2799).

I'm skeptical of it going into a MacBook Pro simply because its going to be very hot and have a significant negative impact on battery life.

22. Tracer macrumors 6502

Can't imagine many iMac users will be able to pony up that much for an iMac.

Base Mac Pro/Quad iMac both @ $2800

Mac Pro is the easy decision there.

Tracer

23. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Main difference now, Apple's current range of systems run Intel Processors which makes the playing field much fairer, actually it's pretty much level. There's native Winblows compatibility for those that want it... that's a bonus in itself! It's no longer the hardware battle as it used to be but a battle of the most stable, most user friendly and most importantly, the most secure operating system!! Users don't want their privacy invaded - I know, I don't.

So, unless Apple screws up it's FreeBSD based OS they should be onto a winner!... I think (just my opinion) we definitely need more 3rd party support when it comes to enabling regular Winblows hardware on Mac. Yes, alot of devices do work but there's still a huge section which doesn't, just because some of us don't use them, doesn't mean they don't need supported.

To really make the platform really fly and give windoze a run for it's pole, we need more entertainment titles, ideally from the likes of SteamPowered, Blizzard, ID Software and various larger organisations should really consider porting it's popular titles to the Mac. Perhaps this will come when the user base is larger?

From my knowledge, most game entertainment companies don't wish to invest millions on developing or porting it's games and technology to a platform which isn't gonna reap additional profits - software marketing alone takes 25-40% of it's costs.

24. AreanFSL macrumors 6502

Maybe I don't see it.. on a laptop i'd expect battery life/heat to be an issue. I don't see it happening on a iMac, if that level of interest is there for an quad-core iMac than Mac Pro is the way to go. I don't think this would happen because there Apple's Mac Pro line-up purchases would decrease dramatically.
    Can someone shed the light, how this would benefit Apple?

25. ptjh macrumors regular

can't wait for quad mackbook pro's. A music producers dream!