Intel Processors Core 2 Duo, i3, i5, i7 Which one is best

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wicked1, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Ok, so I have had a Core 2 Duo for a couple of years and I am pleased with it's performance, but I can not find anything that compares the C2D to the newer i3, i5, or i7 as far as speed etc.

I went to the Apple store and messed around with the new MBP and even the iMac's but I can not really tell the difference, also how does it enable power boost on the Macs, I do not believe this is something that is user enabled?

Anyone know of any links or videos that show comparisons?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Maybe bechnmarks can help: http://www.primatelabs.ca/geekbench/mac-benchmarks/
    or
    MacBook Pro 15″: Core i5 Vs Core 2 Duo

What were your search terms? I got plenty of results via "c2d vs i5" or c2d vs i7".

from http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/performance.html

or

from Intel® Turbo Boost Technology

video: MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo Versus Core I7 Reboot from http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=macbook+core+2+duo+vs+i7&aq=f

3. mark28 macrumors 68000

An iMac (Late 2009) - Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33 GHz (2 cores) is slower than a i5 MBP? :eek:

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

That's because there is no difference to notice when you're simply messing around. The speed difference will be seen when using processor hungry apps, say with rendering in final cut, photoshop, number crunching in a big database in matlab, etc.

For those things, the new processors are indeed much faster, for day to day computing, you probably won't notice much.

5. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

i5 would be the best, i7 wouldn't be that noticeable unless you do some hardcore stuff

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For many common tasks, i.e., surfing, documents etc, you'll not see any appreciable difference between a core2duo and an i5. Only when you start working on applications like Aperture, and Photoshop does the higher horse power show up.

Personally, I prefer the smaller form factor (and price) over the larger faster 15" MBP

7. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Intel's processor naming is quite confusing. There are very different models of i3, i5 and i7 (Core 2 Duos are very comparable), so you have to look closer.

In general, more cores means more power; hyperthreading means a little bit more power, i3/i5/i7 are a bit faster than Core 2 Duo with same specs, and more GHz is more speed. In practice, many people will never, ever notice the difference because the Core 2 Duo is just fast enough.

"Power Boost" works automatically. What it does is make the processor run faster if only one core is used; or if only two of four cores are used (because unused cores means less heat is produced which means Intel can run the chips at higher speed). Which is nice if you have software that runs long enough to make you wait, but is too stupid to use more cores. In reality, the software would run a lot faster if it was written to use all cores on your computer.