Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ExiledMafia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
Last edited:

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
That is WRONG. It does affect the mobile chipsets as well. Quote from AT:

Have you noticed a lack of dual-core Sandy Bridge based notebooks on the market? Intel wanted to but couldn’t launch every last SNB SKU at the same time, so the dual-core notebooks got pushed out until mid-to-late February. Unfortunately, that was pre-bug. With this latest delay you shouldn’t expect dual-core SNB notebooks until a few weeks after their original launch date, at the earliest.

If we assume fixed chipsets are available in the last week of February, they can be put into systems the first week of March. Then expect at least a week of testing and validation if not more. Add another week to ramp up production and we’re looking at late March or early April for dual-core SNB notebooks. Those of you waiting on Apple’s updated MacBook Pros fall into this category. I’d say April is a safe bet if you’re waiting on an upgrade.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4142/intel-discovers-bug-in-6series-chipset-begins-recall

ExiledMafia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
I'm gonna go ahead and believe intel's report on this not some random blog....

Last edited by a moderator:

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I'm gonna go ahead and believe intel's report on this not some random blog....

Intel's report stated that ALL Intel 6-series chipsets (Cougar Point) are affected, that INCLUDES mobile chipsets.

List of Cougar Point chipsets

As part of ongoing quality assurance, Intel Corporation has discovered a design issue in a recently released support chip, the Intel® 6 Series, code-named Cougar Point, and has implemented a silicon fix.

http://newsroom.intel.com/community...es-chipset-design-error-implementing-solution

ExiledMafia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
Anandtech is hardly "some random blog." Especially coming from a January 2011 registered member.

Okay so maybe I was a little loose with my words when I said random blog, I'll admit Anandtech is a great site. I just find it a little weird that macrumors quoted intel.

But for you to bring up that i just became a member in January basically means that I possibly cannot have any good information right? Wrong whatever though I thought the name "Demi-God" would mean that not only are you very informative but also welcoming to the newest members. Go figure right haha...

bossmanjunior

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2010
i've heard both sides, i dont really think anyone knows yet. I'm sure apple will take this chance to delay mbp anyways. lookin at april realistically (probably even without the delay)

on a side note anandtech is a more reliable blog than macrumors even. macrumors mostly collates info from other blogs while anandtech is a guy who knows a lot of people in the industry and as noted in the article, got his information from a conference call WITH intel.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Why would you start a thread with straight up wrong information? According to the article from andtech, Intel's report states that 6-series chipsets (Cougar Point) are affected, including mobile CPU's.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Okay so maybe I was a little loose with my words when I said random blog, I'll admit Anandtech is a great site. I just find it a little weird that macrumors quoted intel.

The Intel quote did not say anything about it being limited to desktops. MR made their own conclusions based on false information that Cougar Point is only for desktops, which is wrong like I have noted billion times already. The front page article has been updated BTW

ExiledMafia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
So lets recap I admitted being wrong about not affecting notebooks, which was not my fault because I read it on macrumors, and admitting being a little quick to call Anandtech a random blog, which I did trying to be a little defensive. I made note of my mistakes never once becoming so defensive that I started yelling and calling out other member because I have x many more posts than them. Once again I am sorry for my mistake, hint for next time maybe you could be a little better at getting ur point across instead of just forgetting that others may have been misinformed. Anyways i guess it does affect mbp though truthfully I wasnt expecting the new mbp til early april anyways

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I would think Apple's version of Sandy Bridge would be custom made (chipset), no?

I saw hellhammer quote in another post that the previous chips used were standard.

Yeah, the chipsets Apple use in iX Macs are standard Intels. HM55 for iX MBP and P55 for iMacs. Even if it was a custom chipset, it would most likely utilize the same SATA parts as standard chipsets

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
Yeah, the chipsets Apple use in iX Macs are standard Intels. HM55 for iX MBP and P55 for iMacs. Even if it was a custom chipset, it would most likely utilize the same SATA parts as standard chipsets

Oh ok, thanks for clearing that up! I'ma just wait anyways, I'm sure when Apple updates the mbp and imacs, they will have all the kinks worked out since it'll be later release than the PCs.

daytonaATL

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2011
I could have sworn that the laptop version of the new Sandy Bridge chips were called “Huron River”, while majority of the desktop version chips where called "Cougar Town"

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I could have sworn that the laptop version of the new Sandy Bridge chips were called “Huron River”, while majority of the desktop version chips where called "Cougar Town"

Huron River is the name of the mobile platform. It consists of Sandy Bridge CPUs and Cougar Point chipsets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.